ZynAddSubFX announce

Official support for: zynaddsubfx.sourceforge.net
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi there Paul,
me too, I'm hoping that you (at least occasionally) still check your own forum and this thread in particular
from time to time. It's a real pity that you let this great synth die on itself (this is what it looks like at least).
It has just such a great potential. I'm using the Linux version of it and no matter what distro I use, with or without realtime kernel,
it has tremenduous stability problems. Someone else mentionned flipping through the presets too quickly i.e.,
which is one of the problems I encounter as well. Also it looks like the lower the latency, the more temperamental ZynAdd becomes.

If you're abandoning the synth, it's OK. Only it would be nice to inform those who still use (or try to use) it at least.
Maybe pass the source code on to someone willing and able to continue this effort of yours?
There are so many a great devs out there in linux land (and elsewhere of course ;)), I'm sure someone would pick up the
opportunity, since you already layed down most of the work. It's mainly debugging/bug fixing/stability improving business now, no?

In any case, I hope you're doing well and please, let us know about your future plans re: ZynAddSubFX

Best regards
Raphael ;)

Funk, this software is opensource. Anyone can change it at anytime (like I did before).

I think ZynAddSubFX is still underestimated thing... stability?? Ugly GUI? Lack of patches? Comeone this thing is what I was dreaming of these times... it's a goldmine for serious synth programmers.

The only thing I would really need is harmonics automation (for additive/substractive) to bring more evolveness into sound. Could be realized by extending NRPN implementaiton but I think it would require much MIDI data stream to be passed, and might not be handy in use.

I think Paul did great thing by publishing his innovative idea and encouraging other producers to use it in their own products.

Best regards,
Krzysiek

lotus2035 wrote:
mahtazz wrote:try this: http://personales.ya.com/mahtazz/ZynAdd ... _Beta5.exe

it includes a vsti DLL version.
...hi mahtazz!..thanks for posting this link...this version seems to work a little better although the instrument bank doesnt work properly in this one either.. but you can load all the sounds individually through the "open instrument" dialog..
8)
Check settings, remove the root dir's and add your own that points to, let's say

C:/Program Files/Vstplugins/ZynAddSubFX/banks

same business for presets, only it points to presets.

For some stupid reason the VST version does not save these paths, wheras the standalone version does.

this is a great synth...but I found the VST version unusable....its far too unstable and I wouldnt trust it on an important project...

*lucky linux users!*

@MaliceX: thanks for the tip...

I didnt realise you were responding to me, its been a long while since I posted that... :hihi:

anyway like I said above zynaddFX is too unstable for me so I decided not to use it....maybe paul will update it some day :?

lotus2035 wrote:@MaliceX: thanks for the tip...

I didnt realise you were responding to me, its been a long while since I posted that... :hihi:

anyway like I said above zynaddFX is too unstable for me so I decided not to use it....maybe paul will update it some day :?

-----------------------------------------------------------
Lotus: ZynaddsubFx on Linux is like a rock. I suspect the stability problems you make reference to may be user / Operating system limitations. If you pass this one by it would be like the moron that burned a Strat because it was old anyway and he needed fuel!
Tom
Conscious of a Divinity, grounded in the temporal, devotion to centering on that, is the passport to dancing the eternal " I ", the uni - song. Weeding that which inhibits that song = is what tuning is all about. All music arises from silence. Thomas F.

Tom F. wrote:
lotus2035 wrote:@MaliceX: thanks for the tip...

