OBX-Pro III in a live setting

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I recently bought a Roland Fantom-06 and although it does have a lot of great sounds, I still want the option to use my OBX-Pro III patches. Is there a way to easily get samples of the OBX-Pro III patches onto the fantom-06 this way I don't have to bring my computer to every gig and practice? I know there's a way to create your own sounds on the fantom-06 using the built in synth, but I don't know how to accurately recreate the sounds I need on it. Has anyone done this before? Specifically I want the synth sounds from Lucky Man, tom sawyer, rebel yell, easy lover, everybody wants to rule the world, drive (the cars), hungry like the wolf, rio, uptown funk and i can't go for that no can do.

This is really about the Fantom, so should be hardware, but if your Fantom has sample RAM and the ability to use samples, then you can sample out the patches you want into playable instruments on the Fantom.

If your Fantom does not have that feature, then no, you can't use those sounds inside the Fantom.

Drakus79 wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 12:13 pmI know there's a way to create your own sounds on the fantom-06 using the built in synth, but I don't know how to accurately recreate the sounds I need on it.
I think I could help you out. Do the re-creation for you as close as possible with Roland Cloud Zenology Pro which I could demo for free (fully functional) for 30 days.

Seems that software RC Zenology Pro is patch compatible with your hardware Roland Fantom-06.

Hint: VIDEO - Roland Cloud How-To: Import/Export Patches To Zen Core Hardware

Questions: How many sounds you like to have translated to your Roland Fantom-06 in total? Plus which one exactly?

Etienne1973 wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 3:30 am
Drakus79 wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 12:13 pmI know there's a way to create your own sounds on the fantom-06 using the built in synth, but I don't know how to accurately recreate the sounds I need on it.
I think I could help you out. Do the re-creation for you as close as possible with Roland Cloud Zenology Pro which I could demo for free (fully functional) for 30 days.

Seems that software RC Zenology Pro is patch compatible with your hardware Roland Fantom-06.

Hint: VIDEO - Roland Cloud How-To: Import/Export Patches To Zen Core Hardware

Questions: How many sounds you like to have translated to your Roland Fantom-06 in total? Plus which one exactly?
Basically all the synth sounds from the songs listed in my OP. I'm not sure exactly how many that is, but let's just start with one. I tried recreating the lucky man moog solo sound by using the settings on OB-X Pro as a guide but couldn't really get it to sound like it. I suppose I could try RC Zenology Pro but I don't see the advantage of doing that over creating it directly on the keyboard. Is there a way to export it from OB-X and onto a format RC Zenology Pro can read?

beely wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 12:50 pm This is really about the Fantom, so should be hardware, but if your Fantom has sample RAM and the ability to use samples, then you can sample out the patches you want into playable instruments on the Fantom.

If your Fantom does not have that feature, then no, you can't use those sounds inside the Fantom.
It does have that feature, I just don't know how to get the samples out of OBX into a format the Roland can read (I think it can import WAVs and Z-Core files)

You would need to sample it, and copy those samples to the Fantom and build an instrument out of them.

What's the best way to sample it? I've never done it before. Do have to record each note individually? Do have to sample each note at each velocity?
Last edited by Drakus79 on Tue Jul 09, 2024 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Easiest would be some kind of auto sampling solution - I would use Auto Sampler in Logic, but other tools are available.

Or you can just manual sample out some notes and map them manually as usual. If you've never sampled anything before, the best way is to dig in and learn... You don't have to record every note, but what you have to sample to recreate a given patch will vary depending on what the patch is doing. This comes from experience, really.

It might be better to just have a decent laptop to use with the OP-X plugin, instead of trying to sample so many presets.

But if you want to, SampleRobot is great at sampling plugins.

Examigan wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 10:21 am It might be better to just have a decent laptop to use with the OP-X plugin, instead of trying to sample so many presets.
Yeah, I'm just having difficulty getting the keyboard working with logic. I sent a support ticket to roland, but they haven't responded yet.

beely wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 12:50 pm... if your Fantom has sample RAM and the ability to use samples, then you can sample out the patches you want into playable instruments on the Fantom. ...
Roland Fantom-06 has sample RAM for user wave content. Size 256MBytes. Memory shared with Roland Expansion data.

