Parawave Rapid Discussion Thread II

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
RAPID Synthesizer

I also think Rapid is great. Their smear-y method of resynthesis is pretty cool and unlike other synths I own, and they have one of the best granular engines in a swiss army-type synth. If I had one gripe, I wish it had MSEGs instead of the Massive performer style sequencer, but it's not a deal breaker for me.

chagzuki wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:54 pm
VELLTONE MUSIC wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:53 pm I am not saying it's bad synth or something,just don't like filters so much compared to Icarus,but most synths compared to Icarus filters sound mediocre,i just have enough already to do what i like inside the daw as multilayering - from my perspective developers should ask me to work witth their products and to devlop what i develop.
Cheers :)
I spent some time with the Icarus demo and the filters are interesting. For the moment my conclusion is that they're probably not what I'm after. I like the fact that there are diverse and unusual filter types (the rectify seems good), but the standard LP filters when driven seem to produce something that sounds like a distinct/pronounced square wave around the cutoff point. At least so far, I prefer more typical simulations of Moog and MS20 filters particularly for bass patches, for a more organic and gritty sound. But I will spend more time with demo.
They are different animals for sure - i just dig really deep now into Icarus sound and modulations,so my opinion can't be objective ,as my taste my not be same as yours, so test everything inside your mix and deside what works for your,that's best lurking advice i follow :)

cake builder wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:28 pm I also think Rapid is great. Their smear-y method of resynthesis is pretty cool and unlike other synths I own, and they have one of the best granular engines in a swiss army-type synth. If I had one gripe, I wish it had MSEGs instead of the Massive performer style sequencer, but it's not a deal breaker for me.
They mentioned MSEGs are coming. And there is supposedly a big update coming soonish.

Hoping for MPE mode one day! Especially with all the new controllers coming out this synth would be insane with MPE. Overall still such a great synth as is though.
Black Octopus Sound | Samples & Presets | VST Plugins & Software (Diva, Harmor, Spire, FL Studio, IK Multimedia & more)

How are they expansions? Are they worth it?

tdm71 wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 1:27 am How are they expansions? Are they worth it?
Depends on what you're after and prepared to pay. You save around £9.24 right now with the 30% off which brings the price down to around £21.55 inc tax for any of the expansions. Youtube demos and full listings are on the site.

This is the last day (7th Jan) that Parawave Rapid is on sale with 50% off and 30% off expansions, atm.
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

THE INTRANCER wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 7:49 am
tdm71 wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 1:27 am How are they expansions? Are they worth it?
Depends on what you're after and prepared to pay. You save around £9.24 right now with the 30% off which brings the price down to around £21.55 inc tax for any of the expansions. Youtube demos and full listings are on the site.

This is the last day (7th Jan) that Parawave Rapid is on sale with 50% off and 30% off expansions, atm.
Expansions are 34.99 EUR ??

zeph wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 11:40 am
THE INTRANCER wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 7:49 am

Expansions are 34.99 EUR ??
Yup- and everyone has to pay tax, even if you are not in the EU.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

The sale price is already there....if it was 21.55 Pounds on sale I would have bought a few.
They are 35.28 Euros on sale price for me (around 31.05 pounds according to xe currently)
rsp
sound sculptist

The expansions are quite good and come with a lot of new material (wavetables, samples) if you like rolling your own patches. You're not just getting a 1k file with settings for a block of sounds.

That said, man, are expansions spendy. However, that's their business model and you have to decide if you're getting value for what you spend.
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

Ok i fixed the missing content that was unfortunately part of the original link. This should be all good now. The "ML" folder still needs to be placed within Rapids "Sound Content" folder. The read me file explains this. Again sorry about that everyone. Should be all good now! I hope lol.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TF3o6- ... share_link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hl_pgu-OXAc
Last edited by MattLeschuck on Mon Jan 09, 2023 12:23 am, edited 3 times in total.

I love Rapid but don't use it as much as other synths for a few reasons:

1. I hate synths that do not load the patch as soon as you single click on the preset. With Rapid, you have to double click on the patch name or hit enter (or use the arrow keys at the top). I prefer synths from other companies (u-he, Synapse, Tone 2, etc.) that allow you to single click and listen to patches. Much quicker.

2. I think Rapid should improve their factory patches and create a wider range of sounds. For example, compare Rapid to Dune 3. It's factory patches are stellar by comparison and include a lot of very creative sounds that show off the power of the synth.

Definitely agree with you on the factory patches.
rsp
sound sculptist

Yes, factory presets are mediocre at best in Rapid. I've created loads of my own, but, it would be really nice if Parawave would invest a bit time and create a new factory bank with at least 200 bread and butter sounds, covering several of genres like trance, deep house, chill out, pop, drones, hardstyle/hardcore, etc. And their additional packs they sell are way too expensive.

HcDoom wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 11:43 pm Yes, factory presets are mediocre at best in Rapid. I've created loads of my own, but, it would be really nice if Parawave would invest a bit time and create a new factory bank with at least 200 bread and butter sounds, covering several of genres like trance, deep house, chill out, pop, drones, hardstyle/hardcore, etc. And their additional packs they sell are way too expensive.
Yeah, really surprising since Mirko Ruta is on the Rapid team and he is a great sound designer. Perhaps they should include patches from more sound designers to create more diversity.

Return to “Instruments”