The Jellyfish - new granular synth

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

And the granular takeover continues :ud:

Just saw this one passing, haven't seen any discussion about it...

With all the latest granular synths we got recently, not sure if that one is really bringing something really new & fresh on the table like for example Novum did, but always good to have options so I thought it might interest some of you.

No demo unfortunately.

LIVE-INPUT GRANULAR DREAM WEAVER

-Granular synthesis engine: create new sounds from real audio
-Live record your voice or instrument and turn it into a soundscape
-Drag and drop your favourite sounds to use them as source audio
-MIDI-map to audio markers to create new instruments
-Audio Unit, VST3 and standalone. Mac and Windows.
-Save your patches to presets and use the built-in audio library

https://mimugloves.com/plugins/the-jellyfish/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htndFeXZ-_U
Last edited by Neon Breath on Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Yeah looks goods, was surprised to see they’re Uk based. They certainly look like a serious company. Also interesting is their gestural glove midi controller and software that supports leap motion, one of which I have languishing in a drawer
Amazon: why not use an alternative

I like the colour scheme. I suppose, these days, I compare all granulars to Novum because of its features. There're not only its granular engines but you can generate notes, sync rhythms and modulate to your heart's content.
If you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with bullshit.

90 dollars for a jellyfish. Pricey for what it does imho.

That’s a goofy interface. Having a static image of a jellyfish being moved around like a 90s clipart cutout is very reminiscent of a terry Gilliam animation.

Edited
Last edited by Vortifex on Thu Dec 07, 2023 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vortifex wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:20 am The live record feature is cool. But apart from that, Pigments is actually a little more capable. Jellyfish requires drone mode to use its looping modes but Pigments has those with normal keyboard playback too. Seems like a decent enough plugin, but I wouldn't gamble £99 on it working on my system without a demo.
I agree - we need a demo. Too much cash to outlay without even a demo!!!!

never enough granular plugins
aliasing plugin owner
:?

True, but there have been a few lately and Novum is very had to beat in my opinion, and I paid less than $90 for it, anyway, no demo, no interest.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:41 pm True, but there have been a few lately and Novum is very had to beat in my opinion, and I paid less than $90 for it, anyway, no demo, no interest.
as a granular, but also a spectral & additive addict, every granular is of course interesting.
this one, i don't know what it adds, i see nothing special, very basic, and for a price. emergence is a better alternative, me thinks.. or Silo, or Fragments, or Crusher-X or... the many M4L granular devices..

well, a sidenote, it is not strange, but i every time suprised that Novum is called a granular synth.
i see the granular part more the way it handles, plays the spectral part. the spectral part is were i begin, timbre settings, lanes, etc. etc. and yes the granular part is very important... for playing the parts.

a sidenote.

but OT, what gives this synth for 90 dollar? yes it can slice by notes... "MIDI-map to audio markers to create new instruments".

as the OP stated, there are a lot, a lot of granular options nowadays. and i must admit, i have an aresenal.

Seems the dev is planning on having a demo version, from his comments on their Youtube demonstration.

I guess for someone not owning any other granular synth, this could be an interesting, clean and neat option. Although I think Audio Damage Quanta 2 for 30$ more only is much more complete and powerful. But for any granular veteran already owning some other granulators, I doubt this will bring anything new.

very goofy UI agree, Granulizer 2 looks much better in comparison and it is one of the best sounding granular synths ever made by humans
aliasing plugin owner

martiu wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:43 pm very goofy UI agree, Granulizer 2 looks much better in comparison and it is one of the best sounding granular synths ever made by humans
Tell me about those made by aliens…

Tj Shredder wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:35 am
martiu wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:43 pm very goofy UI agree, Granulizer 2 looks much better in comparison and it is one of the best sounding granular synths ever made by humans
Tell me about those made by aliens…
that will be crusher x
aliasing plugin owner

I'm kind of interested, admitedly because I'm a sucker for both granular and sea-inspired GUIs, so they have my attention. Over 100 payasos with so little info available, no documentation, copy protection used nor demo... they lost me there.

Return to “Instruments”