erae touch, linnstrument, (rise 2?) etc

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

tapper mike wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:56 pm
Tj wrote: But you can design your own ideas on the Erae. Adapt it to whatever fits your needs. I can easily combine keys and faders, launchpads or 2D controls… That is where it shines. Playing on a 2*2 grid is more difficult than playing the LinnStrument, it needs some extra practice, but its okayish and I can benefit from my muscle memory which is coming from the LinnStrument…
I'm looking right now for a midi controller to use in conjunction with my linnstrument.
Faders, pads/buttons and.... Joystick believe it or not.
Go for it, the Erae is the perfect companion. Certainly better than a touch screen, as it also has the pressure dimension. You can switch fast between different layouts, and have it either as additional LinnStrument-like grid or as drum pads with faders, buttons etc. The surface is big enough to carry all you could ever need... Especially switching between two layouts is just a single press of a button...

A multi-touch screen is not velocity sensitive. You can however simulate velocity by touching the key higher up to get higher velocity. Actually I am beginning to like this method to attain playing velocity.

The other advantage of a multi-touch monitor is that the GUI of an instrument or effect becomes your touch surface.

Finally multi-touch monitor costs less. And they available in various sizes.

I would not recommend beating on the MT monitor like you can on the Erae.

OK, sure, but then you are sacrificing one of the other dimensions of touch for velocity. And how do you do release velocity?
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

As far as I know none of the Multi-touch virtual midi keyboard controllers have release velocity capability. For those that require release velocity capability should avoid these MT keyboards.

My MT monitor currently is not working but will get a 24" soon and will experiment with putting two, three of four isomorphic keyboards in it. The Lenovo T24T0-20 was on sale for $300 and now it is well over $400. He who hesitates ...

From what I’ve learned from reading other people’s comments on various MPE controllers, and pretty much everything, is that you don’t know how you’ll feel until you get there. The Rise 49 was my first and last, but I got lucky. Maybe the Continuum would be better, but it was out of my price range. Maybe one day.

To me, the moment I touched it, I thought, “this feels perfect.” If you listen to others, they’ll tell you they absolutely hate it. Is it good for everything? No. I don’t like it for percussive type sounds. Pianos, mallets, etc. I still use a traditional keyboard for a lot of things, but when I use my Rise, it’s sublime.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

I always planned to buy a Rise... but then Osmose was announced and I have a Linnstrument and ERAE Touch with Osmose soon to arrive. Those 3 are enough so the Rise is the odd one out. Not cause I dislike it, but that is just how it worked out, influenced by the uncertain future.

Such a shame they discontinued the Sensel Morph, still use mine everyday
Ableton Live 11,Push 3/Deepmind 12D, Roland VT4, TR-8S, Roland Fantom 06, Zoom MS-70CDR

I had emailed them to make a 63/76/88 key Morph.
Ah, so disappointed that thy did not.

Does anyone know if the Rise 2 supports 14-bit MIDI for pressure and slide(y) input?

I asked this in another thread but didn't get a reply so apologies for posting it again. I'm almost ready to pre-order a Rise 2 if I can get an answer to this question... though it's alarming that Roli support do not respond to pre-order questions like this.

[/quote]
I'm looking right now for a midi controller to use in conjunction with my linnstrument.
Faders, pads/buttons and.... Joystick believe it or not.
[/quote]
Everything but pads.
https://yaeltex.com

My Osmose should arrive in the next couple of weeks, I think I’ll sell Linnstrument if that works out to be a complete MPE solution. Good times :)

arvindj wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:58 pm Does anyone know if the Rise 2 supports 14-bit MIDI for pressure and slide(y) input?

I asked this in another thread but didn't get a reply so apologies for posting it again. I'm almost ready to pre-order a Rise 2 if I can get an answer to this question... though it's alarming that Roli support do not respond to pre-order questions like this.
I have no idea about the technology behind it, but from a user standpoint, I’ve never felt that anything felt low resolution or stepped in any way when using my Rise 49 mk1. I use both MPE software instruments and a hardware instrument. (Prophet 6)

Don’t get caught up in another company’s marketing terms. There are plenty of demos of the Rise. If you think they sound smooth and expressive, then it is.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

simmo75 wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:48 pm My Osmose should arrive in the next couple of weeks, I think I’ll sell Linnstrument if that works out to be a complete MPE solution. Good times :)
My Osmose should be here soon too.

No way I would ever sell my Linnstrument. There is too much useful stuff it does that Osmose doesn't.

Those things are just for controllers, not for playing music.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

arvindj wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:58 pm Does anyone know if the Rise 2 supports 14-bit MIDI for pressure and slide(y) input?
The Midi specs would tell you that. The one which is crucial does 14-bit. That is pitch bend. Pressure is 7-bit, and way above what you could control with your human hands with pressure, and cc74 is, you guessed it, also 7-bit, as 14-bit cc is composed out of two cc commands…
Its is absolutely sufficient in my experience… Especially on a wobbly surface as the Seaboard…
simmo75 wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:48 pm My Osmose should arrive in the next couple of weeks, I think I’ll sell Linnstrument if that works out to be a complete MPE solution. Good times :)
The Osmose is very far from being complete in terms of MPE. One dimension is missing completely, but it adds a lot to a standard keyboard and for keyboardists its something for feeling at home without learning a new instrument.
I was thinking I need to get one, but after I touched a real one at SuperBooth, I dropped that idea. I rather learn my LinnStrument deeper…

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”