Korg Modwave Native (VST3)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

EvilDragon wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:35 pm
zerocrossing wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:08 pmit also seems odd that the parameter seems to go from-142 to 142. What's 100% in that range? (RTFM later... :lol:) OK, I never would have guessed 60 from that UI
It's offset in semitones I suppose.
Exactly. The manual describes it this way:

Cutoff
[-4.00 or +8.00...+136.00 or +138.00 semitones]
This controls the cutoff frequency of the filter, in semitones mapped to MIDI note numbers (60.00 = middle C). The frequency in Hz is also shown. The specific effect of the cutoff frequency will change depending on the selected Type, as described above. Most filter types have a range of -4.00 to +138.00, but the MS-20 LP/HP and Polysix range from +8.00 to +136.00.

and:

Key Track
[-142.00...+142.00]
This controls how much the Key Track will affect the Cutoff frequency. The value is the amount, in semitones, that the filter will change over five octaves of keyboard with a standard -1.00/+1.00 slope. The overall effect of the Keyboard Track is a combination of this value and the Keyboard Track shape.
With positive values (+), the effect will be in the direction specified by keyboard tracking; if the Slope goes up, the Cutoff will increase.
With negative values (–), the effect will be in the opposite direction; if the Slope goes up, the Cutoff will decrease.
To create one-octave-per-octave key tracking (useful when creating pitch through filter resonance):
1. Set the Key Track amount to +60.00 semitones.
2. In Filter Key Track, set Low and Low-Mid Slopes to -1.00, and Mid-High and High Slopes to +1.00.
Dan Phillips
Manager of Product Development, Korg R&D

This is also in the online help for Filter Key Track:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dan Phillips

zerocrossing wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:47 am It's even odder because the init default is 20. :shrug:
20 = 1/3 key tracking, which is usually a good starting point.
Dan Phillips

danatkorg wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 2:02 am
zerocrossing wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:47 am It's even odder because the init default is 20. :shrug:
20 = 1/3 key tracking, which is usually a good starting point.
Not for me. I’m a fan of 0.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

For some reason Modwave is always crashing for me now whenever I launch it, even in standalone mode. Anyone else been experiencing this issue on Windows 10?

zerocrossing wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 3:35 am It's even odder because the init default is 20. :shrug:
danatkorg wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 2:02 am 20 = 1/3 key tracking, which is usually a good starting point.
zerocrossing wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 3:35 am Not for me. I’m a fan of 0.
Why should 1/3rd correspond to a value of zero? That doesn't make any sense at all.

Big Mouth Strikes Again wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 5:09 am
zerocrossing wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 3:35 am It's even odder because the init default is 20. :shrug:
danatkorg wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 2:02 am 20 = 1/3 key tracking, which is usually a good starting point.
zerocrossing wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 3:35 am Not for me. I’m a fan of 0.
Why should 1/3rd correspond to a value of zero? That doesn't make any sense at all.
why do you think that’s what they meant?

no key tracking is a common default.

gaggle of hermits wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 6:03 am no key tracking is a common default.
Actually, 100% key tracking is just as common and is arguably a more musically useful setting.

Boy Wonder wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:21 am It stuns me (stuns me, I tell you) that the DW-8000 is revered today. I bought one when they first came out because I wanted to get on the MIDI bandwagon as I saw its possibilities back then.
I have the rack version of the DW-8000, the EX-8000. It's a very simple synth. The modwave occupies a completely different sonic universe.

However, the EX-8000 has a certain charm. The analog filter sounds fantastic. And the lo-fi waveforms sound great when run through the filter

One cool and unusual feature is the addition of Break Point and Slope segments to the envelopes. This makes the envelopes far more flexible and musical sounding than standard ADSRs.

Finally, the lo-fi digital delay is really characterful and adds a nice sense of space to patches.

Big Mouth Strikes Again wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 7:18 am
gaggle of hermits wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 6:03 am no key tracking is a common default.
Actually, 100% key tracking is just as common and is arguably a more musically useful setting.
so we have two common defaults that are not 1/3. well done, go award yourself a cookie. i knew we'd get there in the end.

gaggle of hermits wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 8:04 am
so we have two common defaults that are not 1/3. well done, go award yourself a cookie. i knew we'd get there in the end.
We could all live happily ever after if the trolls were all put on ignore.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Now you're just being snide because you have nothing left to say. 1/3rd (or maybe 2/3rds) is probably the most musically useful filter key track setting. Because some people apparently can't understand this, they want to force the rest of us to change the key track value from 0 to 20 in every patch we program. All because an OCD doofus wants the default value set to the number with which he identifies the most: ZERO.

Who's the annoying troll?

zerocrossing wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 5:33 pm
We could all live happily ever after if the trolls were all put on ignore.
i was curious to see how trolly Count Trollington is. and the answer is: very.

gaggle of hermits wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 6:30 pm i was curious to see how trolly Count Trollington is. and the answer is: very.
I would much rather be "Count Trollington" than Count Assholington. :hihi:

The keytrack can be set to whatever one wants (within reason) with an user INIT patch.

Return to “Instruments”