Ready to Jump from Apple to windows after 16 years!!!

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I switched from windows to mac last year after about 20 years
Macbook M1 Max 32GB Ram Cubase 12

MissOptimyst wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 2:36 amIt doesn’t “just work” anymore and I keep holding out that again it might.
I assume it will not, and plan accordingly, e.g. I have a mini running Mojave, will not upgrade it and when I get another mini, this one will be a slave through ethernet or thunderbolt.

I have spent many, many hours complaining to Apple middle management about how they limit customer choice in order to focus all their resources on delivering to their next corporate goals, and then 'sell' those goals to their customers. Jobs famously said, "People don't know what they want until we show them" but Tim Cook takes it one step further by not giving customers much choice.
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

Michael L wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 2:51 am
MissOptimyst wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 2:36 amIt doesn’t “just work” anymore and I keep holding out that again it might.
I assume it will not, and plan accordingly, e.g. I have a mini running Mojave, will not upgrade it and when I get another mini, this one will be a slave through ethernet or thunderbolt.

I have spent many, many hours complaining to Apple middle management about how they limit customer choice in order to focus all their resources on delivering to their next corporate goals, and then 'sell' those goals to their customers. Jobs once said, "People don't know what they want until we show them" but Tim Cook takes it one step further by not giving anyone a choice in the matter.
I feel you 100% and agree. I have a MacBook Pro I’m keeping as is on Catalina for now. I would have to pay for so many upgrades in software if I update it doesn’t seem worth it for me. Especially since I am mid projects right now and I need everything working properly. Lesson learned for when I inevitably get a M1 or M2 though.

Worst Mac ever bought was an overpriced and underpowered G4 so I don’t think things were perfect under Jobs either.

But there are a number of things Apple are rich enough to do better and set a bit of an example in, and under Cook it’ll never happen. Total supply chain beancounter.
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

MissOptimyst wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 2:36 am
Michael L wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 12:21 am
revvy wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:49 pmBut man, do I hate the company. Which makes me quite the hypocrite.
I am the same way.
If Steve Jobs was still alive, Apple would be different.
We're not hypocrites, just making the best of the situation.
Apple customer service managers are at least as pissed off as we are.
I just hate how we have been treated as late. Yearly updates they try to force us into that turn many apps and plugins obsolete. Eventually even render hardware obsolete too. I love the products and experience of Apple products too, but I’m bitter because I miss how things were and would like to see Apple moving in a better and more user friendly direction. I also would love to see a return to them focusing more on creative apps again. It doesn’t “just work” anymore and I keep holding out that again it might.
I do not fully agree. I do agree the quality of the newer software updates are getting worse, in terms of stability and some decision is questionable.

But in terms of hardware, I am very happy Apple pushed ARM through, they are the only company with enough muscle that can pull this off. I fully understand Apple made this move for their bottom line, not for the users but we as users do benefit from it.

Since the retina Macbook Pro was released in 2012. The 2021 Macbook Pro is the first Macbook Pro that really deserves the Pro moniker.
Let's face it, prior to Apple Silicon, there was basically no way you can use the laptop as it was intended to, even a 16" one can drain from 100% to 0% under 2 hours under a medium workload.
Fan spinning like crazy even if you were just installing an app update from the app store and the "Lap"top is so warm that basically impossible to use on your lap. no SD card slot, no HDMI, no Mag safe, you has to bring a lot of dongles with you all the time.

We now have a super powerful and power-efficient computer advancement for end users. Yeah, it makes some software/plugins obsolete, if we really need those. We can always keep the old computer that works for those things, if they are replaceable then it's a good time to do so.

I don't agree with all Apple's decisions, such as keep using the lightning port and calling EU ruling Apple has changed to Type-C obstacle to technology innovation is such as BS, Apple just doesn't want to give up a couple hundred million MFI licensing fee per year from vendors selling the lightning accessories.

But giving up backward compatibility by ditching x86 and move forward of ARM, I am very happy Apple made this decision.

Don't pay too much attention to the current 'M' powered specs.

I recently replaced a mid/low spec Lenovo quad core i5 with 8GB RAM with the base spec M1 Macbook Air, this was my utility computer that I sometimes did some work on.

In terms of spec and price, the two were fairly similar, but the Macbook absolutely destroyed the previous machine in terms of raw power and usability. It wasn't 'a bit' faster, it was multiples faster.

