Rob Papen Bit 2.0 released

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I like Bit but surprised RP is still not fully supporting high DPI retina displays.

Rob Papen synths are generally very good synths and the cpu usage has never been an issue for me.

In a nutshell Rob Papen synths are great sounding, have really really excellent (if not the best) presets and are generally feature richs. And certainly the worst UI of the market (if you look only at good synths of course).

In terms of offers, the best synths of their range are:
Predator 3: all arround substrative synth with a ton of really excellent presets. It has the same usage for me than pigments in terms of sound. Pigments is way better to play with the sound but I find Predator presets better sounding in general.

Go 2: like the little brother of Predator 3. Ui is a bit better.

Subboombass 2: absolute beast for bass (and I do have a lot of synths for bass). Generally I go for phase plant oe Serum for growling bass. Obsession or the legend for old school soft bass. For all the rest it is subboombass. It sounds absolutely crazy.

Punch 2: punch 2 is a top top drum machine. I also own Reason/Kong, UVI drum designer and many others, yet I think Punch 2 is the most powerful. It comes with a lot of presets and the drum synths are excellent.

All the others synths are ok for what I have seen but I don't use them regularly. These 4 are part of my A-list, daily drivers.

4 remarks:
1 - try JoMal presets, I think it is my favorite sound designer of the industry
2 - look at explorer 8 offer, it is very cost efficient.
3 - As a company, Rob Papen is good and support has always been efficient and reactive with me.
4 - they have also FX, they sounds OK but I still prefere using kilohearts, output and fabfilter ones...

db3 wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 6:44 pm I like Bit but surprised RP is still not fully supporting high DPI retina displays.
It is one of the reason I moved away from Windows 11, I couldn't get the Rob Papen synths to look ok on my 4k screen (and I think it is the fault of RP synths, not windows).
I am in 3k on macOS and it is working perfectly but I can't tell for sure if it is because dpi is a bit less or because OS is better supported.

F me that’s an ugly GUI. It looks like it was designed when windows XP was still in beta.

Korg Supporter wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 2:37 pm
zerocrossing wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 1:33 pm Has the audio rate modulation been improved? Last time I tried a demo, doing something like modulating the filter with an oscillator sounded pretty terrible, compared to something like Legend, OB-E, Repro, etc. Seemed like the frequency of modulation update wasn’t high enough. I was hoping they fixed that, as the rest of the synth looks pretty good to me, but I use that thing quite a bit. (Pun intended)
If you are talking about using the oscillator outputs as mod sources, then they still sound terrible most of the time. However, the new PM, FM, and Ringmod options for osc 2 sound nice!
Ah, OK. I’ll pass on it then. I’ve got so many great analogs and analog emulations as it is, if I’m going to get another one, it had better act like an analog all the time.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

masterhiggins wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:53 am F me that’s an ugly GUI. It looks like it was designed when windows XP was still in beta.
Don’t get me started on the minimoog. looks like it was designed in the 70s.

BIT => Back In Time.

It's supposed to look vintage, or back from "then"...

If you take synapse obsession, it looks Vintage AND pretty.

not saying i love the look, but seems a BIT of an over-reaction here. after all, it is a functional one page interface. and, contrary to what some here assert, it doesn't cause eye bleed.

given that, i can quickly move on to how it actually sounds.

JamminFool wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:22 am not saying i love the look, but seems a BIT of an over-reaction here. after all, it is a functional one page interface. and, contrary to what some here assert, it doesn't cause eye bleed.

I think it's more RP plugins as a whole, BIT isn't as bad as some, but they do seem to have a tendency with each version to simply cram more into the existing interface rather than creating something that incorporates the new elements better functionally and aesthetically. I thought Predator 1 and Blue 1 were Ok as interfaces go, but getting to version 3 they have become very cluttered and our concern is that BIT is heading in the same direction. Yes it does sound nice - they all do.

JamminFool wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:22 am not saying i love the look, but seems a BIT of an over-reaction here. after all, it is a functional one page interface. and, contrary to what some here assert, it doesn't cause eye bleed.

To me it isn't an overreaction but I find it very normal that we don't all agree. It is a question of taste.... As much as I like Rob papen products, i really find usage of these products is a bit limited in my workflow because of that.

I also fully understand that for you it is fine 🙂.

So your feedback is valuable to counter balance mine hehe.

all good, folks. i (also) was just trying to balance things out a BIT (sorry for bad puns, can't help myself).

JamminFool wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 5:19 am BIT => Back In Time.

I’ve got no real issue with the look, but it clearly looks like something that was made during a time I when no one was making analog synths. :shrug: If someone asked me to design a UI for a synth that was supposed to sound “vintage” (let’s assume this means 70s-80s), I wouldn’t come up with that UI in a 100 years.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

zerocrossing wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 2:12 pm

[...] I wouldn’t come up with that UI in a 100 years.
not sure i would have either. :hihi:

zerocrossing wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 2:12 pm

I’ve got no real issue with the look, but it clearly looks like something that was made during a time I when no one was making analog synths. :shrug: If someone asked me to design a UI for a synth that was supposed to sound “vintage” (let’s assume this means 70s-80s), I wouldn’t come up with that UI in a 100 years.
It's like an analog SurgeXT. :wink:

Return to “Instruments”