Delay Time Dotted and Triplet Confusion

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I read that the proper formula for dotted notes is the full note delay time multiplied by 1.5, and for triplet, the full note delay time multiplied by .667. However, when I do this and compare my tremolo to other plugins, it doesn't match up. First, none of them have dotted whole notes, so what I have as a dotted whole note sounds more like what my reference plugin has as a dotted half note. Also, what I have as a half-note triplet sounds like a whole-note triplet on the reference plugin. However, it doesn't sound perfectly matched up and still slightly off. I'm so confused. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Well, your factors are ok, for a note with duration T you have T + T/2 for the dotted and T * 2/3 for triplet.
For the sync in your context maybe you need to see that all the elements actually use the same duration reference (E.G. 4/4 at 120 BPM) and they start at with same phase = no time offsets.

Yeah, the tempo and time signature matter. For example, with 4/4 time every quarter note is considered a 'beat,' so if the tempo is 60 bpm, every beat is one second long. With a time signature 6/8, for example, every eighth note is a beat, so at 60 bpm every eighth note would be a second long and every quarter note would be twice that.

You can get into a bit of a gray area here in that a typical musician playing in 6/8 time is probably going to consider every three eighth notes as representing a beat, i.e. every dotted quarter note. But sticking to the strict formula of treating the denominator as the beat indicator removes any ambiguity in calculating delay time; you just want to give enough options to the user so that they can choose the note value/type that represents the beat in their context.

Leslie Sanford wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 6:48 pm Yeah, the tempo and time signature matter. For example, with 4/4 time every quarter note is considered a 'beat,' so if the tempo is 60 bpm, every beat is one second long. With a time signature 6/8, for example, every eighth note is a beat, so at 60 bpm every eighth note would be a second long and every quarter note would be twice that.
The time signature doesn't matter unless you're trying to subdivide. It's all relative to BPM.

Return to “Effects”