Apple silicon appears to have reduced the cost of accessing more power with Apple machines. I use both so I don't care either way, but I don't see a good reason to switch from OSX to Windows right now if you're used to using Apple products.

darkinners wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:45 am
MissOptimyst wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 2:36 am
Michael L wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 12:21 am
revvy wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:49 pmBut man, do I hate the company. Which makes me quite the hypocrite.
I am the same way.
If Steve Jobs was still alive, Apple would be different.
We're not hypocrites, just making the best of the situation.
Apple customer service managers are at least as pissed off as we are.
I just hate how we have been treated as late. Yearly updates they try to force us into that turn many apps and plugins obsolete. Eventually even render hardware obsolete too. I love the products and experience of Apple products too, but I’m bitter because I miss how things were and would like to see Apple moving in a better and more user friendly direction. I also would love to see a return to them focusing more on creative apps again. It doesn’t “just work” anymore and I keep holding out that again it might.
I do not fully agree. I do agree the quality of the newer software updates are getting worse, in terms of stability and some decision is questionable.

But in terms of hardware, I am very happy Apple pushed ARM through, they are the only company with enough muscle that can pull this off. I fully understand Apple made this move for their bottom line, not for the users but we as users do benefit from it.

Since the retina Macbook Pro was released in 2012. The 2021 Macbook Pro is the first Macbook Pro that really deserves the Pro moniker.
Let's face it, prior to Apple Silicon, there was basically no way you can use the laptop as it was intended to, even a 16" one can drain from 100% to 0% under 2 hours under a medium workload.
Fan spinning like crazy even if you were just installing an app update from the app store and the "Lap"top is so warm that basically impossible to use on your lap. no SD card slot, no HDMI, no Mag safe, you has to bring a lot of dongles with you all the time.

We now have a super powerful and power-efficient computer advancement for end users. Yeah, it makes some software/plugins obsolete, if we really need those. We can always keep the old computer that works for those things, if they are replaceable then it's a good time to do so.

I don't agree with all Apple's decisions, such as keep using the lightning port and calling EU ruling Apple has changed to Type-C obstacle to technology innovation is such as BS, Apple just doesn't want to give up a couple hundred million MFI licensing fee per year from vendors selling the lightning accessories.

But giving up backward compatibility by ditching x86 and move forward of ARM, I am very happy Apple made this decision.
See, I do not have ARM yet so I’m coming completely from an Intel perspective. I have a 2019 that isn’t that old but is starting to perform less reliably at times and that’s frustrating to me and where my rant stems from. Also my hardware complaints were strictly for older models since I don’t have experience yet with the newer ones. The one thing I am actually excited about with Apple is M1/M2. It does make me excited when I hear how fast it is and how more productive it makes workflow.

M1 (guess M2 is the same) is one of the current positives of Apple IMO.

My new MBP is a great machine.
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

JockMcRonan wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 8:06 am outta here
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmbye
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

The only thing that worries me about Apple’s M1 & M2 machines is that it is no longer possible to boot these machines from external backup clone drives…if the internal SSD has suffered a catastrophic failure. Here is some reading on the subject.

https://tidbits.com/2021/05/27/an-m1-ma ... ve-is-dead
On a number of Macs

Weasel-Boy wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:34 pmThe only thing that worries me
But the article explains why you should not be worried, and describes recovery options. :party:
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

Michael L wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:05 pm
Weasel-Boy wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:34 pmThe only thing that worries me
But the article explains why you should not be worried, and describes recovery options. :party:
Unfortunately the bottom line recovery involves either:
1. Replace the motherboard. Expensive.
2. Replace the entire computer. Even more expensive.

The “not to worry” part is the hope that the internal SSD won’t fail for a very long time. Personally, I’m not really all that worried beyond the idea that it’s not a matter of if, but when. There is an EOL on SSDs after all.

However, I’d feel worry-free if Apple continued to make it possible to keep working with an external bootable if the internal gave up. This subject is something not widely known and I thought it worth mentioning here. More of a heads up than fear mongering.
On a number of Macs

s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

For all the hate that Bill Gates and Microsoft get, I love the fact that I can still run 20+ year old VST plugins on my current Windows setup.
A well-behaved signature.

JerGoertz wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 5:09 am For all the hate that Bill Gates and Microsoft get, I love the fact that I can still run 20+ year old VST plugins on my current Windows setup.
That's why I am still on macos 10.14
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”