Arturia Minifreak VST

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
OnePingOnly

tony10000 wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:43 pm Good overview of the hardware and VST by David Hilowitz:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsI1KfhRXQo
Great review

Biome_Digital wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:43 pm This synth has bottom end. It has sine waves, play them low. Bass.
even the mi sounds can be used for bass if needs be.
theres big organs in there, play that shit low, you get vibrating windows.

thing is, we have a billion and one synths that do awesome fat assed basses. there is other things in most music, not all sounds or synths, need to be there for the big stuff. something to juxtapose that can be most beneficial.
ebm, i can see the mutable stuff, not fitting anywhere. its not for aggressive in your face sounds.
so bones not liking it, totally understandable.

vurt wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:22 pm
Biome_Digital wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:43 pm This synth has bottom end. It has sine waves, play them low. Bass.

thing is, we have a billion and one synths that do awesome fat assed basses. there is other things in most music, not all sounds or synths, need to be there for the big stuff. something to juxtapose that can be most beneficial.
ebm, i can see the mutable stuff, not fitting anywhere. its not for aggressive in your face sounds.
Agreed, I am working with this synth now and it's pretty cool! :tu:

Biome_Digital wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:37 pm
vurt wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:22 pm

Agreed, I am working with this synth now and it's pretty cool! :tu:
im not, dont have it :lol:
but i am currently, this second, playing about with the original plaits :love: the sounds came from :tu:

What is this obsession with the bottom end? I don't understand that. When you play that isolated, it can sound nice, but later you anyway eq it out...

Igro wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:44 pm What is this obsession with the bottom
well you know bones and his analog fixation...

sQeetz wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:02 pmYou're so stiff in your way of doing things.... like how old are you? in your 60ies? sure sounds like it.
It's got f**k-all to do with that, it simpy comes down to teh sheer amount of choice we have in front of us. There is no need to compromise and, in this instance, no reason to compromise, either. I kind of get why people put up with the ladder filter in a MiniMoog, because it's got the biggest, fattest oscillators around, but where's the reason to put up with the thin sound this thing makes, for which you will normally have to pay $150. At $49, maybe it doesn't matter but that's just an intro price, the full price is crazy for the way this thing sounds.
On Minifreak, if I open patches like "Clean'n'tidy" or "OpenJamBass".... the bottom end is there.
So one or two bass patches actually have bass, is that really helping your case?
Pytchblend wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:25 pmWTF does that have to do with anything. Being ageist is pretty low!
It's a valid question, ageism doesn't stretch to this kind of situation. But I'm sure he knows full well how old I am, it's not like I keep it a secret.
sQeetz wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:35 pmIf you insist on preaching your old, outdated way of doing stuff
And what, exactly, would that be? I'd suggest that my production methods are likely light years ahead of yours.
tony10000 wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:05 pmYep, I am older than BONES! To give you some idea, I started writing for Electronic Musician from the first issue in 1986 or so
Unless you were in your 30s at the time, you may not be older than me. I'm 64, born in '58. IT's mostly just a meaningless number, significant of nothing.
rezoneight wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:18 pmOld f**ks do get stuck in their ways. Its an unfortunate part of getting older unless you actively work against it.
That's a ridiculous generalisation. In the last 5 years I've switched hosts twice, none of the instruments we used on our last album featured at all on any previous album, literally none, and the album we are working on now will also mostly feature instruments we've not used previously. My production technique has been completely overhauled in the last few years, I don't do anything the same way today I did when I produced our last album. It's a whole new paradigm with a cleaner, more stripped back sound that still manages to sound as huge as we like it to.
vurt wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:22 pmebm, i can see the mutable stuff, not fitting anywhere. its not for aggressive in your face sounds.
All meaningless. It sounds just as thin and digital, no matter what kinds of sounds you want from it. It's not just about it being unsuited for bass sounds, pads and leads also sound weak. They might cut through a mix and sit in better, but maybe that's not what you want all the time. I think in any situation, you'd always be able to find something that works better. That shouldn't be something you say about a $150 synth.
Igro wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:44 pmWhat is this obsession with the bottom end? I don't understand that. When you play that isolated, it can sound nice, but later you anyway eq it out...
You might, I don't. The only thing I use EQ on is my vocals. Everything else comes from the instruments themselves.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Bones sez: "Unless you were in your 30s at the time, you may not be older than me. I'm 64, born in '58. IT's mostly just a meaningless number, significant of nothing."

I was 30 at the time. Will be 67 in a few days.

