Universal Audio has announced the release of UAD Software v7.11, featuring four new Direct Developer plug-ins — the Vertigo Sound VSM-3 Mix Satellite, Vertigo Sound VSC-2 Compressor, Massenburg DesignWorks MDWEQ5 and the Manley Variable Mu Limiter Compressor plug-ins for the UAD Powered Plug-Ins platform and Apollo audio interfaces.
Developed by Brainworx, the Vertigo Sound VSM-3 Mix Satellite Plug-In ($299) is an emulation of the Vertigo Sound VSM-2, beloved by mixing and mastering engineers for its colorful saturation flavors. The VSM-3 offers innovative controls for expertly targeted harmonic generation, as well as plug-in-only features such as the THD Mixer's Harmonic Balance control and the ability to run the unit's two harmonic generators simultaneously — either in parallel or series — giving the user more tweakability than the original hardware.
- Two sophisticated coloration generators recreated from the Vertigo VSM-2 hardware and authenticated by Vertigo Sound.
- 2nd Harmonic FET Crusher for warm saturation or distortion.
- 3rd Harmonic Zener Blender for bright, clear, saturation or distortion.
- Crusher and Blender can each be applied to specific signal frequency ranges and then further filtered using the Shape control.
- M/S decoding and encoding for each circuit allows processing of entire stereo signal, or Mid or Side stereo channels.
The Vertigo VSC-2 Quad Discrete VCA Compressor ($299) put the German company on the map with its juxtaposition of vintage sonics and high-tech design. Developed by Brainworx, the Vertigo Sound VSC-2 Compressor Plug-In is an emulation of this modern classic — right down to its four hand-built discrete VCAs — delivering legendary compression textures with a modern signal path and controls.
- Faithful recreation of the Vertigo VSC-2's all-discrete VCA compressor circuitry, authenticated by Vertigo Sound.
- Provides the rich tonal characteristics of classic compressors with modern mastering-grade audio specifications.
- Soft mode for a threshold-related ratio that automatically increases with higher input signal.
- Brick mode to operate the VSC-2 as a limiter, effectively cutting off signal peaks.
The Massenburg DesignWorks MDWEQ5 plug-in ($299) is designed to provide crystal clear processing at the highest resolutions. It is intended as an EQ for music, as well as game developers and engineers in film and television. The MDWEQ5 plug-in is ear-tuned by the man who invented the term "parametric EQ, " George Massenburg.
- Created by George Massenburg, the pioneer of parametric equalization.
- IsoPeak function for finding problem frequencies quickly and accurately.
- Maximum bit-depth processing with zero coloration and distortion.
- Includes two plug-ins; the 5-band MDWEQ5 EQ and 3-band MDWEQ3 EQ.
The Manley Stereo Variable Mu Limiter Compressor ($299) is an emulation of Manley Lab's flagship compressor. The Variable Mu's Class-A, tube and custom transformer-driven design epitomizes hand-made boutique craftsmanship. It's considered the gold standard among mixing and mastering engineers thanks to its smooth, transparent dynamics control, and ability to add clarity and cohesion to stereo buses or an entire mix.
- Transparent Variable Mu tube compression for master fader, sub-groups, and individual sources.
- Exclusively licensed by Manley Labs.
- Models entire stereo Class A circuit, including custom transformers, input gain, and gain reduction characteristics.
- Plug-in only features include Dry/Wet Mix, Controls Linking, and Headroom functions.
- Continuous Dual Input, Stereo Output, Threshold, and Attack controls.
- Side Chain Filter and L/R or M/S operation.