I Have an Uncomfortable Admission to Make

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

metamorphosis wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:00 pm I have an uncomfortable admission to make:
I have spent way too much time on KVR over the years.
Can't take it back, ready for the pitch forks and tar.
Please be gentle
ONE OF US ONE OF US ONE OF US
A well-behaved signature.

BONES wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:39 pm Great comeback.
Thanks! Good luck with the belated reflections on your mistakes in life. The thread title was a great start 👍🏻
Last edited by revvy on Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

TBH, I almost never use it any more. I have a Walkman that has a 256GB microSD card in it that is my daily driver now. The ZuneHD maxxed out 7 or 8 years ago. But the fact it is still going after 14 years, 12 of them on a boat, is pretty impressive.
Double Tap wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:14 pmFirst hardware. Next it will be a new Mac.
That ain't gonna happen now because you can't run Windows on 'em any more and I'm not about to give up my PC-only software and learn new applications.
jamcat wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:55 pm I'm still trying to figure out why BONES isn't a musician, and what magical threshold a person has to reach to be one.
It's more that I don't think of myself as a musician. I think of myself as a performer first and foremost, then maybe a producer and a song writer. Being able to play an instrument helps in each of those endeavours but it's not central to any of them. On stage, playing is part of the theatre but we perform songs where I don't play anything and they seem to go down as well as any of the others.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

revvy wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:26 pm
Thanks! I value your views in the same way you value musicians.

Enjoy your Zune and your IK synth 👍🏻
So is IK not a real musical instrument company now?
I thought their motto was "Musicians First." :shrug:
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

jamcat wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:42 pm
revvy wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:26 pm
Enjoy your Zune and your IK synth 👍🏻
So is IK not a real musical instrument company now?
I swear you smoke crack before replying to me as you never make any sense.

Anyway, I changed my post as you were apparently replying. I posted in this thread originally as I respected the title. My new reply now stands, for the record, to reflect that.
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

Double
Last edited by revvy on Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Me not making sense to you is more of a you problem than a me problem.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

Yes, yes, that must be it.

jamcat wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:01 am Me not making sense to you is more of a you problem than a me problem.
I rather guess its not a problem at all, more of an illusion... As so many things we grant being real, especially emotions... Its a great place for great EGOs, love them all...

BONES wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:17 am I'm pretty sure my Uno Pro sounds better than any equivalent softsynth in my arsenal.
Pretty sure you've mentioned it quite a few times before.

The only thing surprising is surely the lack of affiliate link!

:hihi:

I doubt I had, given that everywhere I would use it live, I replaced it with a VSTi in Studio One. It was really only when I was working with SEM that I thought about it, really. They are both three osc synths that sound really good, so it was an easy point of comparison.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Just kids around but I recall you posting a picture of a red and silver stand ages back and saying how much you liked the sound.

It's fine to like hardware synths. They can often sound better than software.

is this your way of telling us, you've finally had your ears syringed?

:lol:

I’m sure you probably already know my 2 pennies worth of wisdom, but my take on things is to ignore the technology behind anything. What makes the Uno sound good to you is irrelevant. I point this out because at one time I wanted an analog distortion with some CV control to pair up with my Dominion 1, a synth that I truly feel is one of the best sounding analog monos of all time. I saw a Roland Torcido come up for sale, and I assumed it was analog, because it seemed to be happening during a time when they paired up with an analog module maker to do Eurorack stuff. The demos sounded fantastic and it seemed to be exactly what I wanted. I mean, it was, so I bought it. Best part is, it works in Eurorack and as a stand alone, and I’m not interested in building a rack.

Smash cut to me finding some Youtube demo about it a few months later, with some sentence like, “Roland’s digital…” WUT?! This thing is digital? :lol: Sure! It is. So what? I didn’t instantly feel any different about it.

Anyway, a lot of people seemed to get tied up in the nature of things, which is kind of funny to me, because it seems to take the focus off why we buy instruments: because we love how they sound and/or we love how working with them is.

One of the first things I do when I hear a hardware synth demo is I try to follow along with the closest thing I have in plugins. Can what I have make a similar sound? Yes? Don’t buy it. No? Buy it.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

I'm pretty much sympatico with everything you wrote. The VSTs are really impressive now so I am finding more of my hardware purchases have to do with wanting to narrow my focus and tackle something with some limitations and a bit of well thought out knobbage so I can relate to it on that level. Even that is hypocrtical to an extent as I am now two cases deep into a modular rig. So what is that all about? Lego for adults?

I do like to take my hands off the mouse button from time to time. A little hybrid satisfaction seems to work well with my brain. I don't think my ears could make a convincing case that analog synths sound better but the interaction is often more satisfying even if inconvenient at times.

At any rate, it is nice to see Bones reflect a bit, change his posture slightly and not feel that a shifting or a poorly expressed opinion is the end of the world.
zerocrossing wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 4:52 pm Anyway, a lot of people seemed to get tied up in the nature of things, which is kind of funny to me, because it seems to take the focus off why we buy instruments: because we love how they sound and/or we love how working with them is.

One of the first things I do when I hear a hardware synth demo is I try to follow along with the closest thing I have in plugins. Can what I have make a similar sound? Yes? Don’t buy it. No? Buy it.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”