Waves abandon perpetual licenses and WUP

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm gonna have a nice long talk with someone at waves. It's a damn shame that they think that this is a sound business idea. If I ran a standard commercial studio for post production or something then the subscription idea might make a small amount of sense, but I don't and I will not be updating my many many many waves products unless they roll this dumb shit back. I've been using waves since V4 and I like their stuff just fine, but I can't ever support a move like this financially. I'll leave my plugins as they are and start phasing out the use of any waves gear moving forward. Hopefully the personal studio market won't cave to this idiocy and they will either fail as a company switch back to a semi reasonable business model.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

Ah_Dziz wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:35 am I'm gonna have a nice long talk with someone at waves. It's a damn shame that they think that this is a sound business idea. If I ran a standard commercial studio for post production or something then the subscription idea might make a small amount of sense, but I don't and I will not be updating my many many many waves products unless they roll this dumb shit back. I've been using waves since V4 and I like their stuff just fine, but I can't ever support a move like this financially. I'll leave my plugins as they are and start phasing out the use of any waves gear moving forward. Hopefully the personal studio market won't cave to this idiocy and they will either fail as a company switch back to a semi reasonable business model.
To be honest, I would prefer Waves disappear. If that means they keep the sub only and deal with their dumbass shackled pro customers, that's great. As long as they stay out of my life. I am happy to see them go away in any way possible. Especially after this move. If they decide to back track, doesn't matter, they are a dead company to me and they should be for you too. Give your money to devs who care and make great products, not Wave who are a bloated marketing dinosaur with mediocre products.
Last edited by plexuss on Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

I’ve gone from being pissed off to being excited about deleting all my Waves plug-ins. Helps me simplify, which is my goal now. What a horrible company.

This WUP was fkd'WUP as well . Paying for updates ? That are not really updates . .. now this . I'm done . Glad I only have like 4 plugins but I feel ripped off . Glad they were only $29 dollars . I'm guessing the subscription is gonna be $29 a month lolz 🤣

Has anyone noticed their middle finger got longer?
MuLab-Reaper of course :D

if you purchased WUP and do not get any updates Waves does during the period WUP is active that is fraud.
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

Definitely goodbye Waves for me. Kind of a shame.

ATS wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:06 am if you purchased WUP and do not get any updates Waves does during the period WUP is active that is fraud.
Imagine if you just purchased WUP and the next day this Subscription crap comes out and you didn't get a chance to download your plugins , I'd been so pissed . WUP was bull$#&t as well . But this takes the cake . What a d!¢k move.

Waves probably came to the conclusion that their existing business model is not working, and we who are complaining are no longer part of their core business. They probably made the calculation that although they will lose a big chunk of paying customers now, they will be compensated by subscribers who are dazzled by the prospect of having all the world famous Waves plugs within reach. Another benefit for Waves will obviously be that from now on they can pretty much release whatever they want and it will just merge into the economical calculations of the Waves-Borg-Collective of plugs. A failed release won't hurt as much because of the new model.

Waves will be just fine and as been pointed out a couple of times already, just as with Plugin Alliance we won't get as many marketing emails from them any longer, which will be refreshing.

The only thing I personally will miss is Vocal Rider. There are others plugins like it, but I really liked the UI and simplicity of it.
CLUB VICE for ARTURIA PIGMENTS
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

Email Waves with your thoughts https://www.waves.com/contact-sales . I did. I let them know they are dead to me as a customer regardless of any policy changes.

plexuss wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:41 am Email Waves with your thoughts https://www.waves.com/contact-sales . I did. I let them know they are dead to me as a customer regardless of any policy changes.
yeah I hit them up with a nasty response . I hope everyone will follow suit . This stuff pissed me off .

plexuss wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:41 am Email Waves with your thoughts https://www.waves.com/contact-sales . I did. I let them know they are dead to me as a customer regardless of any policy changes.
Expect to be rewarded by your efforts with a prewritten copy/paste response.
CLUB VICE for ARTURIA PIGMENTS
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

The best protest would be to stop giving Waves money, look for alternatives.
People complain that the Audio plug market is saturated, that's good because there are alternatives.
The market is never saturated for those that innovate.
The smallest minority on earth is the individual.
~A.Rand

The better business model would have been to keep perpetual single license sales and WUP without the drastic discounts alongside their subscription plans.

That way, if you have plugins already, you are allowed to keep them updated. If you want a single, you can still buy a single.. albeit at a higher price.

If you find the subscription makes more sense to you well that would be available as well.

That way they don't lose old customers while still potentially gaining new. And I can see the case for them wanting to keep the old customers, because there are so many other quality outfits making pro audio plugins that don't have to deal with subscriptions.

I imagine UA, for example, is probably doing their happy dance right about now..

I created this google doc to keep track of Waves product alternative. Feel free to contribute and share...

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

Return to “Effects”