Ableton Live 11.3 Beta is out

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

mxbf wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 10:27 pm the worst feature of Ableton really is the audio clip editing.

I really really do hope they add the features that Bitwig has for audio clip editing, that would be huge. it seems like such a basic feature to not have in this, on the 11th iteration...

no, I don't want to open Audacity that doesn't have a beat grid or features. nobody does. in Bitwig you can just do whatever you want inside of the audio clip itself, easily bounce down into a new clip, and go wild. hard to go back to Ableton in that respect.
I'm with you on this one. Live is amazing in many ways, but it is so behind on really basic stuff, that it's just no fun to use anymore. It's less painful for me to manually migrate an existing project over to Bitwig, to finish it off, than it is to put up with the broken PDC and Fisher Price clip editing in Live. Also I've become very accustom to the Hybrid Tracks workflow in Bitwig, to keep my projects lean and tidy, so much so working with discrete audio and MIDI channels in Live, feels like a huge tumble backwards.

I really hope they can improve the fundamentals in Live 12, to bring it line with other DAWs and personally I won't be opening my wallet for Ableton until they do so. It's 2023 we should be able to edit clips independently and in addition to, audio events and be able to add multiple fades etc.
Always Read the Manual!

PieBerger wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 10:39 am I really really do hope they add the features that Bitwig has for audio clip editing, that would be huge. it seems like such a basic feature to not have in this, on the 11th iteration...
Apparently (I read) back when Bitwig fist came up that they left Ableton and had to reinvent the framework/methodology to achieve this (all of Bitwig is fundamentally different to Live with its 'container' modular based approach to storing audio). I think if this was possible in Live (without breaking backwards compatibility) it would have existed by now as it was the number one feature request (in clip editing) for about a decade!
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:19 am
PieBerger wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 10:39 am I really really do hope they add the features that Bitwig has for audio clip editing, that would be huge. it seems like such a basic feature to not have in this, on the 11th iteration...
Apparently (I read) back when Bitwig fist came up that they left Ableton and had to reinvent the framework/methodology to achieve this (all of Bitwig is fundamentally different to Live with its 'container' modular based approach to storing audio). I think if this was possible in Live (without breaking backwards compatibility) it would have existed by now as it was the number one feature request (in clip editing) for about a decade!
Makes sense, guess I'll be stuck with v11 forever then :borg:
Always Read the Manual!

Two native features i'd like, without relying on sometimes clunky m4l:
_ Send midi cc directly from the group knobs to the devices inside the rack.
Native ccmap8 of sorts for arrangement view. Not a fan of clip automation only.
_ Automate/morph macrovariations changes. (or is there a way to automate that already?)

I'm looking forward to that drift synth. The more quality stock plugins, the better.
I hope its not a cpu hog, so it could fill the gap beetween operator and wavetable.
The synth to reach for quick sounds.
Last edited by Daru925 on Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SLiC wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 10:24 am Getting close...
Finally getting rid of the pink app icon! Bliss.... 8)
void main(dumb)

I really like that the beta is installed next to the regular live 11.2 version. Also how stable is 11.3 beta now? Anyone been using it on a daily/regular basis?

RugerioDelStereo wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:42 pm I really like that the beta is installed next to the regular live 11.2 version. Also how stable is 11.3 beta now? Anyone been using it on a daily/regular basis?
I have. Since the first beta came out, actually. It was stable from the get-go. You get a warning message when saving, that you should not save over a file made with the stable version, so I didn't...
void main(dumb)

Daru925 wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 6:01 pm
I'm looking forward to that drift synth. The more quality stock plugins, the better.
I hope its not a cpu hog,
It is not :) It uses less than Wavetable. On average on my PC, it uses about 6-7% while Wavetable is about 10%.

I think it is a good replacement for Analog. The syntheses are now almost complete (minus the additive). Anyway, Drift would make at least 70% of my sounds when I use Live. It is a great synth :)

EnGee wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 8:52 pm It is not :) It uses less than Wavetable. On average on my PC, it uses about 6-7% while Wavetable is about 10%.

