Korg Op6 vs Arturia DX7 V (vst comparison only), thoughts?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

ghostwhistler wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 3:31 pm
gentleclockdivider wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 1:20 pm 1. " Is one better ?"
-According to some people , one will be better then the other .
2." If so why ? "
-Subjective reasons
I asked a serious question, this is just stupid. Blocked
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

Nothing says productive conversation like a good threadcrap. Off you go

The Opsix plug-in brings my old Lenovo P-50 to its knees.
------------------------------------------
Gribs

Yeah, it's not what you'd call a "light" plugin. Mind you, many things will bring an old Lenovo P50 to its knees. :hihi:

So I downloaded the korg opsix demo and damn , they messed up the feedback routing .
The feedback in the opsix is taken before the operator enters it's amp envelope section .
It's clearly audible on a single operator with feedback straight to the output and a decaying envelope , it remains a saw .
Yamaha style feedback will gradually turn the saw into a sine wave because the feedback is taken after the operator's env stage , resultng in less harmonic content fed back to the operator becasue of the decaying envelope
So if anyone wonders why the opsix has a hard time replicating yamaha ( feedback enabled ) patches , this is the exact reason why .
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Edit , the above still stands true when using individual operator feedback .

Just found out , there is also a feedback that works for the operator defined by the algoritm itself , and in that case the feedback is ( luckily )taken after the operator envelope stage .
That being said , I don't see any benefit of the per operator feedback like korg has implemented , otherwise we could recreate tg77 patches .
Plogue ops 7 in extended mode also has feedback per operator and adhering Ymaha style , it's taken after the operator's env stage .
PLogue :tu:
And it's getting better , the feedback in the user matrix is also post envelope :tu:
Happy camper here :D
Eyeball exchanging

And found a graphical bug for algo 20
Eyeball exchanging

Plogue OPS7 is, to me, the best sounding FM plugin (a "bit perfect" reconstruction), but it has a sub-optimal UX. If you want the sound of a DX7 above all else (like the UX), there is no alternative.

I doubt most bought Opsix wanting an accurate DX. I'm pleased it can do most of the DX type sounds (and it definitely can). TBH if it was a DX emu, I wouldn't have bought it. Comparing it directly to the obsessional detail of how a DX synthesizes is irrelevant...Opsix is definitely not marketed as any kind of DX emu. Whatever kind of feedback it uses, all I know is that I can get infinitely more aggressive and metallic sounds from it than I ever can with my DX. Actually, the DX is quite tame compared...

kritikon wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:49 pm I doubt most bought Opsix wanting an accurate DX. I'm pleased it can do most of the DX type sounds (and it definitely can). TBH if it was a DX emu, I wouldn't have bought it. Comparing it directly to the obsessional detail of how a DX synthesizes is irrelevant...Opsix is definitely not marketed as any kind of DX emu. Whatever kind of feedback it uses, all I know is that I can get infinitely more aggressive and metallic sounds from it than I ever can with my DX. Actually, the DX is quite tame compared...
Don't get me wong , my post was not about obssesive dx behaviour but rather how feedback is implemented .
I am an FM nut , and the first thing I do is to check out the feedback routing .
Luckily korg has done it both ways , pre operator gain envelope and post operator envelope and the latter is crucial to get yamaha style behaviour .
It's a nice synth but I will just stick to ops7-tranzistow and my beloved TG77
Eyeball exchanging

I’m an FM nut as well and I think Opsix is incredible. I’m absolutely obsessed with the wave shaper effect operator. I love the fact I have this synth in hardware and software. Purely soft synth FM are F’em, and all of the Plogue synths. In hardware the MegaFM is also fantastic.

For the opsix it would be great to be able to middle mouse scroll through the different effect types for example. clicking every one is tedious.

The hw does that. Prolly not reason enough to buy both though :hihi: . Though I did. :?

I love the Opsix. Yeah, it could be better but it does things no other FM can do and I love the fact that it’s hardware and software. But Korg as usual drops the ball and gives up the lead by refusing to sync the hardware to the software a la Arturia and now Roland.

vitocorleone123 wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 9:14 pm If you want the sound of a DX7 above all else (like the UX), there is no alternative.
Only if you prefer the lofi sound of the first DX7. The DX7 II sounded much better…

Return to “Instruments”