Push 3 for Bitwig - is it going to happen?

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Ohh maaaaan, this is hard, not easy to be a SmajjL atm.. hmm, good job! Push3 ... *sigh* :help: haha 8)
From not needing a new controller to wanting one, 0-100 in 0.001 sec it felt like *Doh!* :)
The pad-controller-future looks bright though :)

Demo videos show how they play melodies and chords with it but it's only a pad controller. I don't get it. How can they play anything with it. It must be difficult and awkward.

Chameleonman wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 5:33 pm Demo videos show how they play melodies and chords with it but it's only a pad controller. I don't get it. How can they play anything with it. It must be difficult and awkward.
It's very easy, easier to learn than a standard keyboard (chord shapes transpose) and of course you have the scale function so you have a 64 note 'MPE' keyboard laid out 8x8 where every note is always in key! Linnstrument and others have been doing this for a long time and people have become extremely proficient at playing this type of layout.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

liquidsound wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 3:05 pm Or you can run M4L in Bitwig? :o
:uhuhuh:
If only...

pinki wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 5:44 pm
liquidsound wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 3:05 pm Or you can run M4L in Bitwig? :o
:uhuhuh:
If only...
That would be extraordinary and I own tons of M4L stuff, tons…. :oops:

But…. I can already hear some BW users will point out that M4L is not capable of Polyphonic modulations etc. :dog: :hihi:

How can someone make music without “that feature”!
Inconceivable!!!
MuLab-Reaper of course :D

What?!!?

M4L can not do polyphonic modulations ???!!!

How can someone make mus......!!!
:D :D

Reason studios made the best move ever a few years ago by creating the reason rack plugin.
They authorised usage of Rack Extensions and combinator 2 as well that there modular wirable system "outside" of reason as a DAW.
Using it in bitwig is close to perfection and happiness on earth.
Some even say that playing with it can cure some previously incurred diseases.

I dont know if ableton should/ could do the same move technically and commercially but yes, it would be awesome...

SmajjL wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 1:16 pm I am curious what someone on Linux has to say, and what the future MOSS has to say and picking one up at the store and try myself (simply) is not an option atm.
The latest Ableton Live on Windows installs drivers for it, and at the same time, the standalone they/you say is running on Linux, not sure if Linux itself is going to get a Push by, Push, sure hope so :cool:
Push 2 is great with BWS and Linux. I'm keeping mine for now.

About P3 standalone running Linux; not surprising. It makes good sense. Just think of the trouble (terms) and cost it'd otherwise be to license Win/Mac embedded or whatever, for every device they're about to sell ...
Nah, instead they'll enjoy the benefits of FOSS and decades worth of Linux/tools development they'll never have to do ...
Will it be a one way street though? That's what I wonder. Will they contribute anything back to the kernel, or even give their community a long awaited Linux build of Ableton?
We'll see

I wonder what the operating system is based on that would run Live in the standalone. It could be a stripped down Linux. Especially M4L would be a challenge to get going. When Max was ported to Windows back in the days, David Zicarelli said it would have been easier to port to Linux than to Windows. The standalone does not need the GUIs of plugins and devices. The new RNBO technology is made to run even on embedded devices. Maybe Live 12 or 13 will have a Linux version, though what would make me really get exited is Max/MSP running natively on Linux… I lost hope for that when Cycling married Ableton, now the hope is back in a way…

I'm sure it's a long shot, but it might be possible for Moss to hijack the controller section of Push 3 stand alone, and if the world ran the way I would like it to, you might be able to use the built in tracks in the stand alone copy of live in Bitwig, i.e. at least 16 tracks of Live instruments, M4L in Bitwig. Probably beyond reason but hey! :)

M4L may only be available (to upload the devices to Push 3) directly from the Ableton installed in your system.
So, maybe, if you own an Ableton license then you can upload the M4L devices and use them inside Push and perhaps have them effect your usage of Push 3 as Standalone only.
I can't imagine M4L interact, via script, with Bitwig.

It’s possible Bitwig could run on PUSH 3 Stand-alone (it’s just a Linux computer) and even that the scrips may run so that all the push buttons are mapped etc. but you still wouldn’t get all the lovely graphics etc. not possible that MAX will run in Bitwig unless you ised RNBO and converted MAX patches to VSTs

All in all I would still say if you want PUSH you’re better off with Live, but If you have live and Bitwig you get some great secondary use out of push when using Bitwig. If I was just using Bitwig you may be better off with something else as PUSH 3 isn’t cheap if you are not getting all the features…
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

lunardigs wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 12:47 am
SmajjL wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 1:16 pm I am curious what someone on Linux has to say, and what the future MOSS has to say and picking one up at the store and try myself (simply) is not an option atm.
The latest Ableton Live on Windows installs drivers for it, and at the same time, the standalone they/you say is running on Linux, not sure if Linux itself is going to get a Push by, Push, sure hope so :cool:
Push 2 is great with BWS and Linux. I'm keeping mine for now.

About P3 standalone running Linux; not surprising. It makes good sense. Just think of the trouble (terms) and cost it'd otherwise be to license Win/Mac embedded or whatever, for every device they're about to sell ...
Nah, instead they'll enjoy the benefits of FOSS and decades worth of Linux/tools development they'll never have to do ...
Will it be a one way street though? That's what I wonder. Will they contribute anything back to the kernel, or even give their community a long awaited Linux build of Ableton?
We'll see
Yeah, kinda the same happy thought as the SteamDeck, both Valve and Penguins benefit even if Valve have Way more income from Windows users.
Ableton maby have enough Schwarzenegger muscles to just one day say *pffft* why the heck not, who knows :)
When it comes to Native Instruments, the Against Linux (reputation) is strong in this one, but sometimes "the sun shines in the UK" someone just write i saw ;) haha :D
Right now i have a Launchpad X and should a Launchpad XI show up with similar padresponse/sensitivity and all that then, i might be totally off topic ;) :D
Time will tell, good times, and when Bitwig 5 is released, i bet they have something planned already to Make people upgrade :)

SteveElbows just posted this on gearspace. For controller mode looks like Push 3 support will be easy.

“Good news for those hoping to use Push 3 for non-Ableton purposes in the same way people could with the Push 2:

The method for controlling the display is pretty unchanged. I hacked someones Push 2 code to take account of different MIDI port names and different USB Device ID for the Push 3 and it worked, successfully updating the Push 3's display etc.

My standalone Push 3 has a USB deviceID of 0x1969 (I think the Push 2s was 0x1967) when I connect it to my Mac in controller mode.”

liquidsound wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 6:06 pm
But…. I can already hear some BW users will point out that M4L is not capable of Polyphonic modulations etc.
I don’t see a reason why Bitwig users would point that out since we already have unlimited polyphonic modulation as is :hihi:

pdxindy wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 1:08 am
liquidsound wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 6:06 pm
But…. I can already hear some BW users will point out that M4L is not capable of Polyphonic modulations etc.
I don’t see a reason why Bitwig users would point that out since we already have unlimited polyphonic modulation as is :hihi:
Do we? :o :hihi:

Return to “Bitwig”