Ooh, I like This Modular Rack...

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

whyterabbyt wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:54 am
elxsound wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:29 am I don't know if you're able to answer this question, but I'm hoping you could...

That Niftycase shows a max depth of 55mm, and I have the Doepfer SEM which is listed at 55mm.

What do you think the chances are of the SEM filter fitting inside the Niftycase?

I'm looking at used Niftycases as a temporary setup until my 2nd Rackbrute arrives (pending new stock delivery from Arturia to Perfect Circuit).
Hmmm, bit tight that, innit. Im not sure if that depth listed for the case includes the flying bus, but on mine it was glued to the case, so available depth at some points was less than others. Even separate from that, though, tolerances on the module could mean a given one could be more, or less than exactly 55mm. More would be an issue, obviously.

If its temporary, you could use the risers trick, spacers in between the module and the case; I think Ive seen a couple of photographs in this or another KVR thread.
Mine wasn't glued, but, I don't think the Doepfer will fit well. The power connector is right along the bottom of the board so, in addition to the depth of the module, you'll have to carefully arrange the power connector. I was able to push my bus back into the case and fit the Disting EX at 50mm into the case, but, it wouldn't really fit with the bus running underneath the board.

FWIW, might was only glued on in one place, ie behind/beside one of the 16-pin connectors, vertically like the connector. It seemed like it should have been another one that'd come loose, but just those two spots, not across the whole thing. Just in case anyone was wondering if a glued-in bus was easy to unfix to move, as per GS above, yeah it was here...
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

elxsound wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:29 am I don't know if you're able to answer this question, but I'm hoping you could...

That Niftycase shows a max depth of 55mm, and I have the Doepfer SEM which is listed at 55mm.

What do you think the chances are of the SEM filter fitting inside the Niftycase?

I'm looking at used Niftycases as a temporary setup until my 2nd Rackbrute arrives (pending new stock delivery from Arturia to Perfect Circuit).
Hmmm, bit tight that, innit. Im not sure if that depth listed for the case includes the flying bus, but on mine it was glued to the case, so available depth at some points was less than others. Even separate from that, though, tolerances on the module could mean a given one could be more, or less than exactly 55mm. More would be an issue, obviously.

If its temporary, you could use the risers trick, spacers in between the module and the case; I think Ive seen a couple of photographs in this or another KVR thread.
I forgot about that as an option… I think that was mentioned a little while back with links too.

Seems I have time… I thought I had a good price for a used Niftycase, but then saw shipping was $75, pushing it past the new prices.

Looks like I’m back on the hunt

elxsound wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:17 pm

I forgot about that as an option… I think that was mentioned a little while back with links too.

Seems I have time… I thought I had a good price for a used Niftycase, but then saw shipping was $75, pushing it past the new prices.

FWIW, I find the NiftyCase too large for small desktop module explorations. I'm going to get one of the AMS pods for that. No more than about 4 modules in the case, no 1U as I don't have any 1u. I only mention this because once you don't need it you either need to think about selling it or continuing to use it.

ghettosynth wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:42 pm
elxsound wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:17 pm

FWIW, I find the NiftyCase too large for small desktop module explorations. I'm going to get one of the AMS pods for that. No more than about 4 modules in the case, no 1U as I don't have any 1u. I only mention this because once you don't need it you either need to think about selling it or continuing to use it.
I’ve got x2 of the 48x powered pods and I do like them.

I was just thinking that since they’re all around the same price, it might be easier to work with the 84hp, with additional midi in/out on the case. It’s definitely not essential to have that and at the used prices I’m likely crossing Niftycase off the list.

I was looking at getting just the TipTop angled Z-Ears, since I have rails and Zeus power supply, but then I remembered that Marley (kitten) is still just a bit over 3 months and is a trouble maker. Leaving an open back with dangling things wouldn’t be smart.

There’s lots of options, but I’ll keep hunting for the right price point. I think I saw an empty Moog 60hp case for $60. That looks like has more depth than the 48x pod (about 53mm) or the 60x pod (55mm).

**EDIT:

Just ordered the 2nd RackBrute from a different shop. It’s a little more money but much less than buying any temporary case.