-----------------------------------------------------------
Lotus: ZynaddsubFx on Linux is like a rock. I suspect the stability problems you make reference to may be user / Operating system limitations. If you pass this one by it would be like the moron that burned a Strat because it was old anyway and he needed fuel!
Tom
Hi Tom..
yes, maybe stability is system specific but on my system at least it was unusable and I dont have problems with any software really ...like I said, I wouldnt trust it on an important project..Im thinking of buying a new PC this year so maybe I will try it again when I do.. :wink:

paulnasca wrote:ZynAddSubFX 2.2.0 is released few days ago:
News:
- the VST version of ZynAddSubFX is removed from the instalation until it will be more stable (hope soon :) )
- now, the instrument banks contains over 300 high quality instruments
- added "Apply" a button from OscilGen window for PADsynth
- added another parameter to ADsynth that controls the amount of all detunes of voices
- adaptive harmonics postprocess
- improved the VU-meter and added a RMS plot
- Dvorak support for Virtual Keyboard
- many bugs fixed and code cleanups

Paul.
Din toata inima felicitari pentru acest admirabil program. Am intentia sa il utilizez in noul an universitar 2010-2011 cu studentii mei de la Universitatea Nationala de Muzica din Bucuresti, intr-o aplicatie live implicand o compozitie muzicala pentru mai multe laptopuri (acest experiment fiind initiat la CCRMA, Stanford University).
Inca o data, FELICITARI PENTRU MINUNATUL DUMNEAVOASTRA SOFTWARE !
Serban Nichifor
Compozitor
Prof.Dr. la Universitatea Nationala de Muzica Bucuresti
Serban Nichifor

google translates the Romanian portion of the previous post as:

"Wholehearted congratulations for this wonderful program. We intend to use the new academic year 2010-2011 with my students at the National University of Music in Bucharest, in a live application involving a musical composition for a laptop (this experiment was initiated at CCRMA, Stanford University).
Again, CONGRATULATIONS FOR YOUR SOFTWARE Wonderful!
Serban Nichifor"

Professor, I hope you and your students make great progress, and enjoy
the same success as CCRMA! :)

Hello!

Does anyone know if there's any Zyn building instructions for Linux somewhere?

According to the website, 'Also, there is a MacOSX port available at http://bennyp.no-ip.org/zyn_mac/index.html, thanks to Ben Powers."

BUT THE LINK IS DEAD. Any suggestion how i can get a copy of the latest v for mac? Thanks.

I read about the lack of stability with Zyn vsti and I want to share my experience.
I am very glad and happy to use this synth.
I use Cubase 6.0.7 64 bit version, and the ZynAddSubFx vsti version 2.4.0.
Here below my instructions to use the synth without problems.
- With Cubase 6.0.7 please use Zyn version 2.4.0
- once activated a Zyn trace, if you do not see your instruments in the banks, first open the edit interface and go to File menu, settings.
Select the tab Bank root dirs
Press the button: Add root directory
Go to your banks directory, select it and press OK.
- once in the Bank root dirs list, select the path and press the button Make default
Now you have your banks available for the Zyn synth in Cubase.
- now select the instrument from the banks list, adjust the reverb and start play with the keybord or start using the editor
- frequently save your project
- freeze the instrument track before adding a new ZynAddSubFx track
- Once added the new track, please repeat the operations to set the banks root directory
It's a little bit boring, but at least the sound is excellent and the stability is ensured.
I'm using also the standalone executable Windows version ZynAddSubFx 2.2.0.
It's stable and excellent, without bugs, and works very well with Windows 64 bit.
Usually I use the standalone version to find sounds that fit well with the music I'm building with Cubase.
Once finded the right instrument, I add it as a new track in Cubase and I go forward.
I used ZynAddSubFx also in as many as ten tracks without problems.
The Zyn produces a very gentle sound and I want to thank the author as first and then all the other persons they worked on it.
I hope in the future it could be equipped with sample loading.

Zyn works great in Reaper. No problems

@tommyzai

if you are still interested in a Mac version, I now made a brew install formula :)

Read about it here: http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=398726
aa

2.4.4 Release Is Up
2.4.4 (28 Jun 2014)
- Add UI Mousewheel Support
- Add Spectral Adjust Parameter Rescaling
- Add Subnote filter smoothing
- Add Unison derandomization options
- Add NSM import/export
- Add NTK UI compatiability
- (re)Add OSX Support
- Enhance performance of ADnote and SUBnote