SOFTUBE Bus Processor

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Are you talking about SSL or Softube? Which ones do you consider to be more glue?

I know it's a matter of taste, but I just never like Softube's saturation.
Anyway too many choices of SSL bus comps, Softube has released it too late

Uncle E wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 5:02 am Are you talking about SSL or Softube? Which ones do you consider to be more glue?
SSL in general. Softube made a good job with this one with all those additions. Tempo sync release! I guess now everybody will be copying this feature!

I mean SSL type compression.. Why it is described as a "glue" compression? I don't hear anything gluing here. Snappy and pumping, this how I can describe it. It just doesn't "breath" and makes the sound small and compact. I mean, 1176 would glue the things way better than this one.
Talking about mixing electronic music here, not acoustic.
Last edited by Igro on Sun Apr 02, 2023 12:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sure, that’s valid. Fairchild and Vari-MU type compressors arguably have more glue. When I used hardware SSL’s on electronic music, I found that they made mixes upfront and in your face. They made everything sound money. Many plugins can do that now but nothing did it as well as the hardware 10 years ago.

Igro wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 6:15 am
Uncle E wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 5:02 am Are you talking about SSL or Softube? Which ones do you consider to be more glue?
SSL in general. Softube made a good job with this one with all those additions. Tempo sync release! I guess now everybody will be copying this feature!
Actually Waves H-Comp has tempo sync release

4damind wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 12:19 pm Compared it to the bx_townhouse...
At first it seemed to me that the Softube was a bit louder. Then I did a test in MetricAB with the matching function and there was only a difference of -0.3 dB :o So maybe it's the nature of the added harmonic overtones that make it seem a bit louder/open.

Here are the audio examples I tested it with (it's a song I'm working on) and both uncompressed as WAV. The distortion or other stereo effects from the compressor are deactivated, I only wanted to test the compressor.
The Softube sounds a bit more open and a bit louder to me.
Maybe I'll change my mind... but at the moment I would say: Super compressor with interesting features, but also nothing that I don't already have.

Ines Little Ark - Softube
Ines Little Ark - Townhouse
Ines Little Ark - SPL Iron (MS)
Thanks for doing this. My Townhouse sounds fine, I think staying with that is the right choice for me.

Igro wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 4:53 am I'm wondering that SSL type compression is described as a "glue". In my opinion, it has the less "glueing" effect than some other analog counterparts.. Sounds like more of a marketing bs.
Glue is a universal term used for stereo bus compression. It doesn't have to be SSL even an API can do the glue. I think the SSL was just really popular on records from the early 80's and onwards.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

v1o wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:47 am
Igro wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 4:53 am I'm wondering that SSL type compression is described as a "glue". In my opinion, it has the less "glueing" effect than some other analog counterparts.. Sounds like more of a marketing bs.
Glue is a universal term used for stereo bus compression. It doesn't have to be SSL even an API can do the glue. I think the SSL was just really popular on records from the early 80's and onwards.
I think of glue as (and often see it mentioned as) more of a general effect where processing multiple sounds together appears to glue the sounds together. Compression is one of the most common and best ways to do this, but lots of effects can glue sounds together. Saturation is one of the other main tools for it (which is related to compression, but saturating to add harmonics without compressing the dynamics can still add glue), also reverb, and actually any form of bus processing can have a glueing effect to my ears, even though its sometimes really subtle. What you are referring to, I'd call 'glue compression' not 'glue'

Is 'glue' the new 'phat'? The current subjectively described term argued over in the forum..

no, glue is not a fat, it's usually collagen.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

VitaminD wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 3:09 pm Is 'glue' the new 'phat'? The current subjectively described term argued over in the forum..
phat isn't subjective, it specifically means parallel multi-band distortion

j wazza wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 4:42 pm phat isn't subjective, it specifically means parallel multi-band distortion
Haha! You had me going for a second there.

Fornicras wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:13 pm
aMUSEd wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:02 pm
Fornicras wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:58 pm Does the plugin has scalable UI? Other softube plugins I tried are tiny af and unusable on 4k screen with no UI scale option. (Tape and Weiss EQ)
I don't have the Weiss but all the Softube plugins I have are fully scalable including Tape (just drag right hand bottom corner)

Looking at this image of the Weiss it looks like it is also scalable the same way
Oh sorry, yeah, Weiss has scaled UI but it looks so bad and blurry. Tape doesn't have any of that though.
All softube plugins scale. If yours doesn’t you either haven’t updated or perhaps aren’t using the AU or VST3 versions. This was added more than a year ago. I’m running Weiss on a 5k and it’s not blurred so something is off on your system. However I’ll give you that the Weiss options doesn’t scale with the same ratio so they can appear tiny.

It's currently on sale at Plugin Boutique
Use Coupon – PBNL44
to get it for 89 USD
Valid until 30th September (23:59 PST)

USD 68.00 with Coupon: "EXTRABLACK"

Return to “Effects”