Logic Pro on iPad... ?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

sQeetz wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 10:12 am
:phones: but I always have it with me for dozens of other reason/uses so may (such as browsing KVR on the move!) as well bash out a tune as well :-)
That's what I have the MacBook for now. My main machine is at home and Imade hard links on both which are constantly iCloud connected. If I make a change on the macBook, the Mac at home has it, too.
Totally get it of you are in the MAC world, all my computers are Windows....iPad will be my fist and only taste of Logic! I have a very good DELL XPS laptop but I just associate it with work so am always happy to turn it off..iPad lives on my bedside table and gets a lot of use!

I suspect there are a lot of Windows users with iPads who may be seeing Logic (and FCP) for the first time. Windows is by far the most used 'Computer' platforms, but iOS is the most used tablet platform, so....
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 10:30 am I suspect there are a lot of Windows users with iPads who may be seeing Logic (and FCP) for the first time.
Most probably...
All I was trying to say, is that an iPad experience isn't all you would hope to be. Been there done that....
MacMini M2 Pro . 32GB . 2TB . . Renoise……Reason 12……Live 12 Push 2

sQeetz wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 10:43 am
SLiC wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 10:30 am I suspect there are a lot of Windows users with iPads who may be seeing Logic (and FCP) for the first time.
Most probably...
All I was trying to say, is that an iPad experience isn't all you would hope to be. Been there done that....
Well, they sold 430 Million of them so far so that's potential quiet a few new logic users! :wink:

The vast majority of Apples user base is now on iOS it seems (the majority iphones) - 2 Billion active installs with apple and only 100 Million of those MAC OS! If I was Apple I would be pushing my software to the iOS user base as well!
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 8:04 am I never have my iPad plugged in to anything, it just charges when I sleep, that’s it. Most of the time I just make music with it when travelling with my Apple pro wireless headphones…slight latency but I’m normally programming beats and sequences rather than olaying in Live anyway…it definitely won’t replace my (work) laptop, but there are many places that I don’t want to use a laptop. I can make calls on my laptop, but I still have a iphone!
The opposite here:
I have an iPad 2 (2012?) and its battery life is still near 100%. :borg:
-> it never leaves its (Alesis) dock, I just use it like it's a touchscreen hardware synth.

A few years ago, I got an iPad 2018 as a birthday present. It'll be my last one ever. I just hate how Apple OS updates kill apps that aren't updated anymore.

machinesworking wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 5:14 am So, some Apple developer support guy telling Markus that AUv2 is deprecated, then Apple releasing Logic on the iPadl, that can host AUv3, I think it's pretty obvious the way this is going, at some point AUv3 will be the standard, and that point is coming quickly I would bet.

I get it, everyones trying to make money, but really CLAP came way too late, AUv3 type support will be necessary soon, unless all the other DAWs are going to let Logic be the only iPad DAW of merit.
AUv3 will be necessary for who? AU doesn't even work on Windows.

AUv3 has been the standard for a while on iOS. It is of no real consequence anywhere else.

sQeetz wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 7:27 am On the topic of Logic on iPad:
I bought an iPad Pro with an M1 CPU for making music on the run... at least that was the plan. Bought AUM, Cubasis... you name it. At the end of the day one has to have it plugged in to really be able to use it as a music making unit. I had a USB C adapter hooked up to it and sat on my bed with all that stuff plugged into it and the workflow of the apps available was just too cumbersome. Why not just use the laptop instead? So I sold the damn thing.
My experience is somewhat similar... with the exception that Borderlands is freakin awesome. I have no interest in using the iPad as a DAW. (File management is just too annoying on iOS). My iPad Pro is now a Borderlands hardware synth and that works well.

pdxindy wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 2:32 pm My iPad Pro is now a Borderlands hardware synth and that works well.
Why a Pro for that? For the bigger screen?
Do you use an audio interface or something else to keep it powered? (me, I don't like wearing out the battery when I'm using it in a home studio)
I'm still looking for an IO Dock II alternative (really hard to find 2nd hand) for my iPad 2018.

T-CM11 wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 3:21 pm Why a Pro for that? For the bigger screen?
Pro's don't necessarily have the bigger screen, both screen sizes are an option. There isn't a huge difference between the Pro and the Air now.

SLiC wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 3:28 pm
T-CM11 wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 3:21 pm Why a Pro for that? For the bigger screen?
Pro's don't necessarily have the bigger screen, both screen sizes are an option. There isn't a huge difference between the Pro and the Air now.
Hence my question :wink:

T-CM11 wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 3:21 pm
pdxindy wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 2:32 pm My iPad Pro is now a Borderlands hardware synth and that works well.
Why a Pro for that? For the bigger screen?
Yup... I like the 12.9" screen!

T-CM11 wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 3:37 pm
SLiC wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 3:28 pm
Hence my question :wink:
The time I had one, I decided to get the Pro because it had the M1 chip and because of the 120 Hz Pro motion screen. And the quad speaker setup....) Don't know if today this criteria would still be relevant.

sQeetz wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 3:51 pm The time I had one, I decided to get the Pro because it had the M1 chip and because of the 120 Hz Pro motion screen. And the quad speaker setup....) Don't know if today this criteria would still be relevant.
That is no longer relevant... cause the Pro now has the M2 chip :hihi:

pdxindy wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 3:56 pm That is no longer relevant... cause the Pro now has the M2 chip :hihi:
Everything the body needs...

iPhones are plenty powerful. Imagine, no need to have a PC or Laptop. Just plug in your phone to a dock, with the screen and peripherals, and voila! "Mac Mini" for comfortable office work, and Logic, and stuff.
We have CarPlay, OS within OS. Logic on iPad is a small step in this direction, I think.

Serhii Kot wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 4:19 pm iPhones are plenty powerful. Imagine, no need to have a PC or Laptop. Just plug in your phone to a dock, with the screen and peripherals, and voila! "Mac Mini" for comfortable office work, and Logic, and stuff.
We have CarPlay, OS within OS. Logic on iPad is a small step in this direction, I think.
pretty sure that's apple's vision of the future. super powerful tablet.. dock it for work/creatives and it's like any computer.. except sandboxed to hell and back and all app purchases go thru the app store. all the guts of the OS are well hidden. devs have to do things apple's way or not at all if they want their stuff to work on the platform.

this is probably some time away though.. further in the future but not that far.. ya know..

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”