Studio One 6

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Studio One Artist Studio One Professional

SantaClaus wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 7:50 am
syntonica wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 7:42 am
SantaClaus wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 5:36 am
syntonica wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 5:11 am Not true. You don't HAVE to update your OS on Mac at all, unlike Windows who downloads updates, installs them and then waits for the most importune time to force a reboot.

If your software works, then stay with it. If your computer OS works, then stay with it. If your computer hardware works for you, stay with it.

Upgrading and updating and spending money unnecessarily is not going to make you more talented. You get your inspiration from the world, not your tools.
If you buy a 12th gen CPU from Intel, you're pretty much forced to use Windows 11, and guess what, Studio One v4 does not (officially) run on Windows 11.

It's not always as simple as saying "Just don't update".
Do you NEED a 12th Gen CPU from Intel?

I never said "Just don't update". I updated to a new M1 MBA for the huge speed upgrade (~5x faster) from my 2014 i5 MBP. It's still on Monterrey. I don't forsee updating the OS at all. No reason to.

I have an iPad for all the latest, up-to-date whiz-bangery. It will be updated until it will no longer take updates. Then it will be used until websites start telling me the browser is too old.

But my music laptop is frozen. It will probably go in the pine box with me.
Yes I needed a 12th Gen CPU because I found it at a very good price compared to the AMD equivalent, which did replace my 10 year old CPU that couldn't handle granular libraries. I understand what you are saying, but everything isn't black or white, I was in a situation where I needed to upgrade to Windows 11 and unlike someone mentioned it above, Studio One v4 has many bugs on W11.

The first thing we should blame are the companies, then the consumers.
10 years old? Ouch! You definitely needed an upgrade. I could have lived with the i5-4278U, but there were some plugins that it couldn't handle even one instance with certain patches, so freezing wasn't an option.

I did wait almost two years, though, and got a refurb when I could afford it. But the software sutuation has been glacial! I'm still waiting on my DAW to go M1, but it's the last of what I use. I've been looking at Reaper, Studio One Artist and Bitwig as replacements, but they just can't replace MuLab for me, so Rosetta is it for now.
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

syntonica wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 5:11 am Not true. You don't HAVE to update your OS on Mac at all, unlike Windows who downloads updates, installs them and then waits for the most importune time to force a reboot.
That's incorrect, you don't HAVE to if you have the Pro version, it's quite easy to too have it not update at all and therefore not download and install nor be forced to reboot. Until recently I was still on v1903, I only let it update to v1909 because it was required for the latest BFD3.

If you don't have the Pro version it is still possible, just requires a little more leg work.
Say NO to CLAP!

HM wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 1:07 pm
Insanelysane wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 7:46 pm Best service offer "valid through 2nd January":

Save 20 €/$ with every purchase from 99 €/$ - Promo Code: HNY2023-20

Save 40 €/$ with every purchase from 199 €/$ - Promo Code: HNY2023-40

Great time to upgrade Studio One Pro 6 for $102 and you get a freebie from Best Service list too.

https://www.bestservice.com/index.html
Thanks ,.. used the oportunity for S1 upgrade ,.. more decent priced than even Thomann

Now waiting for the serial unfortunately ,.. they could not handle it right away

Topped up with Best Service - StudioBox SFX Fantasy Bundle for the video-works
Is materialism devouring your musical output? :ud:

soulata wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 6:52 am StudioOne v4.6 runs just fine on w11.
I can confirm that. No issues here.

Just because it doesn't say Windows 11 on the box, it doesn't mean it won't run on it. Windows 11 "eats" most of what Windows 10 eats anyway, as the differences in the core of both products are minimal.

jinotsuh wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 9:50 am
That's incorrect, you don't HAVE to if you have the Pro version, it's quite easy to too have it not update at all and therefore not download and install nor be forced to reboot. Until recently I was still on v1903, I only let it update to v1909 because it was required for the latest BFD3.

If you don't have the Pro version it is still possible, just requires a little more leg work.
I like just checking a box to turn auto-updates on or off. And only having two versions of the OS--server and client. I've never liked how Windows handles updates except at the enterprise level.
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

jinotsuh wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 1:35 amI guess a bit like why do I get the old SS serviced on time every time, apart from warranty reasons, alas since Holden bit the dust I can't get a new one every year now, but I digress, on top of that there are always 1 or 2 new features that I like and find come in handy, even if I didn't realize it at first.
So ignorance, then? The reason you get your car serviced on time is that engine oil, in particular, has a life cycle, so if you don't service it when it's due, you take a risk with the longevity of it. After all, your engine was made in Mexico, not a country known for its manufacturing or automotive prowess.
But most of all, and I can't stress enough how important these 2 points are, because I want to, and because I can. :tu:
Ah, narcissism. Got it.

