Tone2 or Parawave Rapid? Both with expansions

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Tone2 synths with a bunch of expansion or the same for Rapid. Which one do you prefer/have and why?

Rapid. Better sound. Great presets and preset packs. Looks good, too. Great and fast workflow, feels good to work with.

Overall the sound of Rapid gives me what I didn't find in most synths including the Tone2 ones: A certain depth and solidity. It just grabs me. Not easy to describe. But it is that "Yeah!" thing that I have working with it. The presets are VERY usable in a musical context.

I so don't like the Tone2 GUIs. It is rather an aversion against that look. I heard some good presets in them.
When demoing several Tone2 synths over the years (even shortly at this last BF again) I was rather: hm, yeah, ok, nice, hm but... Not crazy about what I heard when using them myself.

I recommend that you compare them side by side. That's what I did. Was an eye and ear opener. Bought Rapid. :tu:

Which Tone2 synths though?

I think Icarus and Electra sound really good.. and he got rid of the psychoacoustic thing years ago... and at least we know he is updating constantly.
rsp
sound sculptist

Icarus2. Better sound, looks good.
Weapons of choice (subject to change):
Godin Redline, Kuassa, Fuse Audio, Audiority, Roland A-500pro, Dune, Dagger, TAL, Reaper for Rock & Synthwave pleasures; Viper and FL Studio for guilty EDM pleasures

Interesting…

What are the best tone2 synths and ones to avoid or redundant to the other ones?

Icarus and Electra are the best Tone2 synths
aliasing plugin owner
:?

Icarus2 is very powerful if you are an advanced sound maker, Rapid is (in my opinion) a better GUI and UX, better FX and (this is a biggy) plays back full Multi-Samples so you can get realist instruments. It also has granular which is cool, its a good implementation and of course its main feature the 'layers' which make big, animated sounds quite easy.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live+PUSH 3 Standalone, Reason, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

parawave rapid is the best synth imho, and im so tired of the demo version but cant afford it :(
it has everything that any VA synth should have. It even has analog/waveform drift which is hard to do (somewhat hard) on other synths. you can use a wavetable were the waveform constantly goes from one step to the left or right and keep doing that over and over using an lfo, but it has that as a built in feature and honestly it does alot for the sound.
but im sure there are some synths that has that also. or?

astralprojection wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:28 pm parawave rapid is the best synth imho, and im so tired of the demo version but cant afford it :(
The 50% BF sale is still on. I just bought it and am eating ramen for the next three months. :lol: Otherwise, start putting your change away until next BF... I chose it for its sound, ease-of-use and pure depth.

Of the Tone2 synths, Warlock is actually my fave. It's small and sporty and the random patch feature is hands-down the best I've used. It reminds me of Crystal, but simpler. The only downside to it is the old-school patch selector, no patch browser. I find the others, like Icarus and Elektra to be too big and overwhelming. Great sound, though, but they just don't invite me in to play around with the knobs like Rapid does.
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

syntonica wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:49 pm
astralprojection wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:28 pm parawave rapid is the best synth imho, and im so tired of the demo version but cant afford it :(
The 50% BF sale is still on. I just bought it and am eating ramen for the next three months. :lol: Otherwise, start putting your change away until next BF... I chose it for its sound, ease-of-use and pure depth.

i know man, its so good, im still debating or not wether to pull the trigger but i know ill probably be sorry losing that 93 euro to a side hobby :ud:

I haven't bought any tone2 synths yet, but have been considering getting Nemesis for a while as whatever the 'neo-fm' is doing sounds quite unique to me, and aggressive in a manner I like. Maybe it's not unique and I just don't know how to recreate the same effect in other synths?
The tone2 guis are too cluttered imo, more due the graphic design decisions of the knobs than the layout, and whilst their other synths look like they have a lot of interesting features, the preset demos I've listened to sound strangely poor for reasons I don't understand. I'm sure a skilled user could get a lot out of them though; I'm hoping to hear some good demos.

I just got Rapid and I'm thoroughly enjoying it, though it's fair to say there are rough edges that could well do with being smooth out. Love the hard, crisp sound of many of the effects, and the quick, versatile workflow. The somewhat odd routing options allow for unexpectedly create results also.
Every day takes figuring out all over again how to f#ckin’ live.

If I could transfer you my Rapid license I would for free.. Bitwig The Grid can sound really similar to Rapid but can go way way deeper - Rapid is a bit of a jack of all trades master of none for me.. doesn't do anything really well.

pizzatime wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:27 pm If I could transfer you my Rapid license I would for free.. Bitwig The Grid can sound really similar to Rapid but can go way way deeper - Rapid is a bit of a jack of all trades master of none for me.. doesn't do anything really well.
aww man what a tease!! :x

I had rapid too, when I got a new laptop I requested to help me put rapid on my new maschine but I didn't get a reply and they don't allow license transfer , I don't miss it but tone2 icarus is miles ahead and they have great support and free updates

Lectropunk aka influx808 wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:31 pm I had rapid too, when I got a new laptop I requested to help me put rapid on my new maschine but I didn't get a reply and they don't allow license transfer , I don't miss it but tone2 icarus is miles ahead and they have great support and free updates
does icarus have an analog drift function?

Return to “Instruments”