|Type / Tags||MIDI FX / UtilityArpeggiatorAudio ManglerMIDI Arpeggiator|
Windows XP SP3 or later
VST, Standalone: OS/X 10.5 or later
AU: OS/X 10.6 or later
tested with Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin x64
What is hypercyclic?:
- an LFO-driven MIDI arpeggiator, gate effect and step sequencer.
- for mangling sustained MIDI input chords.
- the output of which can then drive other MIDI instruments.
- acts either as a VST or Audio Unit plugin for your DAW, or as a standalone application.
- the original hypercyclic won 2nd place in the KVRAudio.com Developer Challenge '07.
- the sweetspot for hypercyclic is the narrow border between chaos and regularity. Or, in other words, how to induce a certain pleasant randomness and syncopation, yet forcing everything to align again on the bar or beat boundaries.
How do you use it?:
- the main use for hypercyclic is to generate MIDI that can be recorded and/or sent to other plugins. However it also features a simple built-in synth for testing purposes.
- you can use two tempo-synced LFOs to modulate various parameters for creating interesting rhythmic effects and chord variations.
- a unique feature is the possiblity to modulate the sequencer step size itself, which is useful for creating glitchy stuttering effects.
- another thing you can use is a groove function for playing slightly off the beat. The groove parameters can also be modulated over time by the LFOs, adding to the rhythmic variation.
Now with 64-bit support.
Reviewed By DJark
December 30, 2017
Great vst. Thanks so much for providing this free. Great work. I especially like it when using for drones or ambient pieces, gives the sound structure a whole new level of greatness.Read more
Reviewed By data salad
June 24, 2016
Crazy hypnotic tool for controlling my analog synths, i checked alot of those arpeggiator plugins and this one is real dope plus its free.Read more
Reviewed By jacobh
December 3, 2015
Love the fact that this is free! There is a shortage of innovative arps out there, and this one is very interesting. I like the concept of an arp which can be controlled by an LFO. Most arpeggiators don't have LFOs.Read more
Reviewed By anp27
March 15, 2015
Hypercyclic is a step sequencer that can give you interesting glitchy type effects when used effectively. It is free so it's a no-brainer to check out.
Note to the developer: Please port this wonderful plugin over as a MIDI FX insert in Logic X, that would be amazing.Read more