Apple ditches IBM power PC chip and will use Intel.

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

aMUSEd quoth So apart from the OS what will be the difference between a Mac and a PC?

Probably the BIOS (ie it'll be open firmware instead), and whatever they do to the motherboards to keep them proprietry.

If they remake Logic and OSX to run on Intel systems what's to stop people installing them on their PC's?

The fact that it wont be installable or run? ;)
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

gimme a mac or a pc with logic I'll make the same tracks.
it takes me 10 minutes longer on pc because i can't open 5 reaktors at the same time.
the thing is money G5 = expensive. the development of intel & amd is cheaper and faster. 2pc for the price of a mac.
hope logic 8 version works on both platforms

Im talking about how a mass of Mac users are likely to react.
They'll either go for it - or go for it later.

So far I got a couple of Mac addict friends that threatened to never use a Mac with intel processors because it goes against everything they stand for (whatever that means). They look like they should be on 24 hour suicide watch. What bunch of drama queens :roll: :hihi:.

AD80 wrote:So far I got a couple of Mac addict friends that threatened to never use a Mac with intel processors because it goes against everything they stand for (whatever that means). They look like they should be on 24 hour suicide watch. What bunch of drama queens :roll: :hihi:.
Oh well, no great loss then :-)

BONES wrote:Yes you are, you're proving my point by using a computer that's 5 or 6 years old - clearly you don't give a rat's arse about performance, you just want to use something that's comfortable. And if I wanted to upgrade my 6 year old IBM NetVista I can still get PIII CPU's for it, I just don't know why I would bother. As for quality, where do you think all the components come from? We all use the same RAM, HDD, PCI cards, USB, FireWire, etc, etc. Th eonly difference is that the user can choose which brands to put in his PC, a Mac user has to take what Apple gives him. And yes, its the same with IBM or HP or Dell but as a PC user I don't buy from those f**kers if I can avoid it - ye olde NetVista being an obvious exception.
I use PC and Mac almost equally at work these days and I don't find any difference in terms of reliability or usability, just in terms of flat-out performance, let alone bang-for-buck. Given a choice I will always go for the computer with nVidia Quadro graphics and that means I will never choose a Mac.
yes bones. i'm a dumb f**k for using a computer that's 5 or 6 years old. i'm a dumb f**k because i have a family and can't afford to buy a new computer every 2 years to stay current. i actually get GREAT performance out of my 5 or 6 years old G4 and great performance out of my brand new iMac G5 as a Logic node. however, i still can't afford to go buy all new computers EVEN IF THEY WERE PC'S. and for that matter, until Logic Pro 7 runs on a PC, it's not an option for me. am i a dumb f**k for using Logic Pro 7, then? i guess so, but there isn't a software package in the PC world that can even begin to compete with it for the price i've paid -- $500 LP6 on student discount, $320 LP 7.1 upgrade... try and beat that with cubase SX3/sonar 4 PE and whatever choice of softsynths can match what comes with LP7. even then, none of the options for production i've seen for the PC appeal to me in the same way logic does -- so the point is moot. the tools i have work for me quite well, and besides that, they are tools that i WANT to use -- not ones i have forced myself into using out of ignorance.

BONES wrote:How you can bring that into this debate is beyond me.
It's not beyond me... he's obviously a Mac user.

'Nuff said. :wink:

Its like a format war isnt it - i.e beta versus vhs, and if you purchased a beta, bad luck. Well Iv got Intel, so there must be more on offer and Im winning, so I must be happy.

Anyway why is Mac better than PC.

neverwhere2012 wrote:am i a dumb f**k for using Logic Pro 7, then?
YES! :lol:

weird almost all the mac users i know are pleased...the evangelists on both sides need to grow up anyway
< nobody cares what you use >

quantize wrote:weird almost all the mac users i know are pleased...the evangelists on both sides need to grow up anyway

I'm making the move to Mac soon.. I'll give you all *my*
verdict soon :)

my prediction is that cubearse sucks, sonar is good and logic rules!!! :hihi:
My other host is Bruce Forsyth

quantize wrote:weird almost all the mac users i know are pleased...the evangelists on both sides need to grow up anyway
i could care less about the transition, myself. if it means cheaper macs in the future, then cool. i think there's definite benefits to it, but in the end G5 or P4 or whatever, if i can still use OSX and Logic Pro, then it doesn't matter who makes the processor.

machinesworking wrote:
BONES wrote:To summarise - Apple users are dumb f**ks.
God I love this. OK I'm also into Industrial Bones. Let's see? Hocico use an 867mhz mac, VNV use mac, Coil, Front 242, Chris and Cozy, Assemblage 23 all use macs.
Yes, and they all trust their Mac's so much that they use backing tapes on stage. Anyway, last I saw Ronan was sticking with Logic 5.x on PC. If he's changed it is only to stay with Logic I would imagine.
Atari Teenage Riot, Allied Vision, and Suicide Commando all use Ataris.
Not on stage.
Are all of these groups dumb f**ks for not running this years fastest PC with Windoz?
Probably. If not for that reason, then for some other I'm sure.
Personally I'm happy that Apple will use Intel machines, and that's great that you like roll your own PC's , but it makes no sense to say the kind of things you do about macs, it's just stupid.
What things? That they offer absolutely no real advantage over PC's and cost considerably more? Only a dumb f**k Mac idiot would think that was a stupid thing to say.
What I find interesting is that you know what platforms these idiots are using. Sure sign of insecurity if you ask me.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

I'm getting a Mac to run Logic. Logic works for me. I don't care how much a Mac costs. If Logic would run on my Commodore 64 I'd use that. Who gives a f**k how fast/up-to-date your machine is? If it works for you and it helps you make the music you want, it's fine, isn't it? Or do you mean that you always need to use the latest gear or you're not serious about music? When I use an old guitar or amp, am I a dumb f**k?

sounds very elitist to me
My other host is Bruce Forsyth

BONES wrote:
cavedweller wrote:Coming from the guy who bought a pair of ridiculously expensive designer shades he's only worn a couple of times to look "cool" onstage, I'd say you were coming close to redefining the meaning of irony there.
Its all a matter of perspective. I bought a ridiculously expensive [and heavy] keyboard stand that I've only used on stage a couple of times, to look cool, but as its all part of the performance, I see it as money well spent. I paid the absolute minimum I could to acheive my goal. If I could have got that look cheaper, I definitely would have but live performance is exactly that - not hiding behind your laptop screen and hoping no-one will notice you. We like to put on a show for those who pay good money to see us and hopefully we give punters good value for money so they don't feel like they may as well have stayed at home and listened to the CD. How you can bring that into this debate is beyond me.
Debate? Sorry, I thought you were just insulting people. :D

Anyway...thats simple....I can bring it because, in my view, it illustrates 'dumb f**k' behaviour infinitely more aptly than anything you've said about 'mac users'.

It also illustrates that we can, and do, have differnt views on the same subject. As you say, its a matter of perspective. You see it as 'money well spent' - I think its a childish, pathetic and ill-conceived triumph of style over substance.

But ultimately, what you chose to wear on your head has nothing to do with me, and I only bring it up now, because it illustrates my point.

I'd say a much more certain sign that someone is a "dumb f**k" (compared eg- to what computer, or head decor they choose to use) is that they have little or no empathy, and cannot see beyond their own views and predjudices and accept that other people can and do have different views, ideas, motivations, preferences & perceptions that are as valid as their own.

Another surefire sign of a "dumb f**k" imo, is someone who is happy to generalise and insult an entire cross-section of individuals, just because they make different choices and have different opinions.
Last edited by cavedweller on Tue Jun 07, 2005 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”