Cubase Pro 12 pleasantly surprised

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Necron wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 12:53 pmFor me, the minimal structure is perfect to work on loops, ideas etc. I collect this later and build this out to a full song.
Scratch Pads in Studio One are very good for this and you can open one up at any time, no matter where you are in the process. I think it's one of S1 handiest features but you don't see much mention of it.
kritikon wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 9:56 pmIt takes a few seconds to load up? Seriously that bothers anyone?
It definitely matters on stage when you are trying to keep the energy levels up or even just keep a nice flow from one song to the next.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

How do you route an instrument track to an audio track?
This was piss easy in Reaper,still have no clue in Cubase.
Even Cakewalk is a doddle routing Vsti audio to a seperate audio track.

Ok ,I found it duh.

Right click ,Add Track,FX Channel (or) Group Channel to Selected Channels.

My eyes deceiving me(again). :clown:

summer2000 wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:42 pm
kritikon wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 9:56 pm The mixer - undecided with that one. Some of Cubase 12 mixer is great, some not so much. I still can't customize it quite the way I want but it's flexible enough to get by with. I personally f**king detest the way it activates channel record when I select a channel to tweak. So many times I've diddled around with a channel and it's recorded it or recorded over something by accident. Fooking stupid. Probably there's a way of turning off that dumb feature but I just haven't found it yet.
Select Edit > Preferences. Open the Editing—Project & MixConsole page and activate Enable Record on Selected Audio Track or Enable Record on Selected MIDI Track.

In your case, deactivate those options.
Many thanks. I thought it would be in there somewhere. You have officially saved me quite a lot of brain-ache. :tu:

kritikon wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 2:35 am
summer2000 wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:42 pm
kritikon wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 9:56 pm The mixer - undecided with that one. Some of Cubase 12 mixer is great, some not so much. I still can't customize it quite the way I want but it's flexible enough to get by with. I personally f**king detest the way it activates channel record when I select a channel to tweak. So many times I've diddled around with a channel and it's recorded it or recorded over something by accident. Fooking stupid. Probably there's a way of turning off that dumb feature but I just haven't found it yet.
Select Edit > Preferences. Open the Editing—Project & MixConsole page and activate Enable Record on Selected Audio Track or Enable Record on Selected MIDI Track.

In your case, deactivate those options.
Many thanks. I thought it would be in there somewhere. You have officially saved me quite a lot of brain-ache. :tu:
No problem. I'm still learning Cubase/Nuendo myself. :D
Mac Studio M1 Max 10-core CPU, 32-core GPU, 64GB RAM, 4TB SSD | Logic Pro 10.7.5 | Cubase Pro 12 | Nuendo 12 | Studio One 6 | Seagate 8TB external HDD | Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 2nd Gen | Akai MPK261 | Akai MPC X

I could not print midi notes on a midi track routed to an audio track printing wav files at the same time from a vsti instrument with Cubase 12 Pro.
In Reaper and Cakewalk,this is achieved easily.

I don't know what I have to do to achieve this in Cubase.

I thought this was the bees knees of DAWS?

It has great instruments and it looks great but the routing in it is rooted(stuffed in Aussie Parlance)

Routing is more convoluted than in Reaper or Cakewalk.

REaper is ugly as eff but boy ,it is soo more practical and functional.

Even Cakewalk is easy with routing.

When I go to the rack and add an instrument in Cubase,I want to able to not select any out puts.

Cakewalk does NOT leave any smeg Instrument output tracks in the track pane.

All you have to do is add a midi track and select the instrument in the output section of that midi track.

Then when you add an audio track,you select the Instrument as the input of that track.

Reaper does pretty much the same.

Trying to do this in Cubase,well I am still farting around finding out how to do this. :dog: :cry:

When I go to an Audio track,all I have in the input section is Stereo Bus or No bus,it does not see the instrument like Reaper and Cakewalk can.

