Grab TAL U-NO-LX on sale if I already have TAL J-8?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi all. Last night, I bought my first TAL synth - the superb J-8 to fill the Roland hole in my collection of synths. I went with it because it was...well...the Jupiter 8, Roland's flagship analog synth with 2 oscillators, etc compared to the Juno's 1 OSC. I have done tons of research on the two synths and understand the Juno has its own mojo, despite the one oscillator. I am getting conservative with my money, having bought Legend, Oddity3, and Repro over the past two months. I have tons of other synths as well (both Synthmasters, Predator 3, OB-XD, PG-8X (pretty solid Roland sound right there), Dexed, and virtually every other free synth).

Today is the last day of TAL's Black Friday sale and I am tempted to grab U-NO-LX due to its quality and high regard among the community. Plus, TAL's sales seem to be rare. I have demoed U-NO-LX quite a bit and dig it, but feel like I should master the synths I have and if I am going to spend $38, why not spend it on some quality presets for the J-8? What are your thoughts? I literally bought the J-8 last night and GAS is still making its pressure felt! I am going to grab Synapse's fantastic Obsession eventually, so you can understand my hesitancy. Has the J-8 met my Roland needs single handedly or should I add that Juno mojo to my arsenal? Is U-NO-LX largely redundant? THAT is my main question. It seems to be and I don't want to be unnecessarily synth-greedy :hyper:

I feel like you only can answer those questions yourself...

I bought the Model 84 from Softube the other day (which is an emulation of the Juno-106), and, frankly, it was an impulse buy, because it was cheap as chips. I just don't dig the architecture (which is the same as on the Juno-60). The sound is alright, but, only one oscillator, only one envelope is just too little for me. I booted up Monark after I fiddled with it for an hour or two, and, it was a relief really... The Minimoog MUCH more appeals to me, architecture wise. Even though it's monophonic.

So, if you already demo'd TAL-U-NO-LX, I would still recommend to go on demo'ing it until you're really sure that you want and have a need for it. A separate envelope for amplitude and filter, and two oscillators is the bare minimum I need to "live" really.

If you just want the Roland sound in the box, you might be good with the Jupiter-8 and the PG-8X. Although the Juno's are also vastly identified with the "Roland sound", but, frankly, without using the chorus, they're also not very fat sounding. I guess that's the point, using them with the chorus. But then, I can do that with a lot of synths which don't have the limitations the Juno's have-
Last edited by chk071 on Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

If money is tight as much as I like Patrick, i would say the j8 is the best roland analog software emulation you can buy.
I personally was disappointed with Obsession though I am an oberheim man. If you do want the oberheim taste keep GForce ob-e/sem in mind.
But yeah to me you can skip the u no lx for now.
I think the jupiter 8 was the pinnacle and the juno's were those who wanted that sound without the budget.
rap
sound sculptist

zvenx wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:42 pm
I personally was disappointed with Obsession though I am an oberheim man.
Me too. Really disappointed. Which I guess is a mixture of being underwhelmed by the OB-Xa in general, and the emulation.

I'd recommend getting the bx_oberhausen or the Gforce SEM of the OB-E if you're into that sound.

I actually loved the hardware OB series.. it was my favourite synthesizers back in the day.

rsp
sound sculptist

I prefer the uno-lx over the j8. I just love the Juno sound and simplicity. I think it’s worth having.

I think there’s more redundancy between the 2 osc synths like the Jupiter, prophets and oberheims. Junos have a unique multiwave single osc that just sounds great.

Thanks for all the replies. I appreciate it. When I saw the U-NO-LX was still on sale beyond the original sale end date this morning, that was the final GAS nudge I needed and bought it. The thing is a legendary soft synth and the limited nature of its features can be a plus from a certain perspective, especially regarding simplicity in dialing in sounds. And unlike the J-8, it has built-in reverb. (I added Valhalla Room to the J-8 in my host and, wow, that kicks up the J-8 to the next level, as to be expected). With its one oscillator and one envelope, the U-No a great "beginner's synth" to program while having charm and depth for longevity. In the end, why have just a Jupiter 8 when you can also have a Juno 60?? <End of GAS rationalization>

:)... I actually like that the J-8 (deliberately) doesn't have a reverb.
Some Sound Designers tend to go overboard with onboard effects.

But glad you like the U-No-LX too.
rsp
sound sculptist

Don’t buy the Juno. Get TAL-Mod! ;)

Alas he already bought it.
You know I keep reading on this forum how great Tal-Mod is and though I bought it when it came out, and almost everytime I read a praise I go back and try it..
I just don't get it..

rsp
sound sculptist

zvenx wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:27 am Alas he already bought it.
You know I keep reading on this forum how great Tal-Mod is and though I bought it when it came out, and almost everytime I read a praise I go back and try it..
I just don't get it..

rsp
I only just purchased it but sound-wise, it reminds a lot of J-8, but you've got 3 OSC's, 2 filters, a semi-modular format, more FX. I do wish it had some quantizers though for the modulation. It's a cool sounding synth.

I know you know if you send him that wish list you may get it before weekend if he isn't too busy working on something else :).

rsp
sound sculptist

Return to “Instruments”