Contest: March ”Gossip”

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

A dry song.

Mr Hellfog. Can you clarify what this rule means:

6 - Your entry(s) must be created with audio plugins or software studio.

Is it enough that I record my song in a DAW and use some compression/eq plugins? I might not use any virtual instruments at all for this round.
Captain Silverpants

Hellfog wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 6:23 pm A dry song.
Dry is natural music, before engineers start triggering pleasure centers in brain. In the near future the music industry feeds everything that is known about what gives pleasure to a human to an AI, then orders the AI to create products that optimize / maximize the human pleasure.

silverpants wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 8:13 pm Mr Hellfog. Can you clarify what this rule means:

Is it enough that I record my song in a DAW and use some compression/eq plugins? I might not use any virtual instruments at all for this round.
Yes, so long you are recording in a daw you are complied by the rules.

Does are some old rules, personally so long you recording with something you are fine.

Very cool idea, I actually had an idea for a future music café - one is forced to download and only use extremely expensive plugins, in DEMO Mode. Plugins one would usually never buy and make a song using ONLY these expensive plugins, both Instruments and effects.

I've sometimes made tracks using plugins in demo mode which turned out so good I felt I was forced to buy the VST for like $30 - but if we have to use several super expensive fx and instruments that we would usually never buy - maybe 4 for $79, 1 that cost $149, 2 that cost $199, 3 $249 and so on it would very interesting - would anyone love the unique result so much to actually buy the plugins that were used? ;) Even if that means paying $1500?!? :hihi:
Fusion

Actually when I think about, that would be a pretty cool monthly competition.
Then it doesn't have to necessarily be very expensive plugins - it could just be a few new products used in demo mode and if one had various developers as sponsors for this type of monthly demo competition the winner(s) would get the full version(s) of whatever was used! :D
Fusion

silverpants wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 8:13 pm Mr Hellfog. Can you clarify what this rule means:

As Hellfog mentioned, this appears to be a copied-again-and-again leftover of the contest of many many moons ago (hey, I was there :hihi: ) when recording in a Digital Audio Workstation was not a given, and K-v-R was there to promote that stuff.

I mean, in this day and age, you do record your acoustic guitar with a software recorder and then process it with software effects, right?

Yadrichik_Chaya wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 10:16 pm Actually when I think about, that would be a pretty cool monthly competition.
Then it doesn't have to necessarily be very expensive plugins - it could just be a few new products used in demo mode and if one had various developers as sponsors for this type of monthly demo competition the winner(s) would get the full version(s) of whatever was used! :D
That would be more like OSC stuff, with a plugin of month instead of synth of month, wouldn't it?

Yadrichik_Chaya wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 10:16 pm Actually when I think about, that would be a pretty cool monthly competition.
Challenge: "Weave these short noises or sound loss every 30 seconds into your music!" :hihi:
Then here's another idea for Music Cafe: Create a track, be sure to use an intermittent (possibly atonal) sound in it, simulating the protection of the demo plugin! The sound can be provided, it is possible to add a rule that the sound period should not coincide with the main tempo (strong share) of the music.

By dry song, this means no reverb or something else?

Hellfog defined a dry song:

"Do a song without Delay, Reverb, Echo, Flanger, Chorus, or others that would fit those criteria.
and it doesn't matter if reverb is from a plugin, pedal or rack, or a church NO reverb is allowed.

attack/decay/release and retriggering notes. is allowed.

Must contain at least 3 instruments of your choice.

Compressors/limiters/Eq and others of a similar sort are allowed"

I take that vocal counts as instrument.

After all this time it's bound to be difficult to come up with new theme ideas, but I quite like this one. There's plenty of flexibility without having the push the envelope,
It wasn't me! (well, actually, it probably was) - apparently now an 'elderly' so maybe I forgot!

Natural instruments either use some resonance cavity to amplify and shape the sound, or they don't use one. When we electronically recreate the natural sound of a piano for example we have to model the resonance cavities of a natural piano by using echo/reverb/delay. Thus we can say that many natural instruments are wet.

Hellfog, where do you draw the line of dryness?

harvon wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 8:36 am Natural instruments either use some resonance cavity to amplify and shape the sound, or they don't use one. When we electronically recreate the natural sound of a piano for example we have to model the resonance cavities of a natural piano by using echo/reverb/delay. Thus we can say that many natural instruments are wet.

Hellfog, where do you draw the line of dryness?
You can play on any instrument you want or vocals, so long you don’t add extra wetness to the sound, some can have natural sustain that’s is fine.

I have a suggestion what we could do in APRIL. It takes a bit time to organize so I talk about it already now.
1) Hellfog opens APRIL gossip very early
2) Anyone can compose a melody, that is verse + chorus, both at least of required length
3) Lyrics are not required but can be given too
4) The composed melodies (with lyrics) are posted to APRIL gossip
5) If there appears a sufficient number of melodies, the APRIL contest rule will be to pick any one of the posted melodies (with lyrics) and make it a full song. The melody must be composed by someone else, not by oneself.

Return to “Music Cafe”