cold out here - *climate*

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

untitled X
initially:
is this thing on

{originally} 4 tracks, but that's separating an instance of good old Absynth 5's 3 channels into 3 mix channels. T'other is Sonic Couture Geosonics 2. Oh, and [part of] an audio track from buzby in Iceland, "The Sea Near Grindavik". Which sounds cold.

This is in good shape I think after a week or so. Some things in the world do not work as they once did (VE Pro is not silicon-ready) and I'm having to go lean and mean. The supported-no-more Absynth works very well tyvm.

The origimul is before I orchestrate and ruin it like I did with Initium Finis, but that starts today, barring unforeseen horrors.
Last edited by jancivil on Wed Jul 19, 2023 2:14 am, edited 4 times in total.

NB: this is just a musical climate, it doesn't go anywhere

Nice to hear you. Sorry for your struggles but glad your musical voice is still coming through.
Thanks for sharing!

Hiya

[intermediate WIP file, forgetaboutit]

so, I was kinda managing expectations with 'just a climate'. Sonically it's the typical post- {or late plague} apocalyptic sound world I've done for a while, and an actual composition. It moves like clouds, not like a pedestrian or a motor-driven vehicle do.
Last edited by jancivil on Fri Jul 07, 2023 10:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

To quote King Crimson - "That Which Passes, Passes Like Clouds".

Good to hear that you have re-acquired the "bug" :)

I'm currently listening in "stereo" but with no bass in my left-channel. The monitor died after 13 years of almost daily use. I have to wait 5 weeks for a replacement.

Ignoring my current sonic difficulties, this sounds very good, with strong hints of alien landscapes.

Good work :)

bummer, because it begins with a massive low hz wind from Geosonics 2, all left.

in my additions I'm moving from general doom to terror, with teh screech soprano vox clusters and bends over the suggestive creepazoid alto fx.

this is a surround downmix to stereo. mostly. It's slow going without VE Pro, the workflow plugging things into Cubase is NG.

Sounds amazing on my trusty Sennheiser HD380's.
It's a bright sunny day out but it's nippy in the studio now! The sense of "space" (acoustic space) is very convincing.
You start off in surround?

It's like this: I'm adapting to the machine, which some things take advantage of and some do not. So VSL's Synchron Player and MIR Pro 3D are made to work natively on the SOC architecture. Additionally they work better in the "Rosetta 2" wrapper than others. VE Pro seems to be kaput. So, MIR 3D is equipped with a main microphone which is made to downmix eg., 5.1 to stereo. I'm using a back front (to the conductor's back as it were) of the hall enveloping type of secondary mic and it can be surround, and it doesn't say 'stereo downmix' but I guess it does. Then, Synchron Player plugin has a surround version, The instruments I plug into Cubase that aren't made to do surround can't be put in the MIR Pro server the regular way because Cubase doesn't allow the mismatch. BUT here all I have to do is instantiate FX channels for MIR 3D and send to them (one FX instance puts the one instrument into a venue, as opposed to inline (insert) but inline uses just one instance of the plugin, which connects to its own server.

I started with Absynth, which funnily enough comes with a Surround version so its 3 channels live happily in a venue, the Pernegg Monastery chapel, which is very 'wet' (and long, so my hope is back of that room = way back comparatively). The regular instruments go in Synchron Stage Wide and enjoy the definition of this space. The Synchron Player Surround can make a channel go 360 degrees. So there well oughtta be some back to front in this. The wind patch in Geosonics is none of the above but its space is just amazing. But this whole space thing is what specifically got me to get it together and start again.
Last edited by jancivil on Wed Jul 19, 2023 2:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

Oh & thanks guys

Tell you what that reminded me a of a bit - that part in 2001 where the monkeys first come across the monolith and there's the really eerie music with the wailing vocals. Scared the bejebus out of me as a kid. :scared:

As you know, not really my type of thing usual listening wise, but I thought it was very effective and well done!

This is the bit I meant;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHWs3c3YNs4

Oh, I know it well. This is one of the bigger influences on me in my life, this "middle period" of Ligeti and micropolyphony.

I first saw it on first release, I was 12. My sister and I went unaccompanied by parents. Later I saw it on acid (many, many times) and it was levitating. I think for Ligeti this is spiritual, the face of God or like that.

I'm struggling to do any more with it today, it might be time to take it out of the oven.

thanx

[WIP talk]
Last edited by jancivil on Sun Jun 25, 2023 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

[8GB RAM and this whole sound plays in real time. :P]

5 days of some percussion and mix considerations and it seems to be fully baked.

I think this will sound gangbusters on a good system in a good room.
Tune-wise this is maybe a 30s jingle's worth of material. it's a 2-minute *cue*, you know.

Yous should hear this just for the sound. I'm happy with it.

Nice to hear. A hell of a lot more enjoyable than the John Williams (composer) medley I suffered through on NPR tonight. :)

Return to “Music Cafe”