Hal Leonard Books has published Modern Guitar Rigs: The Tone Fanatic's Guide to Integrating Amps and Effects by Scott Kahn.
Modern Guitar Rigs covers topics of interest to guitarists looking to build pro-level rigs, whether they're playing clubs at the indie band level, getting set for a major tour, heading into the studio to record a new album, or just searching for a great tone.
- Kahn, a technologist and accomplished guitar player, dissects complex guitar set-ups for multiple scenarios with an informal, relaxed style and calls attention to detail with bullet-point lists. Photos of the latest professional gear and actual rig examples of top guitarists add interest and application to the discussion.
- Modern Guitar Rigs explores advanced topics including:.
- Rack gear: multi-effects processors and dedicated signal processors, audio loopers, amp function switching systems, and MIDI foot controllers.
- Amp setups: wet/dry/wet configurations, rack-mounted tube preamps and power amps, stereo rigs, integrating pedals and rack gear, and floor-based loop systems.
- Guitar options: piezoelectric pickups and splitting guitar signals to multiple amps Effect loops: choosing the right loop for your specific needs.
- Rig infrastructure: power conditioning, noise suppression, power attenuators, wireless systems, custom cabling, and equipment racks.
- Rigs of the stars: a look at the complex rigs used by many leading guitar players, including John Petrucci of Dream Theater, Alex Lifeson of Rush, and Steven Wilson and John Wesley of Porcupine Tree.
- Interviews with leading custom rig builders, including the legendary Bob Bradshaw of Custom Audio Electronics.
The book is for players looking to move beyond a simple pedal board and combo amp. It comes with a bonus DVD with more than an hour of video including Building a Pro Guitar Rig, Setting Up Your First Small Rack, Taming The Pedalboard, and a music video.