Logic: Convert MIDI to Pattern from XLN's XO very lossy

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I must stress how short these notes are. Literally milliseconds long. So it sounds like that is indeed the case, since lengthening improved the situation.

I don't use Logic. In REAPER I can lengthen the notes using Quantize to grid, or I can select them all and drag. Is there a way of doing something like that instead of stretching the pattern itself? If not, you'll have to do more than double it.

lightsfadelow wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:16 am I'm confused by this reply. Is what you're saying you don't repro my Logic issue of converting XO MIDI to patterns in Studio One? I'm unsure how that's relevant. It's great that you don't see any loss of notes in Studio One, but I fail to see how that's relevant in Logic.
Understood that this process does not help you in Logic if I am using Studio One - I merely wanted to compare the two AND I like your suggestion for converting parts to patterns when using XO - this is something that I definitely will be using on the go forward.

For what it's worth from Studio One on your "repro" - I was able to complete all steps and found that just one tone (D#) from that preset (Fermented Rivers) fails to translate from part to pattern.

Studio One does not have an ability (that I could see) to total all selected MIDI notes but the missing tone on D#1 was easy to spot. There may be more but I could not tell the difference soundwise with the notes that did transfer to pattern and then back to MIDI part.

I will be reporting this to Presonus and thanks again for sharing your workflow ideas!

Cheers

VP

yellowmix wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:36 am I must stress how short these notes are. Literally milliseconds long. So it sounds like that is indeed the case, since lengthening improved the situation.

I don't use Logic. In REAPER I can lengthen the notes using Quantize to grid, or I can select them all and drag. Is there a way of doing something like that instead of stretching the pattern itself? If not, you'll have to do more than double it.
Sorry, Yellowmix, if I wasn't clear. The first thing I did was to select all MIDI notes and convert their lengths to have a minimum length of a 16th note. That did not change the number of notes lost at all. Only then did I try the pattern stretch.

This is getting more curious then. This pattern ingestion, what kind of input is it expecting? Surely not from a pattern generator, probably something like a live performance via e-drums or pads or keys or whatever, right? So is there any pattern in what is NOT getting picked up? I have a feeling certain things it thinks are "mistakes" may be getting filtered out. Are there are any settings on the ingestion for sensitivity?

Another test you can do is to manually plot the same pattern and see if Logic can ingest that correctly. That would help rule out XO and possibly narrow things down.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”