Note that in your whole response you only mentioned generalities. I assume that's because none of it actually applies to your decision to upgrade to v6.
syntonica wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 5:11 am
chk071 wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 11:24 pm... at some point it is likely that you will have to upgrade, especially when you're on a Mac computer and an OS or hardware which breaks compatibility with older software..
Not true.
Bullshit.
You don't HAVE to update your OS on Mac at all
Bullshit. You can't run Mountain Lion on a M1 Mac. If you want the newest, fastest hardware, you have no choice but to upgrade your OS along with your hardware. OTOH, I could buy a brand new PC today and install Windows XP on it if I wanted to.
... unlike Windows who downloads updates, installs them and then waits for the most importune time to force a reboot.
... and more bullshit. It's not 2005, Windows reboots when, and only when, you tell it to or tell it that it's OK to (outside Active Hours). And if you don't want to keep your security updates current you can pause updates. The computer I am typing this on, for example, hasn't had an update in about 4 months, since I bought it.
If your software works, then stay with it. If your computer OS works, then stay with it. If your computer hardware works for you, stay with it.
So it doesn't matter if something even better comes along, just keep using the same old shit, stay in the same old rut. Really? That's a very creative outlook.
Upgrading and updating and spending money unnecessarily is not going to make you more talented. You get your inspiration from the world, not your tools.
Speak for yourself. ALL of my musical inspiration comes from my tools.
SantaClaus wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 5:36 amIf you buy a 12th gen CPU from Intel, you're pretty much forced to use Windows 11, and guess what, Studio One v4 does not (officially) run on Windows 11.
No you don't.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 12:02 pm No you don't.
If you own a CPU with a "K", only Windows 11 recognises both the E-cores and the P-cores, and I need these, so yes, you do.

nevermind

chk071 wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 4:06 pm
soulata wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 6:52 am StudioOne v4.6 runs just fine on w11.
I can confirm that. No issues here.

Just because it doesn't say Windows 11 on the box, it doesn't mean it won't run on it. Windows 11 "eats" most of what Windows 10 eats anyway, as the differences in the core of both products are minimal.
Guess what, I did try v4 on Windows 11 and I had plenty of bugs. Cool if it works for you, but it didn't for me and many other people.

SantaClaus wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 7:32 pm Guess what, I did try v4 on Windows 11 and I had plenty of bugs.
Can you mention some?

Interested if I can reproduce those on my system.

The chord track was offset (by a semitone or a whole tone), when I pressed say A on a MIDI controller, the DAW would understand a B instead. The playhead was acting up too.

That being said, that was back when Windows 11 was just released, if it's better now that's good news.

SantaClaus wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 7:54 pm The chord track was offset (by a semitone or a whole tone), when I pressed say A on a MIDI controller, the DAW would understand a B instead. The playhead was acting up too.

That being said, that was back when Windows 11 was just released, if it's better now that's good news.
I have no idea. I'll check it out, thanks.

I wouldn't even know how to access the Chord Track or any of those features, much less have any idea how to use them.
SantaClaus wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 7:24 pmIf you own a CPU with a "K", only Windows 11 recognises both the E-cores and the P-cores, and I need these, so yes, you do.
So a small sub-set of 12th gen CPUs require W11 but that's just one of a dozen or so in the series. It's something worth being aware of but hardly the end of the world.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 12:02 pm
jinotsuh wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 1:35 amI guess a bit like why do I get the old SS serviced on time every time, apart from warranty reasons, alas since Holden bit the dust I can't get a new one every year now, but I digress, on top of that there are always 1 or 2 new features that I like and find come in handy, even if I didn't realize it at first.
So ignorance, then? The reason you get your car serviced on time is that engine oil, in particular, has a life cycle, so if you don't service it when it's due, you take a risk with the longevity of it. After all, your engine was made in Mexico, not a country known for its manufacturing or automotive prowess.
But most of all, and I can't stress enough how important these 2 points are, because I want to, and because I can. :tu:
Ah, narcissism. Got it.

Note that in your whole response you only mentioned generalities. I assume that's because none of it actually applies to your decision to upgrade to v6.
lol, the usual old BONES reply I see, and, as usual you haven't got a clue what you are talking about. Here I'll flick you a dollar so you can go out a buy yourself one lol :tu:
Say NO to CLAP!

BONES wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 11:04 pm So a small sub-set of 12th gen CPUs require W11 but that's just one of a dozen or so in the series. It's something worth being aware of but hardly the end of the world.
In audio you do want a "K" CPU because of the clock speed, which means having an unlocked CPU for the single thread performance.
It's no coincidence if people in the audio field buy the "K" or "X" version of a CPU, and it's not because it looks shiny on the box.

Does it make a difference right now? Probably not, just like having an i5 10 years ago vs an i7 didn't really matter, but it did after 5-6 years, same thing here.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”