switch from bitwig to another daw

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

machinesworking wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 5:14 pm
I don’t agree, MIDI comping is better than what Bitwig did, it’s an extra step to use something comped in the Clips window I don’t lose sleep over it. I want comping to get the best parts, MIDI is included in this.
Bitwig will add Midi Comping...

Once Bitwig adds Midi Comping, they will also have the possibility to have Hybrid Comping combing both midi and audio cause they have hybrid tracks.

I was referring to the comping workflow itself and especially how powerful audio editing is with it. Live is limited because of the track based approach to comping and that Live clips cannot contain multiple audio events like Bitwig clips can.

pdxindy wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 5:36 pm
machinesworking wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 5:14 pm
I don’t agree, MIDI comping is better than what Bitwig did, it’s an extra step to use something comped in the Clips window I don’t lose sleep over it. I want comping to get the best parts, MIDI is included in this.
Bitwig will add Midi Comping...

Once Bitwig adds Midi Comping, they will also have the possibility to have Hybrid Comping combing both midi and audio cause they have hybrid tracks.

I was referring to the comping workflow itself and especially how powerful audio editing is with it. Live is limited because of the track based approach to comping and that Live clips cannot contain multiple audio events like Bitwig clips can.
Hmm? so I should wait around for MIDI comping in Bitwig because eventually it will be better than Lives… nope, not buying that argument. Right now Lives MIDI comping is not vaporware, what bitwig has is more like a looping device than comping, and it’s not that appealing to me sorry.

Oooh! Bitwig vs. Ableton fight!

THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

jamcat wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:00 pm Oooh! Bitwig vs. Ableton fight!

Hey at least it’s not Mac VS PC right? :hihi:

I have some reasons why I prefer Ableton to Bitwig.
Ableton Simpler -> There is no simple and convenient way to have a similar feature in Bitwig. The simpler is just too nicely integrated into the DAW.

Found the comping feature a bit problematic in Bitwig, if I accidentally double-click on a comping lane all the comp selections are lost (maybe there is a way to prevent this from accidentally happening). Also, no midi comping in Bitwig.

Both Ableton and Bitwig don't have ARA support. Eagerly waiting when these start supporting ARA and per clip FX features (like Cubase's direct offline processing, and Reaper).

I found that non-destructive audio clip editing is very convenient in Cubase and Reaper.

A very subjective and non-audio reason is that Ableton looks better and darker lol (piano roll, etc).

amitmusician wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:45 pm I have some reasons why I prefer Ableton to Bitwig.
Ableton Simpler -> There is no simple and convenient way to have a similar feature in Bitwig. The simpler is just too nicely integrated into the DAW.
BOOM!

Imagine if Studio One implemented clip launching in Version 6.

eerie_audio wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:59 pm Imagine if Studio One implemented clip launching in Version 6.
Yeah, they could have renamed it Studio Wig and lost all their customers to Cubase.
Darn.

jamcat wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:01 pm
eerie_audio wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:59 pm Imagine if Studio One implemented clip launching in Version 6.
Yeah, they could have renamed it Studio Wig and lost all their customers to Cubase.
Darn.
I was always under the impression that it's better to have features available that you can choose to use or not, rather than having features unavailable entirely. I'm pretty sure most people don't use every feature in Cubase, but they are nice to have available for those who do. Same thing goes for Studio One and the new video editing, not everyone is a content creator, but it's nice to have the ability to do so, if later they choose to use it. I'm pretty sure the new ability of being able to configure the UI the way you want could be used to simply remove it from ones view, problem solved.

syntonica wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 4:49 pm All I hear is "Waaaah! Bitwigz evil cuz they make me pay for stuff I deserve fir free!"
When you get tired of licking their boots I’ve got a great offer for you: pay me $400 and I’ll give you a Ferrari.

Hint: you might not get the Ferrari, but don’t come crying to me.

machinesworking wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 5:50 pm Hmm? so I should wait around for MIDI comping in Bitwig because eventually it will be better than Lives… nope, not buying that argument. Right now Lives MIDI comping is not vaporware, what bitwig has is more like a looping device than comping, and it’s not that appealing to me sorry.

Of course Bitwig does not currently have midi comping. Bitwig's audio comping is significantly better than Live's audio comping. That's the point I'm making. And it makes a difference for me that I can do audio comping in the Clip Launcher. Live is restricted to Arrange.

One guy here would be super happy. I think he's the guy on the left in those pictures above.

If presonus would fix their MPE support from old-fashioned “loads of automation lanes” to bends attached to notes, I wouldn’t even be looking at Ableton Live now.

pdxindy wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:24 pm
machinesworking wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 5:50 pm Hmm? so I should wait around for MIDI comping in Bitwig because eventually it will be better than Lives… nope, not buying that argument. Right now Lives MIDI comping is not vaporware, what bitwig has is more like a looping device than comping, and it’s not that appealing to me sorry.

Of course Bitwig does not currently have midi comping. Bitwig's audio comping is significantly better than Live's audio comping. That's the point I'm making. And it makes a difference for me that I can do audio comping in the Clip Launcher. Live is restricted to Arrange.
That's subjective. I don't think its significantly better just because it can be done in the launcher. I mean its cool but I'd rather a complete experience than a half baked one. If you work in a linear DAW Ableton's comping is comparable and pretty feature complete compared to Bitwig's. Also let's get off that "when Bitwig implements" because they haven't shown any indication that they will add this feature or when. Just like they haven't shown any indication that they will add more features the Piano Roll, add groove templates, slicing in the sampler. If I'm dropping money now it doesn't have those features, Ableton does. It's really that simple imo.
Studio One // Bitwig // Logic Pro X // Ableton 11 // Reason 11 // FLStudio // MPC // Force // Maschine

apoclypse wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:42 pm
That's subjective. I don't think its significantly better just because it can be done in the launcher. I mean its cool but I'd rather a complete experience than a half baked one. If you work in a linear DAW Ableton's comping is comparable and pretty feature complete compared to Bitwig's.
I didn't say it's better only because of being able to comp in the launcher. That is just one reason. There are a number of other significant reasons as well.

Anyway, you aren't interested in the subject, so no point to go on with it.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”