Source: Fantom-06 Reference Manual p188

Example: 25 OP-X Pro-III multisamples, each 10MB in average size, are possible. But that's best case scenario when whole sample RAM memory 256MBytes is available, no Roland Expansion data installed.

Drakus79 wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 10:06 am What's the best way to sample it? I've never done it before. Do have to record each note individually? Do have to sample each note at each velocity?
I've sampled, looped, mapped and converted (WAVs to Roland Zen-Core Multisample format) OP-X Pro-II Lucky Man Solo II synth patch for testing.

Now it's a Roland SVZ multisample in minor 3rds, all individual samples @ velocity 127. Because in this patch velocity doesn't modulate anything. Not even amp level.

Keys: c0, d#0, f#0, a0, c1, d#1, etc. up to c6. Total 25 mono samples 16Bit/44.1kHz. Size = 9.8MBytes.

Beforehand I've disabled OP-X Pro-II effects, set voices' pan positions to mono, disabled pan modulation, disabled legato and portamento (glide) and dialed back amp envelope's attack + release to zero.

Download >>> Lucky Man Solo II.svz.zip <<<

IMPORTANT: USB flash drive formatting must be done on the Fantom. After that you can connect the USB stick to your computer.

Then you should be able to import this file via USB flash drive into your Fantom-06 hardware.
Step by step >> Fantom-06 Reference Manual p91 + p92 > Importing Sample Data (IMPORT)

I really hope samples' loop data is in SVZ format still intact, preserved. Plus ideally the mapping also. Please let me know if that's not the case. Thanks.

The samples make it easy to setup, so that was nice of Etienne1973 to do that!

The Lucky Man sound was mainly a square wave on two oscs with some glide, and unison mode switched on with the spread turned up to about 10 oclock. The OP-X preset uses a bit more than that, but that would get you close to it.

It seems that might be a good one to try and replicate on your hardware synth as it's not too complex.

Etienne1973 wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 10:20 am
Drakus79 wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 10:06 am What's the best way to sample it? I've never done it before. Do have to record each note individually? Do have to sample each note at each velocity?
I've sampled, looped, mapped and converted (WAVs to Roland Zen-Core Multisample format) OP-X Pro-II Lucky Man Solo II synth patch for testing.

Now it's a Roland SVZ multisample in minor 3rds, all individual samples @ velocity 127. Because in this patch velocity doesn't modulate anything. Not even amp level.

Keys: c0, d#0, f#0, a0, c1, d#1, etc. up to c6. Total 25 mono samples 16Bit/44.1kHz. Size = 9.8MBytes.

Beforehand I've disabled OP-X Pro-II effects, set voices' pan positions to mono, disabled pan modulation, disabled legato and portamento (glide) and dialed back amp envelope's attack + release to zero.

Download >>> Lucky Man Solo II.svz.zip <<<

IMPORTANT: USB flash drive formatting must be done on the Fantom. After that you can connect the USB stick to your computer.

Then you should be able to import this file via USB flash drive into your Fantom-06 hardware.
Step by step >> Fantom-06 Reference Manual p91 + p92 > Importing Sample Data (IMPORT)

I really hope samples' loop data is in SVZ format still intact, preserved. Plus ideally the mapping also. Please let me know if that's not the case. Thanks.
Thank you for doing this. I was able to import them, but couldn't figure out how to actually use any of these samples. Do I have to assign them to a pad? I thought they would be assigned to the keys. I've imported z-core files before and usually it gets assigned to tones under user, but I didn't see it there. In fact I searched all the menus and couldn't find any options to assign samples to individual keys.
Last edited by Drakus79 on Wed Jul 10, 2024 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Examigan wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 10:39 am The samples make it easy to setup, so that was nice of Etienne1973 to do that!

The Lucky Man sound was mainly a square wave on two oscs with some glide, and unison mode switched on with the spread turned up to about 10 oclock. The OP-X preset uses a bit more than that, but that would get you close to it.

It seems that might be a good one to try and replicate on your hardware synth as it's not too complex.
Are there any step by step instructions on how to create this on the fantom-06?

Return to “Instruments”