Utilize ChatGPT's web browsing plugin to chat with Bitwig's manual

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Today ChatGPT's plugins had been activated for my account. I tried if the new web browsing plugin could enable me to chat with Bitwig's manual and it's actually working.
Prompt: Please explain how to use a Bitwig operator to add probability to note length based on the manual at https://www.bitwig.com/userguide/latest ... ig_studio/

Answer:
In Bitwig, you can use the Chance operator to add an element of randomness to your musical events, including note lengths. The Chance operator determines the probability that an event will occur during a given play cycle.

Here's how you can use it:

1. **Set the Chance Parameter:** The Chance operator only has a single parameter, which represents the probability that an event will play. For example, if an event's Chance value is set to `50 %` and the clip plays four times, the event is most likely to play two of the times and to not play the other two times.

2. **Visualize Chance:** Chance is visualized on each event like the face of a die (dice). The number of dots or spots shown represents the current setting:
- 5 dots - `80 %` to almost `100 %`
- 4 dots - `60 %` to almost `80 %`
- 3 dots - `40 %` to almost `60 %`
- 2 dots - `20 %` to almost `40 %`
- 1 dot - `0 %` to almost `20 %`

3. **Understand Chance Behavior:** The Chance operator is random by nature. So other than its default value (a neutral `100 %`, meaning always) or a setting of `0 %` (read: never), every other value is perfectly unpredictable for any single moment.

4. **Chance and Seed Parameter:** The behavior of the Chance operator is determined by the clip's Seed parameter. This makes its behavior identical to expression Spread.

5. **Playback Visualization:** If you're only using the Chance Operator on an event, you will see at the start of each clip cycle whether that event will play or not. For notes, a full stroke around the note shows that it will play this time. For audio events, a normal, bright color stripe in the audio event header indicates it will trigger. However, not all Operators produce playback visualization. So when multiple Operators are in use, you may see the visualization for a positive Chance outcome, but the event might not trigger for other reasons【9†source】.

Please note that the Chance operator does not directly change the note length. It changes the probability of a note or audio event being played. If you want to change the length of the notes based on some probabilistic rules, you would need to use a combination of operators and possibly some scripting to achieve that. The Chance operator can be part of this setup by determining whether a note should be played or not based on its set chance.
The answer is actually really good. I tried to fool ChatGPT by asking for modifying note lengths and it understood that it is not possible. I don't know if ChatGPT is right that it could be done by scripting, though. Amazing. I have to dive deeper into this.

krazzmann wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 10:34 pm The answer is actually really good.
Really? It's pretty shit if you ask me.
I tried to fool ChatGPT by asking for modifying note lengths and it understood that it is not possible.
Except right in the first sentence it confidently tells you that it is, using operators, then later contradicts itself, but then again refers to operators and "possibly scripting" (LOL).

Not once does it mention the Note Length device.

The answer seems totally useless to me, what I find amazing with people in general and ChatGPT is that just because it can string some words together that make some sense people then think it actually knows what it is talking about.
Bitwig, against the constitution.

Last edited by mevla on Sun May 21, 2023 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dionysos wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 7:18 am
krazzmann wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 10:34 pm The answer is actually really good.
Really? It's pretty shit if you ask me.
I tried to fool ChatGPT by asking for modifying note lengths and it understood that it is not possible.
Except right in the first sentence it confidently tells you that it is, using operators, then later contradicts itself, but then again refers to operators and "possibly scripting" (LOL).

Not once does it mention the Note Length device.
Exactly... (the Note Length device could use some improvement)

You must take into account that ChatGPT‘s browsing model does not read the whole manual. It read the toc and then ‘surfed‘ to the operators page and then created a summary of the probability features of operators. It doesn’t know about devices and the note length device because it didn’t read the devices section. Absolutely no wonder that it didn’t come up with it.

Guys, if you don’t find this useful or at least interesting, then just don’t use it. Make some music and don’t worry. Peace.

krazzmann wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 4:38 pm
Guys, if you don’t find this useful
It was incorrect info and did not actually address your initial question. So it was anti-useful cause it wasted time.

pdxindy wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 4:43 pm It was incorrect info and did not actually address your initial question. So it was anti-useful cause it wasted time.
Moreover it prevented one more opportunity to develop skills. One more.

pdxindy wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 4:43 pm
It was incorrect info and did not actually address your initial question. So it was anti-useful cause it wasted time.
I had no question. I showed how you can utilize ChatGPT to extract information from Bitwig's online manual. The question in my post is part of an interaction with ChatGPT - is that not clear to you? Was the thread's title misleading in any way: "Utilize ChatGPT's web browsing plugin to chat with Bitwig's manual" I thought the title of my thread is quite clear. If not, how should I have named it? If you are not interested in using ChatGPT with Bitwig's manual, you shouldn't have read the thread. Please don't blame me for wasting your time if you click on something that isn't interesting for you.