Well, in case anyone's not paying attention, Sweetwater just dropped all of their prices on Behringer synth products. Some drops are amazing. Had I waited I could have save a few bucks. I was still able to return some stuff to Amazon and I pulled the trigger on some things that I was waiting to go on sale.

In particular, it solved my second sequencer problem for the time being as the B.ARP sequencer is now $99, which makes it the obvious choice to pair with the sequential mixer. Some of the drops are very significant on the low end modules. The roland ringmod/noise/LFO is half price.

Sweetwater claims that this came from Behringer. I'll take their word for it, but of course I don't know the details.

ghettosynth wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:25 pm Well, in case anyone's not paying attention, Sweetwater just dropped all of their prices on Behringer synth products. Some drops are amazing. Had I waited I could have save a few bucks. I was still able to return some stuff to Amazon and I pulled the trigger on some things that I was waiting to go on sale.

In particular, it solved my second sequencer problem for the time being as the B.ARP sequencer is now $99, which makes it the obvious choice to pair with the sequential mixer. Some of the drops are very significant on the low end modules. The roland ringmod/noise/LFO is half price.

Sweetwater claims that this came from Behringer. I'll take their word for it, but of course I don't know the details.
:o Those are great prices. I’m staying focused though. If I hadn’t just bought Dystopia (noise sources) I would have gotten the S&H module. It’s a great deal.

Here’s the latest version of the rack.

Any foreseeable problems with this setup?

Pending delivery:
  • ALA - Auring (Ears clone)
  • Dreadbox - Utopia
  • SSF - Steady State Gate
The expendables list (can be removed to make space later on)
  • MN - Rosie 8hp
  • Endorphins - Squawk Dirty 6hp
  • Endorphins - Milky Way 6hp
  • *TTA - Fold Process 12hp - I’m going to use it this time before deciding
The Dreadbox stuff except for Utopia and Dystopia might make their way into a different case down the line too.

ghettosynth wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:25 pm Well, in case anyone's not paying attention, Sweetwater just dropped all of their prices on Behringer synth products. Some drops are amazing. Had I waited I could have save a few bucks. I was still able to return some stuff to Amazon and I pulled the trigger on some things that I was waiting to go on sale.

Looks like the price falls are across the board:

https://synthanatomy.com/2023/03/behri ... dwide.html

The Neutron might be back on my list if it drops by 60%!

2023-03-23 19_21_05-Current - Eurorack Modular System from Stefken on ModularGrid – Mozilla Firefox.png

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/2206773

I went for it. :hyper:
I have these modules coming my way.
Very interesting modules imo with an average price below 100 euro per module.
I like some bang for the buck. :)

I ll start with this. More expensive modules like Maths and CVilization may make their way into my modular but they ll have to prove their worth first.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Stefken wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:35 pm 2023-03-23 19_21_05-Current - Eurorack Modular System from Stefken on ModularGrid – Mozilla Firefox.png

I ll start with this. More expensive modules like Maths and CVilization may make their way into my modular but they ll have to prove their worth first.
Am I remembering correctly that this is to compliment a Moog Grandmother?

SHall1000 wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:46 pm
Stefken wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:35 pm 2023-03-23 19_21_05-Current - Eurorack Modular System from Stefken on ModularGrid – Mozilla Firefox.png

Am I remembering correctly that this is to compliment a Moog Grandmother?
Yes, i have a grandmother which i will use as base system.
I have also a MS-20 mini. I was thinking to replace the MS-20 mini with the Dual Borg but i will mess with the Mini first. Probably better to just link it in semi-modular way (main use: the filter) and keep the possibilities of the MS-20 as a whole.

So i have ~4adsr's, 2 lfo/VCO's, 5 voices, 1 wavefolder and ... wait for it ... 7 filters :D
Hmm, i think i need more filters. :wink:

(Not sure if i can use the lfo's of the mini: s-trig and v-trig whatever; i still have to look into how well the MS-20 will fit into this setup).

voltages are different so you'd need some sort of adapter.

SHall1000 wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:11 pm
Looks like the price falls are across the board:

https://synthanatomy.com/2023/03/behri ... dwide.html

The Neutron might be back on my list if it drops by 60%!
You might wait for Captain Proton instead of the Neutron.

I wonder how much this might sell for if these price drops do materialise.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/behringer_sy ... ent=widget

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”