u-he has announced that Hive has been updated to version v2.1, which comes with four new filter types, support for the latest Apple macOS and M1 hardware, 100 new presets, an alternative skin by Plugmon and much more.
The added filter types are various flavours of comb including polyphonic reverb as well as a sideband filter for ring-mod-like effects and other complex tonal colours. You can use the new filter 'Spread' (hidden parameter) to create immersive stereo in all filter modes, and the extra modulation source 'Mod Noise' lets you inject swirly organic magic into the cleanest of patches... try modulating one with the other.
The browser now features 'Bank' folders, which already list the factory presets by origin (the 100 new presets appear in the "Hive Factory 2.1" bank). Users can create custom banks via drag & drop, for instance all the Hive sounds you have used in one particular track.
Other workflow-related options include Scope viewing of modulation matrix outputs and the radically different alternative skin by Plugmon called 'Izmo'.
Hive now supports macOS Big Sur and the new M1-based Macs. As these developments dropped 32-bit support, so has Hive 2 on the Mac.
Important Note: AAX Mac is temporarily unavailable until AAX support for Big Sur/Apple Silicon arrives. Pro Tools users should continue using Hive 2.0.1 until further notice.
Changes in version 2.1 include:
- macOS 11 (Big Sur) compatibility, native support for Apple Silicon (M1 CPU).
- macOS 32-bit support discontinued.
- 100 additional factory presets.
- Simplified soundset installation.
- New smart folder type 'Bank': origin of presets or custom collections.
- 4 new filter modes: Comb, Dissonant, Reverb, Sideband.
- 4 new filter modulation targets: Spread, Damp, Ratio, Mix.
- New delay & reverb modulation targets: Pan.
- New Shape Sequencer targets: Position A/B/C/D.
- New shape sequencer option: 'Halt'.
- New modulation source: 'Mod Noise'.
- The scope can now display modulation matrix outputs.
- Alternative skin 'Izmo' by Plugmon.
- New scale quantizer menu with 15 scale options.
- Improved hold pedal and note-stealing behaviour.
To update Hive 2 from an older version, download the installer from the product page and follow instructions on page 4 of the included user guide.
This update is free for all current Hive 2 owners.