I've tried Studio one, logic, Fl studio, didnt look at ableton looked weird, and cubase. Cubase was the best out of the lot for me and the most stable lol

Studio one was nice but seemed like a dumb down version of cubase. When I tried it it didn't have a chord track or enable / disable tracks, and the midi editor seemed awful to use. I researched and the guy who founded/made studio one was an EX steinberg egineer. He left presonus shortly after creating it and I figured the software wouldnt be updated with anymore good features, but over the years they've seem to been adding features from cubase. I still havent tried it again but I can only imagine if the guy had stayed on the team it would of probably caught up with cubase by now.

@smasha

Edit// it's alot easier than i made it sound you can learn a bit how cubase routing works though if u read below lol

https://imgur.com/a/a94q3wv
look at this quick album
1: right click instrument, add group channel
2: add audio track, put input as group channel
3: hit record on both lol

complicated way:

create an audio track and an instrument track with the VST you want
Go to mixer, right click and create a group channel then change the routing from the instrument track from "stereo out" to the "group channel" in the mixer
or just ctrl+right click the instrument's mixer track and select "add group channel to sellected channel" to auto create routing of instrument track to group channel

then on inspector
set the input of audio track as the "group channel"
then just hit record button on both audio and instrument track

then you can record audio and midi same time

So you have the instrument track output routed to a group track, then group track can be used as input to an audio track...

That's the way I do it atleast when I need to record realtime FX from plugins lol

Smasha wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 1:38 am How do you route an instrument track to an audio track?
This was piss easy in Reaper,still have no clue in Cubase.
Even Cakewalk is a doddle routing Vsti audio to a seperate audio track.

Ok ,I found it duh.

Right click ,Add Track,FX Channel (or) Group Channel to Selected Channels.

My eyes deceiving me(again). :clown:
As far as I know, that only works in the Pro version of Cubase though...

At least I haven't found a way back when I still owned Cubase Artist to record a VSTi's output directly.

BONES wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 12:35 am Scratch Pads in Studio One are very good for this and you can open one up at any time, no matter where you are in the process. I think it's one of S1 handiest features but you don't see much mention of it.
These seem pretty nice!
https://s1manual.presonus.com/Content/A ... tchPad.htm

I couldn't quite tell from the web page. If you drag audio in - does in take all channels, or just the ones you copy? And if you add channels in main do they also add to the scratch pad?

I always end up with a few sections of audio off to the right in Cubase, where I've moved stuff or tried things out.

In Bitwig there are more options. New 'scenes' are quite easy to add and duplicate to try variations, but often the main thing to work on are actually transitions between scenes so these often also end up copy pasted out to the right in the arrange window.

Bitwig has a really nice and slick feel when there are multiple projects loaded, it's quick and easy to switch between different projects and copy and paste etc. This means a save as can also work quite well to make a copy and use as a scratch pad.

Smasha wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 8:25 am I could not print midi notes on a midi track routed to an audio track printing wav files at the same time from a vsti instrument with Cubase 12 Pro.
In Reaper and Cakewalk,this is achieved easily.

I don't know what I have to do to achieve this in Cubase.
Simply use "Real-Time Export" in the Export dialog.
More BPM please

