Any advice assembling my first computer from components is welcome...

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

whyterabbyt wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 1:55 pm
fmr wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 1:47 pmIt happens the BIOS lacked a driver to be able to use the SSD
During the installation, the OS installer asked me for the driver, I pointed it to the USB stick, it installed the driver, and everything went OK.
On one hand you say the BIOS needs a driver, on the other you admit the OS installer needed the driver.

Only one of these two things is actually correct, and I already told you what was.

But, hey, Ive only built more than a hundred systems, over a period of at least 20-plus years, and you've never built one. So when you ask if something is needed, and get told 'no' and given an explanation, you're the one who knew the answer all along, so go right ahead and argue that you know better. After all, that's why you were asking, right?
The OS "installer" needed to install a driver to be able to use the SSD and install the OS in it. If there isn't any OS installed, where the did the installer installed the driver on?

Also, where did I say I know anything better? Nor did I ask anything either. :roll:
Last edited by fmr on Sun Jan 22, 2023 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 1:58 pm The OS "installer" needed to install a driver IN THE BIOS to be able to use the SSD and install the OS in it.
No, it didnt.
If there isn't any OS installed, where the did the installer installed the driver on?
Oh f**king hell. :idiot:
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

not the op.
lfm/fmr.

vurt wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 1:58 pm different guy ;)
so it is. usernames look the same, so hadnt noticed arsehole joining in to talk shite.

whyterabbyt wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 2:06 pm
vurt wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 1:58 pm different guy ;)
so it is. usernames look the same, so hadnt noticed arsehole joining in to talk shite.
For an arsehole who can't even read properly, and doesn't add anything to ANY conversation, everything looks the same. Maybe buying glasses :roll:
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 2:10 pm For an arsehole who can't even read properly, and doesn't add anything to ANY conversation, everything looks the same. Maybe buying glasses :roll:
yes, I do actually need glasses. Does picking on someone's failing eyesight somehow make you feel big and clever? I bet it does, you're that pathetic.

And yet it still doesnt resolve your complete and utter ignorance of how an OS install works.

whyterabbyt wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 2:15 pm
fmr wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 2:10 pm For an arsehole who can't even read properly, and doesn't add anything to ANY conversation, everything looks the same. Maybe buying glasses :roll:
yes, I do actually need glasses. Does picking on someone's failing eyesight somehow make you feel big and clever? I bet it does, you're that pathetic.
I see... You're becoming old, and that makes you bitter and angry.... Happens to people who lack empathy and good principles. :hihi:

Good guys learn how to deal with that properly, without taking it out on others :roll:

I need glasses too, that's why I use them before reading and answering to someone. And I don't insult everyone. THAT is pathetic.

Maybe you could instead put all your claimed knowledge to use in helping the OP, if you're capable of something like that (which I highly doubt) :roll:
Fernando (FMR)

I see... You're becoming old, and that makes you bitter and angry.... Happens to people who lack empathy and good principles. :hihi:

Good guys learn how to deal with that properly, without taking it out on others :roll:

I need glasses too, that's why I use them before reading and answering to someone. And I don't insult everyone. THAT is pathetic.
So I'll take that as your admission you dont understand OS bootstrapping, then.

Remember to use the washers when screwing the motherboard in! Being stupid I once forgot and was treated to a nice sparking lightshow with a Pentium 3 build years ago.

donkey tugger wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 2:35 pm Remember to use the washers when screwing the motherboard in! Being stupid I once forgot and was treated to a nice sparking lightshow with a Pentium 3 build years ago.
eep.

whyterabbyt wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 2:37 pm
donkey tugger wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 2:35 pm Remember to use the washers when screwing the motherboard in! Being stupid I once forgot and was treated to a nice sparking lightshow with a Pentium 3 build years ago.
eep.
It actually still worked afterwards! :lol:

donkey tugger wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 2:43 pm
whyterabbyt wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 2:37 pm
eep.
It actually still worked afterwards! :lol:
You must have properly installed the washers driver in the BIOS then.

"if once you put the case together, you still have some screws, wires or other parts left on the bench, do not power up"

vurt wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 3:02 pm
"if once you put the case together, you still have some screws, wires or other parts left on the bench, do not power up"
Nah, I always work under the premise of, "it'll be alright." :scared:

vurt wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 3:02 pm
Proper 'good guys' dont have bits left over.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”