Typical use of your synths aka what kind of music do you make with a synth?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

whassup wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 7:20 pm To say that a synth is genre specific is not true. There is always hype around stuff that is used tons in certain genres.
Nonsense. Not only are there genres that are specifically built around particular synths (ie, Acid and the 303), but there’s also clearly synths that specialize in particular types of sounds and are weaker in others. Not all synths are all ‘rounders. For example, a JV-1080 wouldn’t be a great choice for someone wanting to do dark, twisty DnB or Dubstep basses. And its worth saying that just because two synths are capable of similar genre related sounds doesn’t mean there isn’t a difference. Of the the subtleties of character makes a certain great in some roles that a similar synth doesn’t do quite as well. They don’t all have the same features or focus, and it’s not all in the way you program it either. Sometimes a certain synth is just better at certain sounds.

Your argument is like saying that any guitar can play any genre. While technically true, some guitars are built with certain genres in mind, and work better for those genres. That there’s instruments (both hardware and software) made for specific types of sounds shouldnt be a controversial idea. It’s fairly self evident

Actually, I think he's way closer to the mark than you are. Not every sound used for every part in every genre needs to have "that" sound. e.g. You don't make every part of an Acid piece using a 303. It's usually just one part in the arrangement. So 1 x distorted 303 and 10 x any synth you like will still get you an Acid track.
kPere wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:28 amI mean I'd be happy to see from you guys, who are more experienced in synthesis and have worked on some synths - what are your thoughts on the ones you own or used to own?
Is someone working on more pop souding music have any reasons to invest in Zebra and it's workflow? Or maybe there is some other synth that'd be more pleasure to work with in that direction.
The best answer I can give is that it comes down to what you enjoy doing. e.g. I like making songs, I do not like noodling around very complex synths, trying to find sounds to use. That aspect of production bores me to tears so I have never looked seriously at Zebra. But there are plenty of people around for whom the noodling around part is what they enjoy most, so they love something like Zebra because it keeps them amused for endless hours.

With most synths, I don't think genre matters. Similarly, with most genres, I don't think it matters which synths you use, unless you are someone who mostly works with presets, in which case some synths definitely come with lots of patches for some genres and not many for others.

So those would be the things I'd be worrying about - what part(s) of the process you enjoy most and whether you prefer to work with presets or make your own sounds.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

DJDJ wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 1:22 am For example, a JV-1080 wouldn’t be a great choice for someone wanting to do dark, twisty DnB or Dubstep basses.
There is a LOT of JV1080 all over drum and bass land (and more than likely dubstep too).. I know more than a few folks (myself included) that use a 1080/2080 or an XV of some sort along with the samplers that handle the drums and bass duties. A lot more to it than its namesake going on in every tune..

Some synths are better than others for 'X' style of music but that doesn't mean you can't make the stuff with synth 'Y'.
You should think about what genre you want to create. If it's DnB then Serum and Vital are great (plus a sampler of course).

The chances are you'll never have just one synth, tbh.

You can't go wrong with Zebra, incidentally. Or any U-he synth. But if you're into making EDM then HIVE might be a better choice. It depends on what you want to make to be honest.
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

I feel like this post is sound-shaming me and I feel very much triggered. Music is such a heavy word you know? Why do I have to make "music?"

DJDJ wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 1:22 am
whassup wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 7:20 pm To say that a synth is genre specific is not true. There is always hype around stuff that is used tons in certain genres.
Nonsense. Not only are there genres that are specifically built around particular synths (ie, Acid and the 303),
Thanx for saying what I said, with different words.
Was the 303 made for acid? I guess you know the answer.
DJDJ wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 1:22 am Your argument is like saying that any guitar can play any genre. While technically true, some guitars are built with certain genres in mind, and work better for those genres. That there’s instruments (both hardware and software) made for specific types of sounds shouldnt be a controversial idea. It’s fairly self evident
Fun fact: I am a guitarist. Longer than a synthesist. I know fairly well what you're saying and had similar thoughts about guitars when writing this.
I'm not in for having to be right or to be exclusive or to write new laws or any stuff like that.
My 7 string was specifically bought for heavy down tuned stuff. Not for my Jazzy moments. So relax and try to see the context in which I just f****d to write a disclaimer and made some bold statements. But yeah. After all this is KvR. Peace. :-)

Robmobius wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 2:28 am Some synths are better than others for 'X' style of music
Yeah, hence my question, I'd love to expand my knowledge on that.