_leras wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 12:25 pmI couldn't quite tell from the web page. If you drag audio in - does in take all channels, or just the ones you copy? And if you add channels in main do they also add to the scratch pad?
It only adds what you drag into it.
I always end up with a few sections of audio off to the right in Cubase, where I've moved stuff or tried things out.
Yeah, I used to do the same in Cubase.
Bitwig has a really nice and slick feel when there are multiple projects loaded, it's quick and easy to switch between different projects and copy and paste etc. This means a save as can also work quite well to make a copy and use as a scratch pad.
Studio One is also good like that and you can drag individual tracks from any project into the one you are working on from the Browser. I often use that when I spend a lot of time working on something and realise that something in the old version was better - I just delete the bad track and drag the good one in from the previous version. Or drag the old one in and A/B them to decide which to keep. It's a very handy feature. It probably exists in other hosts, too, but with Studio One I feel more inclined to try those things. I was never comfortable enough in Cubase or Bitwig to ry stuff like that.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Smasha wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 8:25 am I could not print midi notes on a midi track routed to an audio track printing wav files at the same time from a vsti instrument with Cubase 12 Pro.
I have no idea what you are even talking about. Are you printing a score on paper? Exporting audio and MIDI? I can't get my head around what you're saying.
When I go to an Audio track,all I have in the input section is Stereo Bus or No bus,it does not see the instrument like Reaper and Cakewalk can.
Why would you want to do that? What are you trying to achieve? It's likely you just have to do it a different way in different hosts.
HREQ wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 10:06 amI still havent tried it again but I can only imagine if the guy had stayed on the team it would of probably caught up with cubase by now.
You are assuming their goal would be to catch up with Cubase but, at that point, what would be the point of Studio One at all? I like it because it's not as convoluted and overly complicated as Cubase. If it ever "caught up" to Cubase, why woudln't I just go back to Cubase?

BONES wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 11:15 pm
I have no idea what you are even talking about. Are you printing a score on paper? Exporting audio and MIDI? I can't get my head around what you're saying.
Why would you want to do that? What are you trying to achieve? It's likely you just have to do it a different way in different hosts.
I think what he/she wants to do is to record the instruments in midi and its output in audio in one go, so he/she has 2 tracks one with midi and another with audio (like when setup external synth the old way, one track for midi and another for audio).

I don't know why also he/she wants that for a soft synth/instrument! He/she could just record in midi first then right click the midi clip and render (bounce) to audio!
HREQ wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 10:06 amI still havent tried it again but I can only imagine if the guy had stayed on the team it would of probably caught up with cubase by now.
You are assuming their goal would be to catch up with Cubase but, at that point, what would be the point of Studio One at all? I like it because it's not as convoluted and overly complicated as Cubase. If it ever "caught up" to Cubase, why woudln't I just go back to Cubase?
I agree. I believe S1 team is looking at both Cubase and Logic (among others) and taking the best things with their own creations and fit it all together. They are doing a great job at that as well. Just give them some time to polish their ideas.

I'm trying (for the 100's times!) to get rid of what I'm not using nowadays. Cubase is one of the DAWs I'm selling.
I tried to swallow it with Cubase performance (especially in Windows), but it really annoys me to see I must live with all that CPU spikes and keep checking if my recording is not affected or not!

Anyway, I kept S1 5.5 Pro and Live lite for Windows and Logic/S1/Live lite for Mac. To be honest, my time is spent mostly between Live lite and S1 now. But, I'm looking to use Scratch Pad as a main tool in my workflow. I think I'm reaching for a great workflow in S1, but I need the Pro version because it has the scratch pad. I think later when some updates to v6 appear, I will upgrade to the Pro version.

I think I will add Live Standard to my arsenal and that's it! Live lite approved to be really great for me as I can organise my ideas with the 8 tracks. I thought to expand to the intro version but the problem it lacks the EQ8 and External Instrument (among other tools).

TY HREQ

I used your NOOB dumbo version.

I could not understand your advanced version,old and getting dumber by the day lol.

I could not do this though:

"Go to mixer, right click and create a group channel then change the routing from the instrument track from "stereo out" to the "group channel" in the mixer"

Over my head.

Reading that I assume you change the instrument tracks output but because it is an instrument track,I can't change it to anything else.

Reaper you can do all this very easily compared to Cubase.

P.S. Ok,I usedthe track panel to change output instead of the mixer channel.

Gees,Cubase is so convoluted.

Convoluted? It makes perfect sense that you change the output of a channel on the channel itself. It's one click (2 if you count clicking on the channel to select it). I actually can't see how it could be any quicker...click on output drop-down then select the output you want.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”