Psychic Modulation has announced the release of Phonec v2.0, the successor to the original Phonec synthesizer, which was inspired by the mystique of video logos you hear at the beginning of worn out VHS tapes. This time around it's available for both Mac OS X and Windows as a 32/64-bit VST and Audio Units plugin.
Phonec 2 has all the features of the original plus many new features and several improvements. Phonec 2 is capable of producing a wide range of sounds such as vintage analogue tones, lo-fi synthscapes, ethereal pads, minimal techno sequences, retro synthwave leads and hard hitting synth basses.
Psychic Modulation say "Phonec 2 has an intuitive GUI that attempts to strike a balance between form and function, making it a very usable tool that can be a real inspiration to work with. Apart from its unique character and excellent work flow, Phonec 2 has several interesting features that set it apart from the crowd."
- Phonec 2 has many new features and improvements in the overall signal flow. From the oscillators to the Echoshifter and everything that gets Melted in between, each section has been completely reworked.
- Aftertouch has been implemented, with control of nine different parameters, making Phonec much more expressive than before.
- Patch randomization has also been included. But rather than randomizing every control at one time, Phonec 2 has randomization switches for specific sections that were well planned out, giving you a little common sense chaos where it can be most useful.
- Each control now has the ability to be assigned to a MIDI controller by simply right-clicking on it. You'll also notice that the controls are much smoother and seem to glide into position.
- The sequencer has been greatly improved, with a modulation grid for the Filter/Amp and Copy/Paste controls for storing your patterns and pasting them into other patches. There have also been improvements in the way the sequencer responds to note triggering, with super solid timing.
- The Echoshifter has been revamped. High and Low pass filters have been added into the feedback path for creating sweeping delays and tape delay dub sounds. But to make this even more unique is the Shifter being added into the feedback path as well, allowing for endless pitch-shifting delays. The Audio Input allows you to run any external audio source straight into the Echoshifter. And of course, external signals can still pass through the Melt effect as well.
- And finally the much improved patch management system allows you to load/save banks and copy/paste patches right from the interface.
- Dual Oscillators that can be combined in unique ways.
- Sub Oscillator for beefing up the low end.
- Analog-style oscillator drifting.
- 2-stage lowpass filter plus 1-pole highpass.
- Melt: A unique feature that adds instant character to any patch.
- Arpeggiator (synced to host).
- Modulation Sequencer.
- 3 LFOs (2 monophonic, 1 polyphonic).
- HFO (High Frequency Oscillator).
- 2 Modulation Envelopes.
- Aftertouch control of several parameters.
- Echoshifter: Pitchshifting Dub Delay Unit.
- External Audio Processing.
- MIDI Learn and automation of any parameter.
- Patch Randomization.
- Double Click Parameter Reset.
- Intuitive patch management system.
- Default bank of 128 patches.
Phonec 2 is available for $59 as a VST and Audio Unit plugin.