BONES wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:16 am
rezoneight wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:18 pmOld f**ks do get stuck in their ways. Its an unfortunate part of getting older unless you actively work against it.
That's a ridiculous generalisation.
Every post you make here is proof man. As people get older they get more and more resistant to change and if you looked it up you'd see your own photo staring you back in the face. Why the hell do you think the other poster even asked the question? Because you come off like some stodgy old fart who can't see anything past the end of their own nose.

BONES wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:16 am And what, exactly, would that be? I'd suggest that my production methods are likely light years ahead of yours.
naah 8) :lol:
void main(dumb)

Any illusion of KVR being a young, hip place has flown out the window (of a stagecoach or horseless carriage, probably).

rezoneight wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:17 am As people get older they get more and more resistant to change . . .
Many organisations – perhaps like PwC - hold notable differences in their attitudes toward job applicants and workers of different career stages. Negative stereotypes such as inflexible attitude, low trainability and resistance to change have come to stigmatise older workers. While empirical research has demonstrated that many of the stereotypes about late-career workers are unfounded, until recently, the stereotype that older workers are more resistant to change has rarely been investigated for its empirical validity.

In 2013, the Journal of Managerial Psychology published an intriguing study investigating empirically the commonly held stereotype that older workers are more resistant to change. The study, conducted by Florian Kunze, Stephen Boehm and Heike Bruch, builds upon several career and life-span models, particularly Paul and Margret Baltes’ model for selective optimisation with compensation (SOC), to examine if and how an employee’s age might relate to their resistance to change taking into account occupational status and tenure as important moderators. Data was collected from a sample pool of employees in 93 German companies from a number of industries (including services, manufacturing, trade, and finance) and ranging in size from 19 to 3,269 employees with 30,061 employees overall. In sum, the study found that, contrary to common stereotypes, age does not seem to be a barrier to change. In fact, younger employees in the sample were found to be more resistant to change than their older colleagues. Explanations for this counter-intuitive finding can be drawn from the SOC model itself which is a good framework for explaining why older employees might have better strategies for coping with organisational change. Additionally, the researchers found that occupational status and tenure moderate the relationship between age and resistance to change such that older white-collar workers and short-tenure workers are less resistance to change than older blue-collar workers and long-tenure workers. (source, a LinkedIn article citing the Wall Street Journal, which is behind a paywall)
Wait, young employees were more resistant to change? Ruh roh. Older people might have better strategies (and experience, I'd say) for dealing with change.

Still, what the hell does resistant to change mean? I'm resistant to the change in my state of being alive. Not a bad thing.

Since I was a kid, I tended to want my parents' house and later my house to stay relatively the same--but I never freaked out about changes to the houses, and I was still in favor of logical changes. Age has had no effect on my sentimental tendency.

My Uncle Gary was changing shit all the time, up until he died in his sixties. New house or apartment or condo every few years--same with cars. Redoing his furnishings all the time.

In both our cases, it is a personality thing.

I did read another article saying it is harder for old people to adapt to change due to deterioration of a part of the brain that has to do with adapting.

But let us put aside these age-related ad hominem attacks and stick to the arguments put forth, in a logical manner.

I like some of the sounds I have heard from the Minifreak VST, and I will check it out down the road if I'm swimming in moula (not likely).
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

rezoneight wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:17 amEvery post you make here is proof man. As people get older they get more and more resistant to change
Are you completely f**king stupid? How do you manage to conflate facts about an instrument with being resistant to change?

Maybe you simply don't understand what the term means, so let me give you an example. Here's something you said on the Saurus thread last July, which clearly shows your complete lack of flexibility of mind - "I have absolutely no plans to ever move to a Windows PC unless Apple goes out of business". So someone could come up with a PC that was 10 times faster than any Mac, that cost one-tenth as much to buy, could fold up to fit in your pocket and would run for a week at full power on a single battery charge and you wouldn't buy it if it was running Windows? That, my friend, is what resistance to change looks like. Someone who is so set in his ways that he won't countenance change.

OTOH, I actually bothered to download, install and demo Minifreak. Why would someone who is supposedly so resistant to change do that? Wouldn't that person be eternally happy with the things they already had?
sQeetz wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:23 amnaah 8) :lol:
Prove it. Give us a link to some music you've made. It's easy enough to hear mine anywhere you care to look for it.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Chill out guys, can we go back on track - topic forum pls :wink:

I feel like if I knew everything like Mr BONES I would spend my time differently. I would cut back some on the making music nobody wants. I would totally cut back on trying to win the battle of opinions on the internet by shear volume of words and availability for shit posting. I would instead produce a product that others can actually use and reflects my superior opinion. It would be a better use of time than looking like a dude that can't do anything right besides overwhelm others with their opinion. I would then win every argument by just telling people to AB their shit vs mine instead of needing to rely on a lot of trust me bro to have an opinion that matters.

Return to “Instruments”