My Tritone Layout (+6 Offset) Resources

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I edited the Quick Reference document and added a small note regarding the left thumb.
  • The left thumb can be used in place of the little finger on right-handed chords.
  • Omit the midde or ring finger if using this technique to retain the four finger chord voicing.
This is the technique I use to access right-handed chords, so I do not need to switch hands during performance.

The Finger and Fretboard Diagram (7-35) documents are currently under peer review by Miles and those in the Discord server. Any and all feedback for these documents are appreciated, and if so desired, credited.

I have started a new document for "inter-hand" movement. The initial focus is "neighbour chords", which provides other chord options to use while maintaining a similar hand shape. Later I may write up about performing both chords and melodies on the same hand, but development of that concept depends on what direction I end up going.

Nice work. RubikAndy (on the discord) and I have been compiling information for a similar guide for the wholetone layout. Layouts were a big topic early on in the discord and I had a chance to talk to Miles about the tritone one and see a video of him playing it. It's interesting to see how each layout can affect how you approach playing.

As far as feedback, I prefer more condensed formatting like cheat sheets, with less spacing between elements on the page. This makes it a bit more friendly to have with you for reference and for printing. That's the way we'll probably do ours, but I'm not sure if everyone would agree with me on that.

flipcoder wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 7:52 am Nice work. RubikAndy (on the discord) and I have been compiling information for a similar guide for the wholetone layout. Layouts were a big topic early on in the discord and I had a chance to talk to Miles about the tritone one and see a video of him playing it. It's interesting to see how each layout can affect how you approach playing.
Thank you. I would put up videos of myself on PeerTube performing if I could, but I have no budget for that. It will probably come next year with some careful financial planning.

The tritone layout works best with scales and/or genres that use that interval frequently, like jazz. That is primarily why I wrote chord diagrams documents for four fingers, not three, as jazz is a small but significant part of my musical background. There are other reasons why I chose the tritone layout, but they are mostly esoteric.
flipcoder wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 7:52 amAs far as feedback, I prefer more condensed formatting like cheat sheets, with less spacing between elements on the page. This makes it a bit more friendly to have with you for reference and for printing. That's the way we'll probably do ours, but I'm not sure if everyone would agree with me on that.
You may want to consider making the documents editable. That is why all of the documents I have released are under the Creative Commons Zero license, so anyone is free to modify them to suit their needs. This freed up my time early on to develop the tritone layout further and write more documents. Now two more are under review and another one is on the way.

Two additional documents have been added into the archive attachment. One of the documents, Finger Diagrams, provides a framework for performing intervals using either hand, while the other document, Fretboard Diagram (7-35), highlights patterns and suggests navigation while ascending or descending the diatonic scale.

I decided to cancel the inter-hand finger movement document, as it became too broad and unmanageable. However, I have a basic framework worth mentioning for those seeking to advance their proficiency:
  1. Chord shapes (in my documents) can be separated into two forms.
    1. Two-rows chords
    2. Three-rows chords
  2. Each chord shape within each category can slide into each other.
    • Left-handed and right-handed chord shapes are mutually exclusive.
As for what to slide into, that is up to the performer. Each chord has multiple chord shapes, which makes documenting every option available tedious.

I will be taking a break from writing documents to improve my proficiency and for other projects, but I may add more documents for other modal families in the future. Feel free to leave feedback, and if desired, I can directly credit you in the documents for them.

FranklyFlawless wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 8:28 am
flipcoder wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 7:52 am Nice work. RubikAndy (on the discord) and I have been compiling information for a similar guide for the wholetone layout. Layouts were a big topic early on in the discord and I had a chance to talk to Miles about the tritone one and see a video of him playing it. It's interesting to see how each layout can affect how you approach playing.
Thank you. I would put up videos of myself on PeerTube performing if I could, but I have no budget for that. It will probably come next year with some careful financial planning.

The tritone layout works best with scales and/or genres that use that interval frequently, like jazz. That is primarily why I wrote chord diagrams documents for four fingers, not three, as jazz is a small but significant part of my musical background. There are other reasons why I chose the tritone layout, but they are mostly esoteric.
flipcoder wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 7:52 amAs far as feedback, I prefer more condensed formatting like cheat sheets, with less spacing between elements on the page. This makes it a bit more friendly to have with you for reference and for printing. That's the way we'll probably do ours, but I'm not sure if everyone would agree with me on that.
You may want to consider making the documents editable. That is why all of the documents I have released are under the Creative Commons Zero license, so anyone is free to modify them to suit their needs. This freed up my time early on to develop the tritone layout further and write more documents. Now two more are under review and another one is on the way.
I've released a rough draft of my layout cheat sheets in the midimech thread which should show the type of cheat sheet format I was imagining. It's fairly dense so it can cover quite a bit in a small amount of space. It's a LaTeX file and I have included a script to generate images and pdfs. Thanks for the suggestion on licensing. I decided to go with CC0 Attribution.

flipcoder wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:44 am I've released a rough draft of my layout cheat sheets in the midimech thread which should show the type of cheat sheet format I was imagining. It's fairly dense so it can cover quite a bit in a small amount of space. It's a LaTeX file and I have included a script to generate images and pdfs. Thanks for the suggestion on licensing. I decided to go with CC0 Attribution.
There is no such thing as CC0 Attribution. From the Creative Commons Wiki:
Does CC0 require others who use my work to give me attribution?

No, and that's a big difference between CC0 and our licenses. Unlike our licenses, there are no conditions contained in CC0. Just like anything in the public domain, it will be possible for others to use or adapt it however they wish without attribution. However, this does not mean that you cannot request attribution in accordance with community or professional norms and standards.
Only CC0 is considered acceptable for software code. See Can I apply a Creative Commons license to software? and Why is CC BY-SA discouraged for code? for more details. If you want to use a copyleft license, as implied by your repository, I suggest using the GNU General Public License, version 3 or later.

CC-BY is what I meant. That's what is written in the readme. It's just the latex document, not a software project.

Has anybody posted any impressive performances playing with the tritone layout? I've seen ton with the standard 4ths tuning, but I don't think I've seen any performances posted with this layout.

drake-n wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 2:43 pm Has anybody posted any impressive performances playing with the tritone layout? I've seen ton with the standard 4ths tuning, but I don't think I've seen any performances posted with this layout.
Define "impressive".

I have seen a handful of performances with the tritone layout on YouTube proxied with Invidious.

FranklyFlawless wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 9:14 am
drake-n wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 2:43 pm Has anybody posted any impressive performances playing with the tritone layout? I've seen ton with the standard 4ths tuning, but I don't think I've seen any performances posted with this layout.
Define "impressive".

I have seen a handful of performances with the tritone layout on YouTube proxied with Invidious.
I just meant some song performance, as I think I've only seen a video of someone demoing scales with the layout. I didn't need to include the word impressive.

drake-n wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 7:22 pm I just meant some song performance, as I think I've only seen a video of someone demoing scales with the layout. I didn't need to include the word impressive.
Sure, Stefan has a few of those on their YouTube channel.

Return to “Roger Linn Design”