Acustica Audio has announced Magenta Mastering Eq, a new Audio Unit and VST plugin for Mac OS X and Windows, with pre-release offer: MSRP is €149.00 but you can purchase it now for €125.00, saving €24.00. The estimated release date is 1st October, 2014.
Acustica Audio has been working in the software modelling of high-quality analog hardware devices for over seven years. They say that Magenta is the best mastering equalizer that they have ever designed. It is inspired by a famous equalizer used on a daily basis in countless audio applications. They were so smitten with this hardware that they tried to turn it into a software that would do it justice, trying to improve it as much as they could.
Acustica Audio used what they consider to be the best cables and converters on the market, they measured a mastering unit in excellent conditions, and employed skilled experts in the sampling process. The result is a two-channel, four-band parametric equalizer with a stepped frequency selector, complete with a preamp section.
They warn: "We are not known for our CPU efficiency or low latency. We are known for our incredible sound. We use a brute-force method and our motto is to model even what cannot be perceived."
Further technical details:
- This device uses design strengths from choice console, parametric, graphic, and Pultec Eqs, delivering a fundamentally different sounding Eq.
- Two bands are switchable from shelf to bell, and from boost to cut; the other two bands are only switchable from boost to cut.
- It features filter curves, distortion and hysteretic behaviour.
- The specially tuned fixed frequencies overlap and interleave between all adjoining Eq bands.
- The tone shaping elements of the original equalizer it was inspired by use only resistors, inductors, and capacitors to create all frequency changes.