Ample Sound has announced the release of Ample China Qudi(ACQD), a new virtual instrument plug-in built on the latest development of the Woodwind Sample Engine, with 4.4 GB samples, including head and body articulations, FX sounds, as well as a select collection of improvised licks.
Here's what they say:
- Xiaokui Ding (The principal woodwind player of the China National Traditional Orchestra. Member of the Golden Buddha Jazz orchestra with Zhongruan master Mantian Feng, Jazz pianist Hongwei Kong).
- Elegant Wind series D key Qudi (Jianhong Wang Masterbuilt).
- Recorded with 5 mics (Front, Middle, Back, Stereo Ambient). Each mic volume is adjustable and equipped with channel EQ.
- 2 Mic modes: Modern and Traditional, capable of colorful sound designs.
- There are 3 kinds of articulations in Elegant Wind – Head Group (blue keyswitches), Body Group (yellow keyswitches) and Special Effect Group (red keyswitches). Each group occupies one octave.
The head group is used to perform grace notes at head. Articulations with more grace notes are assigned to higher keyswitches; Ascending and descending articulations are close together.
- The body group can not only perform grace notes at head, but also can be used for articulation legatos to express changes of the sound body.
- The Dizi has great dynamic range and timbre variation. The sample library provides 5 velocity layers, with sound from mildly soft to bright and strong.
- There are 4 velocity layers for Expression articulation, 2 velocity layers for Vibrato articulation, and real samples of Trill sounds. Together with SAHDS virtual modulation system, they can create vivid and realistic notes. Note velocity is used to control the start time of Expression and Vibrato articulations, to generate slowly developing notes or strong notes.
- The sample length of the Elegant Wind is about 8 seconds on average. In most cases, it can meet the requirements of a Dizi note. If user need longer notes, he can turn on the Sample Loop.
New Original Features:
- Intelligent Legato System:
- The Auto Legato System detects the duration of each note. For legatos whose duration is less than this value, only the straight legato will be triggered to ensure that no unwanted grace notes during fast performance.
- When note duration is longer than Legato Time:
- Velocity;126-127;Triggers Layering Legato (Ascending) and Ripple Legato(Descending)
- Velocity;96-125;triggers Grace Legato
- Velocity;32-96;triggers Straight Legato
- Velocity;16-31;triggers Soft Legato 1
- Velocity;1-15;triggers Soft Legato 2
- In Slide Legato mode, low velocity triggers slide notes.
- In the real performance of the Dizi, the legatos are ever-changing, sometimes hard and sometimes soft. Legatos with no changes cannot completely simulate real performance.
- Hold pedal can be used to turn on Double Legato Mode.
- Endless Articulation Legato:
- The Elegant Wind's body group can be used for endless articulation legatos. For example, you can start with a Sustain, hold the note, then play the Expression Keyswitch (C1) to play legato to an Expression note; then play Marking keyswitch (E1) to play legato to a Marking note, and then press Laying keyswitch (F1) to play legato to a Laying note, and so on.
- Creative Mirroring Feature:
- Playing the keyswitch when a note is sounding will reverse the sample at current position. It changes for example a Slide Up to Slide Down, or a Slow-Fast Vibrato to Fast-Slow Vibrato. It can also be used to control the sustained body of notes like Expression.
- Voice independent SAHDS Modulation System:
- Each voice has its on SAHDS modulation envelope.
- User can get natural and realistic vibratos while keeping the Mod wheel in one position.
- The mod speed, gain, and pitch can also be adjusted.
- Adjustable Wind Effect:
- The Wind is the sound of air blowing in the Dizi tube. We extracted this sound from each real sample to enable the independent control of this element.
- The sound of the Dizi without the Wind is very pure. Moderately control the volume of the Wind, and make some changes during the performance, can increase the feeling of "dirty" and breath, and improve the realism.
- Other new features include sample skipping technology, random articulation, keyboard mode for playing chords etc.
- Windows: Windows 7/8/10, 64-bit only (32-bit not supported).
- Mac: 10.9 or newer versions.
- VST2, VST3, AU, AAX and Standalone host.
- Intel i5 or higher.
- iLok Anti-Piracy system, which requires a free iLok account. The license can be stored on the local machine without an iLok dongle, or on 2nd/3rd generation iLok dongle.
Composer: Yi Yang, Piano:Ruben Carillo, Stings: International Principal Philharmonic Orchestra.
Intro Price: $109 until April 27, 2021 (Reg. $149).