Which synthesizer is most suitable for ambient music?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

We haven't named every synth on the market yet, so this thread is not even close to finished.

How about Absynth? :wink:
Windows 10 and too many plugins

zzz00m wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:47 pm How about Absynth? :wink:
It was discontinued. It can't be used anymore. It should be erased from history, permanently.

Last edited by maschinelf on Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

kritikon wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:46 pm We haven't named every synth on the market yet, so this thread is not even close to finished.
Exactly. Personally, I like ToonTrack's Superior Drummer with the Metal Foundry SDX. Though, for ambient, you need a sequencer that plays at 10,000 BPM to really make it work. Mine is DIY, mechanical, and powered by a Kawasaki vintage 1000cc motorcycle engine. I've tried simulating it in Reaktor, but it's just not the same. There's a certain variation that you get from a mechanical sequencer that's just hard to get right in digital.

Like I said, how you want to work is probably the most important thing.

Ambient for Beginners (everything you need to know!)

"You don't need expensive gear to make good music." "You could literally get started with a free synth and a microphone." "The best synth is the one you have in front of you."

https://youtu.be/UsbcgiCP0nE
Windows 10 and too many plugins

zzz00m wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:02 pm Ambient for Beginners (everything you need to know!)

"You don't need expensive gear to make good music." "You could literally get started with a free synth and a microphone." "The best synth is the one you have in front of you."

https://youtu.be/UsbcgiCP0nE

You really only need a microphone. You can rub it and smack it on yourself in countless ways to create the most elaborate and interesting soundscapes. Get something durable like an SM58 though. An SM57 might work better if you're new to all of this.

zzz00m wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:02 pm Ambient for Beginners (everything you need to know!)

I'll stick with the nice synths I have... that's more fun.

chk071 wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:00 pm

I'll stick with the nice synths I have... that's more fun.
It's so easy to create ambient with a nice synth though. Real artists like a good challenge. Have you tried making ambient with a rock?

Just record yourself when you take a shower, lower the pitch with 3 octaves, stretch, reverb, delay, reverb, did i say reverb?
aliasing plugin owner
:?

Why does everybody assume that ambient music is just (sound)+(reverb)? :?

tehlord wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:07 am Why does everybody assume that ambient music is just (sound)+(reverb)? :?
Because Ignorance is a Bliss. :shrug:
The art of knowing is knowing what to ignore.

tehlord wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:07 am Why does everybody assume that ambient music is just (sound)+(reverb)? :?
Can you tell me your opinion? thank you! One of the theories I know comes from brian eno. However, many years have passed, and I don't know whether there is any difference between ambient today.

There is different kind of ambient, there is melodic stuff
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otIL1nD7RTY

there is also drone dark stuff that is more of a texture
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72GJGYPsn1c

both types are different, the textural drone stuff needs more processing and the instruments used are different (usually granular synths and FX)

pick your poison
aliasing plugin owner
:?

Korg Wavestate native is also great for ambient.

Return to “Instruments”