The guitar market is a bit different from the synth market though -- they are often styled to look (and to a lesser extent, play and sound) right for a particular genre, where synths are usually more of a chameleon thing.

Sure, there are exceptions. Make Noise Strega was co-designed by Alessandro Cortini, who makes a specific kind of music, which also happens to be close to the kind of music that I make. But for synths, stuff like that is an exception, not the rule. Something like Zebra or Hive or Thorn or Arcsyn or Massive or, say, a Hydrasynth or Modwave or whatever, is more of a universal thing.

The 303 was designed and marketed as an accompaniment for solo guitarists without a band, and people hated it. Phuture happened to use it in a track in a way that caught people's ears, and accidentally spawned a genre and redeemed what would have been a terrible failure of a synth. It wasn't "the best bassline synth for acid" until acid was invented.

Skinny Puppy pretty much came to be because of another band Cevin Key was in that used a TR-808 to sequence a Sequential Pro One. But nobody's going to call the Pro One "the best synth for industrial," nor reject using it for some other genre because of that association.

You should pick the synths that sound right to you for what you want to do, without worrying too much about what genre it is associated with.

foosnark wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 8:05 pm The guitar market is a bit different from the synth market though -- they are often styled to look (and to a lesser extent, play and sound) right for a particular genre, where synths are usually more of a chameleon thing.

Sure, there are exceptions. Make Noise Strega was co-designed by Alessandro Cortini, who makes a specific kind of music, which also happens to be close to the kind of music that I make. But for synths, stuff like that is an exception, not the rule. Something like Zebra or Hive or Thorn or Arcsyn or Massive or, say, a Hydrasynth or Modwave or whatever, is more of a universal thing.

The 303 was designed and marketed as an accompaniment for solo guitarists without a band, and people hated it. Phuture happened to use it in a track in a way that caught people's ears, and accidentally spawned a genre and redeemed what would have been a terrible failure of a synth. It wasn't "the best bassline synth for acid" until acid was invented.

Skinny Puppy pretty much came to be because of another band Cevin Key was in that used a TR-808 to sequence a Sequential Pro One. But nobody's going to call the Pro One "the best synth for industrial," nor reject using it for some other genre because of that association.

You should pick the synths that sound right to you for what you want to do, without worrying too much about what genre it is associated with.
you mentioned it, so here will do.
dunno if you have seen this? :o i just watched now. seriously awesome!

https://youtu.be/UAg-s6pZuH8

SHall1000 wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 7:41 pm
foosnark wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 7:35 pm If you try to use a 303 in ambient you're going to have an interesting time.
Just slap a big reverb on it.
Yah, sound like an easy challenge to make 303 ambient....

It's a decent little one osc mono synth!

Zipede wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 6:11 pm And you don't need to wait for Black Friday, if you buy Zebra2 on Nov 15th, you'll get Dark Zebra for free and a discounted price on Zebra3 when it finally releases.
Except that if you wait for Nov 15th, you will get all of the current goods, but you will NOT have an upgrade path to Zebra 3.
Windows 10 and too many plugins

kPere wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:28 am
To be more exact, I heard that Zebra being a workhorse and capable of making pretty much anything you want, but is good for cinematic sounds, pads etc.
Is someone working on more pop souding music have any reasons to invest in Zebra and it's workflow? Or maybe there is some other synth that'd be more pleasure to work with in that direction.
Subjective matters aside, but I'm sure you guys could share some insight on some synths you've got.
What sort of music are you trying to make? Pop?

How good are your synths skills?

A mainstream synth like Serum, Spire, or a modern versatile synths like phase plant or Icarus, should cover most pop needs.
Last edited by _leras on Tue Nov 08, 2022 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vurt wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 8:32 pm seriously awesome!

:hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :party:

whassup wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 11:35 pm
vurt wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 8:32 pm seriously awesome!

:hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :party:
Strega really is an all in one techno sound box. Great at what it does!

Perhaps a bit limited to its niche?

I love what I heard in that video. Like feedback from a guitar but a synth. Awesome!

Return to “Instruments”