Opinion: why so many lofi libraries/effects these days?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

GaryG wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:08 pm
Dumbquestions wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:46 am I guess I’m supposed to be making more beats for people to relax/study to?
I think that's the crux of it, those lofi study YT channels and playlists are incredibly popular, people making some serious cash off them.

So (being a total cynic...) maybe 'producers' are seeing them as an easy way to make money, not the most taxing of genres (IMOSHO) especially if you have the tools/samples...
Yep, streaming is king and people play lots of those beats to chill-by channels for hours at a time.

Brian Eno was right.

E: and there's nothing better for walking the dog on a chilly night than some chill beats

Lofi hiphop has been the default genre aspiration for a lot of young producers for some time now. It's relatively easy to make and there are lofi playlists everywhere. Easy crowd to market to.

I think this market is still underserved as far as instruments go. For FX there's a ton, but most of the instruments I see could be much better. On the low end, there's a bunch of Maize Sampler instruments that need to be on your C drive, and on the high end there is Spectrasonics' Expansion and Falcon's expansion. I haven't used Falcon's but the Spectrasonics one is a bit... extra - the enemy of lofi. I'll check out Phonec 2 mentioned earlier in this thread.
If every KVR member wrote one review a year we'd have 1340 reviews each day!

I find that lo-fi type synth patches and lo-fi type effects crossover well into other genres. Another reason why they are popular.

"Opinion: why so many lofi libraries/effects these days?"

Because the lofi grainy computer generated sound disguises the sound otherwise not passing as enough authentic analog sounding.

Because nostalgia sells, particularly when tsome vague concept of a “golden age” can be pimped out, and what-many-people-think-of-as-“the-80s-sound” (and vision, actually) has for a while now been the supreme nostalgia du jour: reel to reel recording, albums on cassette, movies on VHS tape, crappy car audio systems, walkmans, low bitrate and sample rate digital gear, etc.

kvotchin wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:09 pm Because nostalgia sells, particularly when tsome vague concept of a “golden age” can be pimped out, and what-many-people-think-of-as-“the-80s-sound” (and vision, actually) has for a while now been the supreme nostalgia du jour: reel to reel recording, albums on cassette, movies on VHS tape, crappy car audio systems, walkmans, low bitrate and sample rate digital gear, etc.
so long as i don't have to get a perm or wear a pastel suit with the sleeves rolled up :o

though i would benefit from shoulder pads

vurt wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:22 pm though i would benefit from shoulder pads
That's an awfully long way to pee. :o
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

Shabdahbriah wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:27 pm
vurt wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:22 pm though i would benefit from shoulder pads
That's an awfully long way to pee. :o
i had the whole unit, transplanted to the shoulder, to fool people who try to kick me in the balls 8)

gaggle of hermits wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:08 pm see also: covers of Time magazine.
Excellent!

Think: David Byrne.
“Madness, as you know, is like gravity: all it takes is a little push.”

ok, lo fi chords midi pack...

surely that's just chords?
as midi is not audio, how can a chord be lo fi?

vurt wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:13 pm ok, lo fi chords midi pack...

surely that's just chords?
as midi is not audio, how can a chord be lo fi?
The chord progressions make very little progress
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

vurt wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:13 pm as midi is not audio, how can a chord be lo fi?
I said pretty much the same in this thread:
viewtopic.php?p=8608625#p8608625

LoFi Midi FFS :tantrum:

Return to “Instruments”