One Synth Challenge #166: Wave Manuel (mmGhost Wins!!!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

wagtunes wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 9:03 pm
] Peter:H [ wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 6:25 pm ++++ Submission ++++
https://soundcloud.com/p-e-t-e-r-h/holy ... ot=whatnot

Who said, that you cannot do drums/percussions with it?
[...]
Peter, this is so cool. Good luck!
Hey Steven, long time no see.
Thanks for your kind words. Any chance we see you participate in this or upcoming OSCs again?
Or to busy with your tremendous amount of output on your wagtunes corner?

] Peter:H [ wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 1:23 pm
wagtunes wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 9:03 pm
] Peter:H [ wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 6:25 pm ++++ Submission ++++
https://soundcloud.com/p-e-t-e-r-h/holy ... ot=whatnot

Who said, that you cannot do drums/percussions with it?
[...]
Peter, this is so cool. Good luck!
Hey Steven, long time no see.
Thanks for your kind words. Any chance we see you participate in this or upcoming OSCs again?
Or to busy with your tremendous amount of output on your wagtunes corner?
Peter, I have mixed feelings about participating. That I'm not very good at these is actually the least of my concerns. Getting my writing gig has alleviated a lot of my feelings of low self worth after over 40 years of beating my head against a wall over this business. The bigger issue is actually the synths themselves. Most simply don't work on my system or prove to be too difficult for me to wrap my head around. Quite honestly, I don't need the stress. Now this month (BBC Orchestra) would have been a great month to enter as I already own it and am comfortable using it. But I learned about it too late. I did enjoy voting however. Some great tracks.

Anyway, I'm not closing the door on the OSC completely. Like I said, this month would have been perfect. So I'll keep checking in to see if there's anything that captures my imagination.

Good talking to you again. Hope you have a great holiday season and an even better 2023.

IV! wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:41 pm
kylebenjamin wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:29 am On a different topic, did I miss the part where we learned how to save presets (assuming that's possible)?
You can save and load presets using the plugins browser functions. I think every DAW should have it? This is usually located right above the plugin interface.
Of course. I completely forgot about that. Thank you for being the voice of wisdom.

I just had another question regarding rules - are gate plugins allowed? Or do we need to automate the volume manually? E.g. something like kHs Trance Gate.

abot81 wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 12:10 pm I just had another question regarding rules - are gate plugins allowed? Or do we need to automate the volume manually? E.g. something like kHs Trance Gate.
As far as I know, this is allowed, as it simplifies process that you could only do with a synthesizer and (subsonic) automation.

abot81 wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 12:10 pm I just had another question regarding rules - are gate plugins allowed? Or do we need to automate the volume manually? E.g. something like kHs Trance Gate.
Just for the sake of understanding what a gate/compressor can do: You can go for "aggressive" settings - in terms of time settings. What this means is, that you actually do Amplitude Modulation in Audio Range ... just do the maths, when you set attack/release time to something like 5 ms then how many "manipulations of your amplitude per second" it will do?
I think I've read about this "add crunch to the sound with a compressor" trick somewhere ... you decide, whether your settings seem acceptable to you.

For those who like to use Midi Plugins Here's a nice trick with ChordPotion and Reverb https://youtu.be/av4Tpc0AL7U

https://soundcloud.com/pomerus/puma17-f ... -in-sahara

Here is my submission for this month challenge. Was a very very intense experience. First time I'm doing sound design. Until 2 weeks ago I was always relying on the banks and patches and libraries and samples I always got with every synth and module. It never occurred to me that I can design my own sounds from scratch. WOW. Amazing experience !!! (and a very steep learning curve, and hours upon hours, and many youtube videos, etc...)

At the end I even got some sounds I didn't use, and I created my first ever library of sounds. Drums where extra difficult, so special thank-you goes to the helpful posts in this thread that gave me a kick-start (pun not intended)

As this is my 2nd submission overall, I consider this a brave baby step forward.
Comments, insights, opinions are all welcome. It's my learning journey

- Cakewalk DAW
- around 20 instances of Wave Manuel
- Melinda (free) EQ, reverb, Compressor
- Valhala supermassive
- Transpire

] Peter:H [ wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 2:48 pm For those who like to use Midi Plugins Here's a nice trick with ChordPotion and Reverb https://youtu.be/av4Tpc0AL7U
Thanks for sharing! Adding long reverb tails to short notes for atmosphere isn't news to me, but I'd never thought to play so many so quickly in this manner.

Speaking of which, what are the rules for reverbs? I know reverb itself is fine but some reverbs add harmonic effects. I've been toying with JSFX Atlantis Reverb but I notice if has a "Fifths" knob, which makes me worry certain permutations might not be legal.

I like your track. The instruments sound amazingly like something I heard in a game with a background music of 'egyptean' flavour, loooong time ago. Very impressive for first patches you ever designed.

toadhjo wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 4:35 am Speaking of which, what are the rules for reverbs? I know reverb itself is fine but some reverbs add harmonic effects. I've been toying with JSFX Atlantis Reverb but I notice if has a "Fifths" knob, which makes me worry certain permutations might not be legal.
Everything is right. Use reverberation only as a way to add space, from a small room to an almost endless hall, but no modulations that could not happen in space, like harmonization or LFO filter) This should be within the framework of the rule "do not change the sound beyond recognition", as with any effects. :tu:

If you want to fake a shimmer verb (at least on pads), just duplicate the synth instance, pitch up the dup, full wet on the built in verb and increase the attack to taste so it fades in. You can even add the vibrato so it modulates.
Just a touch of EQ and a tickle of compression

the bird is back (again)
this time, returning to some of what I loved about my early OSC music. expect pipe organs, odd meters, and key changes.

https://soundcloud.com/anotherbenjamin/scenario

Made in Reaper 6 with love and
14 instances of Wave Manuel
8x ReaEQ
3x ReaComp
3x GClip
2x midiTranspose
2x ReEQ
2x ReaLimit
Saike MIDI Arp
Cocoa Delay
Valhalla Supermassive
Zeek STFU
and SPAN and Reaper's loudness meter for analysis
mostly here for the One Synth Challenge
you can hear some of my newest music at: https://wrenharmonic.bandcamp.com/ or https://www.youtube.com/@wrenharmonic

Great track! remind me yours of the hardware synth round, actually.

IV! wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 11:33 am
toadhjo wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 4:35 am Speaking of which, what are the rules for reverbs? I know reverb itself is fine but some reverbs add harmonic effects. I've been toying with JSFX Atlantis Reverb but I notice if has a "Fifths" knob, which makes me worry certain permutations might not be legal.
Everything is right. Use reverberation only as a way to add space, from a small room to an almost endless hall, but no modulations that could not happen in space, like harmonization or LFO filter) This should be within the framework of the rule "do not change the sound beyond recognition", as with any effects. :tu:
The technique Peter showed is nice, but I would oppose to endless hall kind of reverb as being allowed. Usually you could get similar kind of smearing with long release times and some doubling. This would be more in the spirit. And has the advantage, that you can play/automate the release times to make it easier to fit in the mix… If you add some more natural reverb its helps and is within the rules.
If you place One Ping Only into a huge 20 sec reverb, the sound is determined by the reverb and not by the synth. Only so much reverb, that the sound is still determined by the synth…
Long release times in a synth eat more CPU and voices though…

Return to “Instruments”