I think it is a good replacement for Analog. The syntheses are now almost complete (minus the additive). Anyway, Drift would make at least 70% of my sounds when I use Live. It is a great synth :)
Good to hear!

Waiting for Live 12 here.. :D
Soft Knees - Live 12, Diva, Omnisphere, Slate Digital VSX, TDR, Kush Audio, U-He, PA, Valhalla, Fuse, Pulsar, NI, OekSound etc. on Win11Pro R7950X & RME AiO Pro
https://www.youtube.com/@softknees/videos Music & Demoscene

andy-cytomic wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 1:22 am I didn't work on Drift at all, but I have licensed filters to Ableton for use in their products. Filter "type II" is the MS2 SD 4 pole filter (a more efficient version that still sounds very close to the MS2 MD filter which appears in other devices labeled MS2). The "type I" filter is not by me, but sounds good. From having a listen it's a 2 pole, most likely a Sallen Key filter like the MS2, but with only a single non-linearity on the resonance, and no filter drive or other non-linearities in the filter core, but a great low cpu option. For comparison the MS2 MD 2 pole contains 6 non-linearities (1 input, 4 filter core, 1 resonance), and the 4 pole is 2 x 2 pole, so contains 12 non-linearities total. The MS2 SD has 3 non-linearities (1 input, 2 filter core, and 1 resonance), so the 4 pole will have 6 non-linearities.

One of the great features of Drift is that it is efficient so you can run lots of voices. It supports SIMD processing of 4 mono (f32x4) filters at once (finally!). I'm pretty sure the rest of the synth engine is also SIMD f32x4 as well, which is why it is so efficient and you get multiples of 4 for the voice count when in poly mode - great work Ableton!

The work I delivered a while back includes a bunch of stuff I've yet to see in any alpha or beta yet, so fingers crossed it will be added at some stage. The folks at Ableton are keeping busy, this stuff takes time.
I had to google non-linearities in DSP to try to understand what you're talking about and realized, after not making it past the first paragraph of the wikipedia article (without needing to further google -- and still not fully understanding anything), why I don't make filters for a living.

SIMD was a bit more digestible, but even the wikipedia article makes a point (more than once) how much more efficient this approach is, but also how labor intensive it is.

So on that note: Thanks for doing all the heavy lifting and getting us some nice sounding filters! (hopefully you made Ableton's devs a nice library they can tap into for everything in their applications)

no_barcode wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 7:18 pm I had to google non-linearities in DSP to try to understand what you're talking about and realized, after not making it past the first paragraph of the wikipedia article (without needing to further google -- and still not fully understanding anything), why I don't make filters for a living.

SIMD was a bit more digestible, but even the wikipedia article makes a point (more than once) how much more efficient this approach is, but also how labor intensive it is.

So on that note: Thanks for doing all the heavy lifting and getting us some nice sounding filters! (hopefully you made Ableton's devs a nice library they can tap into for everything in their applications)
Yeah, sorry for the jargon, hopefully this will help a little:

A non-linearity is just something that adds drive to the signal, so if a sine wave goes in (one frequency) then multiple, usually harmonic, frequencies come out. Analog synth filters usually have lots non-linearities in them, in The Drop there is an HD (high detail) mode which models these with great detail, but this takes CPU. Less detail, and fewer non-linearities modelled gives a less analog sounding filter, but one that takes less CPU to process, which is good for a synth with lots of polyphony!

SIMD here is just a way to get four (polyphonic) filters for the cost of just over one non-SIMD filter :)
The Glue, The Drop - www.cytomic.com

You-huu? Live 11.3? where are you, i've got Boney M - Painterman and Nightflight to Venus waiting for you, you-huu? ;)

No one will accuse Ableton of rushing betas out! They are definitely very toughly tested before they are released....
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

It’s annoying I keep seeing videos of people playing the new synth on Yourube and thinking it must be out, but it’s not

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”