Universal Audio has announced the release of UAD Software v9.0, which includes Thunderbolt compatibility for Windows 10 users and Console 2 for Apollo FireWire users. Alongside the new API 2500 Bus Compressor plug-in, this latest software release also features two exclusive new plug-ins for UAD-2 hardware and Apollo audio interfaces — the Chandler Limited Zener Limiter and the A/DA STD-1 Stereo Tapped Delay.
Thunderbolt compatibility for Windows 10
Now, Thunderbolt-equipped Apollo Twin, Apollo 8 (Duo and QUAD), Apollo 8p, Apollo 16, and Apollo FireWire audio interfaces, as well as UAD-2 Satellite Thunderbolt devices can all be connected to Windows 10 computers that include a Thunderbolt 3 connection (qualified Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt adapter required).
Console 2 for Apollo FireWire
Also released in UAD Software v9.0 is Console 2 for Apollo and Apollo 16 FireWire interfaces. With improved functionality over the original Console app, Console 2 gives Apollo FireWire users a host of new features, including drag-and-drop plug-in arranging and custom channel strip settings designed by top producers and engineers including Darrell Thorp (Beck, Radiohead), Dave Isaac (Prince, Eric Clapton), Jeff Balding (Taylor Swift, Megadeth), and more.
The API 2500 Bus Compressor is a fixture on the stereo bus of many the world's top engineers and producers. Considered the best of the Paul Wolff-era API circuit designs, this iconic hardware is relied upon to deliver energy, movement, and tone to stereo mixes and subgroups.
Available in the UAD Store for $299, the API 2500 Bus Compressor plug-in for UAD-2 hardware and Apollo interfaces is an emulation of this classic compressor, capturing its all-discrete circuit path with Thrust circuitry and features a fanatically detailed modeling of API's custom transformers and 2510 and 2520 op amps.
Using "for-your eyes-only" schematics made available to Universal Audio by API, their team of DSP experts analyzed two classic API 2500s — rackmount and in-console — ensuring one of UA's tightest behavioral circuit models to date — and the definitive representation of this iconic compressor.
API 2500 Bus Compressor Plug-In Key Features:
- Painstakingly modeled by Universal Audio's plug-in design team, licensed and authenticated by Automated Processes, Inc..
- Provides the entire circuit path and control set of the API hardware including custom API op amps and transformers.
- Signature API 2500 features include patented Thrust sidechain filtering, "New" and "Old" Compressor Types, and Variable Sidechain Link.
- Plug-in-only features include Dry/Wet parallel processing and Headroom for user-customizable operating level.
- Artist presets from Jeff Balding (Faith Hill, Trace Adkins), Vance Powell (Chris Stapleton, Jack White), Ryan Hewitt (The Avett Brothers, Red Hot Chili Peppers) and more.
Developed for the UAD Powered Plug-Ins platform by Softube, the Chandler Limited Zener Limiter plug-in is an exacting emulation of the high-end hardware. Inspired by the iconic EMI TG limiters and rare RS168 from Abbey Road Studios, the Chandler Limited Zener Limiter is an evolution of the limiters used to track Pink Floyd and The Beatles, now reimagined to work in a modern context with a greatly expanded range and new settings. Softube emulated the Zener Limiter's circuits end-to-end, including its filter inductors, germanium transistors, transformers, and circuit nonlinearities.
Chandler Limited Zener Limiter Plug-In Key Features:
- Exacting emulation of this modern classic limiter for mixing and mastering, fully authenticated by Chandler Limited.
- Based on the vintage EMI limiters used to record The Beatles and Pink Floyd.
- Models entire Chandler Limited TG12413 Zener Limiter electronic path including transformers and circuit nonlinearities.
- Plug-in-only features include Mid/Side functionality and channel linking.
- Artist presets from Tony Maserati (Beyonce, Lady Gaga) Howard Willing (Gavin DeGraw, Smashing Pumpkins), Kevin Kadish (Meghan Trainor, Jason Mraz), and more included.
Developed by Brainworx exclusively for UAD-2 hardware and Apollo audio interfaces, the A/DA STD-1 Stereo Tapped Delay plug-in is an exacting emulation of the rare, cult classic analog rack unit. With its array of six bucket-brigade delays, LFO and modulation controls, and flexible panning, the A/DA STD-1 Stereo Tapped Delay is revered by guitarists for its complex modulation, and engineers who use it to widen signals and add unique spatial effects to vocals, drums, synths, and more.
A/DA STD-1 Stereo Tapped Delay Plug-In Key Features:
- Officially licensed and approved by A/DA Signal Processors.
- Exacting circuit emulation of this hard-to-find hardware including bucket-brigade-delay distortion nonlinearities.
- Six variable delay taps, each with independent stereo assignment.
- Powerful Delay section with internal modulation controls and precise mix parameters.
- Independent Dry/Wet mix control for each stereo output.
- Plug-in-only controls include internal soft peak limiter option for feedback module and noise floor control.
New Platform Features:
- Thunderbolt compatibility with Windows 10 PC systems.
- Console 2 software for Apollo FireWire models.
- Compatibility with Windows 10 Anniversary Update.
- Compatibility with macOS Sierra.
Other Enhancements and Changes:
- (Console 2) UAD plug-in categorization improvements.
- (Apollo) Unison technology for Ampeg SVT-VR & SVT3-Pro Bass Amps.
- (Apollo FireWire) Easily switch between Thunderbolt or FireWire connectivity via UAD Meter.
- (Apollo) Core Audio panel in Console Settings is renamed to I/O Matrix.
- (Neve 1073) Improvements to control surface behavior.
- (Neve 88RS) Control changes when bypassed take effect when re-enabled.
- (Fairchild 660/670) Improvements to output metering and control surface behavior.
- (Chandler Curve Bender) Mode control can be automated in Pro Tools.