Laptop or Macbook? Always been a Desktop user, apple scares me

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm with Mac for the first time now. Base model MacBook Air m1. It works wonderfully and no DPC latency issues, and for that reason I'm thinking of sticking with Mac for the foreseeable future.

Few months ago I tried Lenovo with AMD Risen 5000 series processor and it did not perform much better than a Dell laptop with ancient Intel i5 5300u.

ARM has advantage on the power efficiency; I can take this laptop on a sofa and master songs with plugins on insane quality settings and it feels almost like browsing internet pages. Windows and desktop Linux is lacking behind on ARM transition. Hopefully both will catch up!

As for the macOS, it is unix operating system that does not differ a lot from a modern Linux with Gnome desktop, other than being maybe more user-friendly.

Kalee wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:02 am ARM has advantage on the power efficiency; I can take this laptop on a sofa and master songs with plugins on insane quality settings and it feels almost like browsing internet pages. Windows and desktop Linux is lacking behind on ARM transition. Hopefully both will catch up!
Funny, I have exactly the same experience than you. Before my laptop was burning hot and very uncomfortable to keep. With m1/2 it is now at room temperature and silent.
Hope pc will soon be on ARM too

Jac459 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:30 am Well I have an engineering master degree in computer science and I am managing a 400 staffs IT department with development teams and infrastructure teams. So yes, I guess I understand pretty well the difference between arm and x86 (or risc vs cisc) including at code amd compilation level. Risc was better than cisc 30 years, and it still is. Arm will replace x86, it is inevitable. I remember my teachers saying that in the late 90s already... It took time but it finally happened.

But it isn't the topic of this thread and I am not looking at convincing you.
Yes but you aren't the most obnoxious person in the room, so you are wrong, de facto :lol:
Always Read the Manual!

PieBerger wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:11 am Yes but you aren't the most obnoxious person in the room, so you are wrong, de facto :lol:
Haha, glad I am not 😀.
I am not an English native so I'd like to thank you for teaching me a new word : obnoxious. (I have freaking no idea how to pronounce it though).

Jac459 wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:20 am
PieBerger wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:11 am Yes but you aren't the most obnoxious person in the room, so you are wrong, de facto :lol:
Haha, glad I am not 😀.
I am not an English native so I'd like to thank you for teaching me a new word : obnoxious. (I have freaking no idea how to pronounce it though).
Ob (like Bob)-Knock (on a door)-Shus (like Puss in Boots) I hope that helps :D
Always Read the Manual!

PieBerger wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:36 am Ob (like Bob)-Knock (on a door)-Shus (like Puss in Boots) I hope that helps :D
It does help a lot.....
.... and it is very far from what would have been my first guess he he....

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”