What a bunch of fricking scared crybabies, krazzmann wanted to share a fun experience, let him breathe.

trostiflex wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 8:20 am What a bunch of fricking scared crybabies, krazzmann wanted to share a fun experience, let him breathe.
Thank you. I started to think that it was the wrong idea to post this experiment here.

Could you download the manual and have ChatGPT 4 read the whole thing, then try asking it questions?

Trying to get Bing AI to answer questions about measure theoretic probability and abstract algebra really makes it seem like a stochastic parrot with an absurdly high error rate. It literally told me (not an exact quote) "x = a. So x is a y that is not equal to a". It fosters the illusion that you can "teach" it, since when you correct it it will say, "yes, that's correct, blah blah blah". So you may feel like you're doing a great service to humanity by teaching AI (for example) statistics. But fat chance of it remembering whatever you taught it when you open a new session (IDK if paid ChatGPT has good user-specific memory though).

But sometime in the near future chatbots should be able to answer questions about the manual well. Even multi-modally, with images and optional videos. (AI with Bitwig access could also check that things actually work.) Or with OS integration, or inside Bitwig (even do it for you). It's a great idea.

@Ou_Tis since the paid account features two plugins that make PDFs available to ChatGPT. But the Bitwig manual exceeded the maximum upload size these services allow. I tried that with other PDFs and it really works great. Then it has knowledge of the whole content and probably would have pointed out the Note Length Device. It would be possible to do the same with Python-based software using langchain and the OpenAI API but feeding in such a huge document is quite costly.

krazzmann wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 7:53 am
pdxindy wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 4:43 pm
I had no question. I showed how you can utilize ChatGPT to extract information from Bitwig's online manual. The question in my post is part of an interaction with ChatGPT - is that not clear to you? Was the thread's title misleading in any way: "Utilize ChatGPT's web browsing plugin to chat with Bitwig's manual" I thought the title of my thread is quite clear. If not, how should I have named it? If you are not interested in using ChatGPT with Bitwig's manual, you shouldn't have read the thread. Please don't blame me for wasting your time if you click on something that isn't interesting for you.
You asked ChatGPT a question. ChatGPT answered the question incorrectly then went on to reply a bunch of info unrelated to the question.

I'm not criticizing you or your effort to test ChatGPT. It's an interesting experiment. I'm only commenting on the performance of ChatGPT. In the example you gave, it performed poorly. My comment about wasting time, was not directed at you or the posting of this thread. I was referring to all the extraneous info in the ChatGPT reply.

IMO, a useful reply from ChatGPT would have been "Bitwig's Operators cannot affect note length". Done. Accurate and efficient.

https://bard.google.com/
"Please explain how to use a Bitwig operator to add probability to note length based on the manual at https://www.bitwig.com/userguide/latest ... ig_studio/
View other drafts"

Sure. Here are the steps on how to use a Bitwig operator to add probability to note length:

Open Bitwig Studio and create a new project.
Create a new MIDI clip and enter some notes.
Click on the "Operators" button in the toolbar.
Click on the "Chance" operator and drag it onto the MIDI clip.
Adjust the "Chance" parameter to set the probability of each note being played.
Play the MIDI clip to hear the results.

Here are some additional details about the steps above:

The "Operators" button is located in the toolbar at the top of the Bitwig Studio window.
The "Chance" operator is one of the many operators that are available in Bitwig Studio. Operators can be used to add randomisation, probability, and more flexible programming to sequenced note and audio events.
The "Chance" parameter is used to set the probability of each note being played. The higher the value, the more likely the note is to be played.
When you play the MIDI clip, the notes will be played with the probability that you set for them. For example, if you set the "Chance" parameter to 50%, then each note will have a 50% chance of being played.

Here are some examples of how you can use the "Chance" operator to add probability to note length:

You can use the "Chance" operator to create a more lively and unpredictable sequence. For example, you could set the "Chance" parameter to a low value for some of the notes, so that they are less likely to be played. This will create a more random and unpredictable feel to your sequence.
You can also use the "Chance" operator to create a more rhythmically interesting sequence. For example, you could set the "Chance" parameter to a different value for each note in a bar. This will create a more varied and interesting rhythm.
Finally, you can also use the "Chance" operator to create a more melodically interesting sequence. For example, you could set the "Chance" parameter to a different value for each note in a scale. This will create a more varied and interesting melody.

I hope this helps!

Return to “Bitwig”