This release adds two new plugins:
- Saturate Spectral Clipper plug-in.
- Punctuate Auditory Transient Emphasis plug-in.
The bundle is on sale for $139; upgrade from EQuivocate for $99 thru September 5, 2018.
Saturate is a saturation plug-in made popular as the final Spectral Clipper stage in the Elevate plug-in. Saturate as two controls which belie a sophisticated signal processing engine which allows it to overdrive a signal without effecting the tonal balance or allowing the signal to get "tubby". This makes it ideal for overdriving an entire mix, but it works quite well on individual instruments as well. Consider placing it after Punctuate to transparently treat the transients that you may have boosted.
Punctuate is heavily based on the Transient Emphasis section of the Elevate Mastering Limiter. It is a multi-band transient modulator (sometimes called a transient designer) that uses, by default, the 26 critical bands in the human ear. In addition to using the critical bands it uses intelligent algorithms to set the parameters of the transient modulator for each band. This allows you to control the transient emphasis (or suppression) and timing across all 26 bands with just 4 controls.
Like EQuivocate the filter bank in Punctuate supports between 1 and 26 bands which, by default, are distributed along the Mel Scale between 0 Hz and 20 kHz, however it does allow you to customize the center frequency of each band. The filters themselves are linear phase triangular filters, of the kind often used in human auditory models to represent critical bands. Unlike the filters used in analog graphic EQs, these filters are very well behaved over the mel space. With Transient Emphasis at 0% these filters will pass your audio untouched, and when the transients are modulated, each band will stay completely independent from its neighbor. And unlike some other linear phase filter implementations, these filters have minimal pre-echo or other time domain artifacts. The overall effect is a very pleasant and neutral tone modification, which sounds very natural.
By default, the number of bands is set to 26 and they are spread using the Mel Scale, so that filters should closely represent the critical bands of human hearing. This means each transient modulator is directly tickling a different section of your inner ear. For the purposes of modifying a complex sound, this should be the most direct way available.
This all works together to create an incredibly powerful, but very easy to use transient modulator.
Summary of what's new in Elevate Mastering Bundle v1.5.0:
- Added True Peak Limiting mode to Elevate as well as True Peak output metering.
- Added new Saturate Spectral Clipper plug-in.
- Added new Punctuate Auditory Transient Emphasis plug-in.
- EQuivocate: Added Range Parameter which will allow you to scale and invert the EQ curve, even after MATCH EQ is locked in.
- EQuivocate: Added Band Activate/Deactivate switches to allow you to hear the effect of each band in context.
- Alt click now sets sliders to default in both DRAW CURVE on and off modes.
- Updated some graphics.
- New UPDATE button will inform user when further updates are available.