Sound Magic has announced Serenade Workstation, a "DSD/DXD/high-resolution music production workstation with quality, affordability and portability".
Serenade is designed for high-resolution music production. It is a complete package consisting of the Serenade 384kHz USB2.0 Audio Interface, a Digital Audio Workstation, a DSD/DXD Effect Plugin Bundle and a DSD&PCM Bi-directional Converter Software.
Back in 1999, The "Next Generation" Audio Format was introduced by Sony and Philips as a successor to the standard audio CD technology (PCM). It was called Digital Stream Data - formally known as Super Audio Compact Disc. DXD (which stands for the Digital Extreme Definition and has a 24-bit/352.8kHz resolution) is an alternative encoding scheme developed to aid in editing DSD. Neither format became as popular as they were expected to for 3 main reasons:
- DSD is a format which is very difficult to edit and process directly.
- Most professional audio interfaces are at 24-bit/192kHz, and cannot support higher resolution (such as 24-bit/352.8kHz), nor do they have native playback support for the DSD format.
- The workstation which can make DSD/DXD formats are far too expensive for most musicians.
Serenade Workstation managed to solve these issues by:
- Providing a USB audio interface which supports up to 32-bit/384kHz (which can playback DXD) and native playback support for 4 kinds of DSD resolutions: DSD64, DSD128, DSD256 and DSD512.
- Providing a DAW and plug-ins that work at 32-bit/352.8kHz and 32-bit/384kHz resolution, allowing for nearly lossless conversion to DSD. This makes DSD an editable format, allowing for mixing and mastering.
- Providing the entire solution at a very affordable price of $999, far less than any other DSD/DXD workstation - and even lower than a lot of common mixing/mastering solutions.
Serenade Workstation will be officially released and available on the market at the beginning of December.