Synth overload?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Back to the topic of synth overload guys OR i am bringing out the BAN hammer soon.
aliasing plugin owner
:?

martiu wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 6:25 pm Back to the topic of synth overload guys OR i am bringing out the BAN hammer soon.
for real this thread is turned into a huge cricle jerk :party:
Techno and other adjacent genres
Horse On The Third Floor : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyL394 ... n4RdaCYHjA

Shabdahbriah wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 1:36 pm
Sawtooth Fairy wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 9:06 pm Music is not a purpose in itself, after all.
Yeeeah... it's really a bummer that music can't transport anyone to a different 'time', or 'space', or 'sphere' of inspiration beyond their perceived boundaries, or self-imposed limitations. That it can't evoke a 'memory', or prompt, or compel anyone to smile, or cry, feel Joy, or peace, or to dance. What a pity.
Are you talking to me? I didn't say anything like that, so don't put words into my mouth.

BONES wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 7:28 am
Sawtooth Fairy wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 9:06 pmThe quality of music IS the appeal of music. Music that doesn't appeal to me, has no quality in my view.
If that's true, your appreciation of music is incredibly shallow. There are so many aspects of a finished song to be assessed and appreciated that whether or not it appeals to you has no bearing on its worth as a piece of art (or commercial product). If you can't appreciate something simply for what it is, there is something wrong with you and to put yourself at the centre of everything like that is so childish, so immature, that it makes me wonder if you have to ask your mum before you're allowed to use the computer.
Music is not a purpose in itself, after all.
Of course it is. If you don't get any pleasure simply from possessing music then, again, your appreciation of the artform is disgustingly shallow.
I don't agree. If a song sounds ugly to me, it has no worth to me, and it certainly is no piece of art in my view.

It's like with food. If I hate pizza, it has no worth to me. And I can't confirm that it is great food or whatever others claim. I cannot appreciate anything about pizza if I don't like the way it tastes.

To the contrary, to me people are shallow that like any music. I am very specific in terms of genres, and even within those few genres any song must have something special, else it is a waste of time.

Loophole01 wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 7:22 pm Hi everyone,

Is it generally advised to work with 1 or few synth instruments or is the general sentiment to have as many synths as possible to be able to produce the broadest amount of sounds etc?

Curious on others' experience!
i think, the more synths one has the less he knows any of em. one exception of my rule i consider are very experienced synthionados who once learnt from one synth or two or three, mostly hardware i guess. i myself am one of the too many synths noobs who is just touching the surface of all the synths. not something im very proud of or lucky about. just a lazy preset editor with exceptionally making own presets from scratch. its a shame ^^

What do you need to know? They all work pretty much the same, there's no secret to any of it. The wavetable oscillator in Pigments is much the same as it is in Serum or DUNE or Spire or any other synth with a wavetable oscillator. There may be a few quirks but it's no harder to adapt to than it is to get out of your car and drive someone else's. The principles are the same, you just have to learn where the controls are, which takes no time at all.

The last big synth purchase I made was Spire and it took me literally minutes to start working it into a couple of songs I was working on at the time. After I'd spent a couple of hours with it, I put together a whole song using just Spire. There was no learning curve, beyond finding out where everything was on the interface, which takes no time at all.
Sawtooth Fairy wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 8:18 pmIf a song sounds ugly to me, it has no worth to me
Of course, it's the same for me, but that doesn't preclude me from being impressed by a great arrangement, a clever hook, excellent production values, a terrific vocal performance or any of a dozen other aspects of a song that might be done well or just be a bit interesting.
It's like with food. If I hate pizza, it has no worth to me.
Pizza is a great example because pizza can be pretty much anything. You can have any of half-a-dozen different bases, tomato sauce or BBQ sauce or white sauce and any toppings you can think of. The only consistent ingredient is cheese and you can have as much or as little of that as you like. If you can't find a pizza you're happy to eat, it's because you aren't trying.

I don't like Thai food but that doesn't stop me eating it if that's where my friends want to have dinner. I can always find something on the menu to enjoy, even though I would never choose to eat Thai myself. And I mean never.
To the contrary, to me people are shallow that like any music.
Again, I am the same but that still doesn't stop me appreciating lots of aspects of any music at all, just as the fact I like a particular song doesn't stop me from being critical of poor production or some aspect of the arrangement that doesn't work as well as it could. And if you can do one, you can do the other.
I am very specific in terms of genres, and even within those few genres any song must have something special, else it is a waste of time.
I hate genres, they make it so much harder to find good music. Within dance music they are just a joke that pretty much makes it impossible to take any EDM seriously.

Anything beyond broad categories like Rock, Country, Dance or Pop does more harm than good in my eyes. e.g. I can safely say I don't like Reggae but there are several rock bands I absolutely love that have a very strong Reggae influence in their music. It's the blending of genres, the will to move beyond strict genre definitions, that makes them stand out from the crowd and gives them an edge.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 12:29 am
I don't like Reggae
i love it
:singer:

vurt wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 2:19 am
I don't like Reggae
i love it
I don’t like cricket.
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

I don't like Reggae
i love it
Bloody Tourists.
Great album.

revvy wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 1:43 pm Some music is constructed. Artificially.
https://techcrunch.com/2023/05/10/googl ... ai-public/

revvy wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 2:27 am
I don't like Reggae
i love it
I don’t like cricket.
:lol:
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

I don't like Reggae
i love it
I don’t like cricket.
me neither.

vurt wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 3:17 am
I don't like Reggae
i love it
I don’t like cricket.
me neither.
:hihi: :tu:

I can’t really say one way or another, because I’ve never been very interested it team sports. The closest I get is football (soccer, to my fellow citizens of the U.S.A.) That’s probably the only team sport that I bother to watch, and not religiously. 😉
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

I don't like Reggae
i love it
I don’t like cricket.
me neither.
It's not bad when sauteed in butter, and dipped in maple syrup. Crunchy on the outside,
creamy on the inside, when prepared skillfully. A bit like banjo music in that regard.

glokraw wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 9:17 am
I don't like Reggae
i love it
I don’t like cricket.
me neither.
It's not bad when sauteed in butter, and dipped in maple syrup. Crunchy on the outside,
creamy on the inside, when prepared skillfully. A bit like banjo music in that regard.
:lol:

Return to “Instruments”