Professionals mostly use Macs? Should I go Windows or Mac?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I once had a big Mac. Gave me indigestion. Now I'm Windows all the way.

Apparently if you persistently open your Mac in public, the police like to have a word with you. Even outside Windows.

I had cheese without the Mac , all I can say was it wasn’t the same.

I won’t go deep into the usability of the OSes, because it’s subjective and a topic of personal preferences. I’ve personally used Windows, macOS and Linux, all three of them, as a main desktop OS for many years, so I had enough chances to compare them all in usability aspects; I’ve chosen one of them, but I know that’s just something personal; and I admit that for specific cases and scenarios, all three could be good, and I would happily use either.
I won’t go in some other important distinction between PC and Mac ecosystems: Apple has their core software and hardware built inhouse, while PC ecosystem has it separated, so to bring some real innovation, they’d really have to manage to synchronize the OS manufacturers and the hardware manufacturers. That’s cool for the OS level and for the Apple’s own software (and of course Logic – which, for example, due to such a good “inhouse sync”, managed to promptly get that iOS second screen); but that’s not really that important. Because as long as you go outside of Apple infrastructure, and bring in the non-Apple hardware, or non-Apple software, you
still have to synchronize that “externally”. Let’s go integrate that Arturia keyboard with that Ableton Live...

But I know there is some really specific use case when the professional would indeed love Apple, and PCs wouldn’t be an alternative at all. Not some Apple-specific unique software (yes, we love Logic Pro, but there is FL Studio over there; we love some Mapping Tonal Harmony Pro, but there probably are some very unique Windows-only programs, too). That’s a very specific use case, not everyone needs it. But...

Imagine, that you are using your Mac in your real concert gigs. Running Ableton Live or Mainstage, having the music scenes prepared. Maybe, you are DJing or VJing through the computer.
And you are having a concert tour. Real, serious, big tour. Multiple countries, multiple people in your team, manager, equipment.
Then, your computer becomes a really important, inseparable part of your gig. If it breaks, everything breaks.
In such an important scenario, most likely you won’t be able to rely upon anything but Apple.
Why?
Well, you definitely would have everything backed up. An external harddrive, or two, or something, just with the backups of everything. Those hard drives may even go on different planes with different people, for true paranoid opsec. But you still have that computer of yours, which is an important part of that.
But what if it physically breaks? A lightning strikes right into the case; or it gets transported by United.
You have the concert tomorrow, you have all the backups, but now you need a new computer.
If there is some computer you can buy in virtually every city large enough – that’s Mac. You find a computer store in Spain, US, Australia, India – and you get a Mac there.
And that Mac would be a stock one. There won’t be extra brand-specific software, antiviruses that suddenly freeze your computer, brand-specific control panels, helpers, widgets. No brand-specific drivers that conflict with other drivers or behave differently. That would be the same Mac with same stock macOS in any point of the world. Well, it could be different versions of macOS, and you will upgrade it to the latest one, and it’s still the same latest one, stock one. You restore everything from your backup, and you are in virtually the same setup as before. Without worrying if your new Dell is unexpectedly different from your old broken Lenovo.

Agreed, PCs for everyone except internationally touring butterfingers megastars that like flying kites in stormy weather.

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

WatchTheGuitar wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:49 pm Agreed, PCs for everyone except internationally touring butterfingers megastars that like flying kites in stormy weather.
That’s the way we all go…

WatchTheGuitar wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:49 pm Agreed, PCs for everyone except internationally touring butterfingers megastars that like flying kites in stormy weather.
I actually LOLed at this and I NEVER LOL!

The term “professional” is nuanced. Whatever you use to make money, that makes you a professional. Some people swear by certain daws, and some daws are more ubiquitous or exclusive to certain platforms. Like Logic. I’m partial to Logic, because I’ve tried it and love it. It works for me. I’ve never tried music production on Windows, but that’s just me. When I was in music school, a Mac was required. Anecdotal points for Mac

HREQ wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 2:14 pm most people who are Pros in the industry I.E. Chart toppers, hit songs, and all that are mostly all on Mac. Everytime I search up "who produced this song" or "who mixed this song" and I find them it's ALWAYS on a mac. Seems like most bedroom music producers are on windows though... maybe that's why they are not making it in the industry? Is Mac the secert to making hits? Anybody switch from windows to mac here did you like it betters? lol
I use both, and I can say with great confidence that the platform you use to make music has zero to do with writing a hit. However, Macs generally look sexier, so in promo photos, you’ll project the proper hipster vibe if you’ve got Apple products in it.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

"Child sized nets"

zerocrossing wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:03 pm
HREQ wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 2:14 pm most people who are Pros in the industry I.E. Chart toppers, hit songs, and all that are mostly all on Mac. Everytime I search up "who produced this song" or "who mixed this song" and I find them it's ALWAYS on a mac. Seems like most bedroom music producers are on windows though... maybe that's why they are not making it in the industry? Is Mac the secert to making hits? Anybody switch from windows to mac here did you like it betters? lol
I use both, and I can say with great confidence that the platform you use to make music has zero to do with writing a hit. However, Macs generally look sexier, so in promo photos, you’ll project the proper hipster vibe if you’ve got Apple products in it.
I don't know, recent Macs look rather ugly to me and PCs come in all kinds of nice designs.

amyodov wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 3:27 am
If there is some computer you can buy in virtually every city large enough – that’s Mac. You find a computer store in Spain, US, Australia, India – and you get a Mac there.
So you're saying that you can't buy a PC in a major city? Also, if you're going on a tour of that scale you will most likely be bringing some backup machines for redundancy anyway. I have 4 different brand PCs running the same DAW and the same plugins and have had zero issues with any software only running on different machines. It's only an issue if you have older PCs that might have old versions of something like OpenGL or something like that. Anyway, I don't really care what type of computer you are using but you are spewing absolute silliness with your statements.

one on each foot for professional skaters.

seangm wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:42 pm…but you are spewing absolute silliness with your statements.
That sums up every Mac-vs-PC thread ever.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

cryophonik wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:48 pm
seangm wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:42 pm…but you are spewing absolute silliness with your statements.
That sums up every Mac-vs-PC thread ever.
no! you do!
and
and grrrr im leaving you! and im taking the mac and pc! you neglect them for your floozy hardware :cry:

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”