Surreal Machines has announced the release of Dub Machines, a bundle containing Modnetic and Diffuse, two analog-inspired delay plugins in VST and AU formats for Windows and OS X hosts, for 99 EUR.
Surreal Machines say "at the heart of our design process, the technical emulation of well known analog FX units is subjected to fine-tuning by ear in order to challenge the model with creative possibilities that transcend its original design."
Modnetic provides analog emulated tape delay, realistic spring reverb choices and bucket brigade chorus on the one hand, but digital clarity and "impossible" tricks on the other, such as classic digital phasers, reverse-tape and clickless realtime routing options.
Diffuse offers a classic digital feedback delay network with analog-based delay engine and unique twists, such as extreme digital rectification and characterful ducking dynamics.
Both plugins come with hundreds of presets. Both also feature comprehensive documentation, including plugin 'walk-throughs', 'tips & tricks' sections and detailed reference pages.
Modnetic, 69 EUR, offers comprehensive emulation of classic analog tape delay hardware from the 1970s. Modnetic gives you four powerful effects in one: delay, reverb, modulation and tone. No mere slavish analog emulation, Modnetic also has a few digital twists... Compared to Magnetic for Max for Live, Modnetic has been optimized from the ground up for better quality and performance, as well as a completely wider and new set of sounds.
- An Echo section with three combinable virtual tape heads, two different reverse delay effects and a hold mode for immediate sustained loops.
- A Reverb section with 35 carefully crafted IRs.
- A Modulation section featuring chorus, flanger and phaser effects, including analog models inspired by BBDs (Bucket Brigade Devices), clean digital effects and special sonically 'broken' flavors.
- Four vintage machine 'characters' that affect the tonal and sonic qualities of the delay and modulation effects, with a character dial that controls the strength of the selected 'machine style'.
- Comprehensive routing options for blending the three effects in unique and creative ways.
- Rewritten from scratch since the original Max For Live version to be fully optimized for both sound and performance in all modern DAWs.
Diffuse, 49 EUR, is inspired by classic hardware delay and reverb effects from the 1970s and 1980s. It takes a Surreal Machines look at the frontier between delays and reverbs.
Diffuse is an analog/digital hybrid - an analog modeled delay fused with a classic reverb design used in early digital units.
In Diffuse you get more than the best of both worlds - you can morph between delays and reverbs, and find all kinds of fantastical sounds in between the two. You'll also find plenty of nonlinearities and smooth tape-style delay changes.
Diffuse gives you complete control over smearing, echoes and damping.