GForce impOSCar 3 is here

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Does GForce continue to offer upgrade pricing after their initial release sales, and if so what is the typical regular upgrade price? I can't remember from their previous releases.
Softsynth addict and electronic music enthusiast.
"Destruction is the work of an afternoon. Creation is the work of a lifetime."

Sorted
Last edited by ramseysounds on Fri May 17, 2024 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I wonder what happens if I press this button...

EDIT: I'm pretty sure my experience is based on an intermittent bug, so see my edits.

So, here's my mini review of the 3 upgrade.

4 out of 5 stars.

I just compared the naked saw on 2 vs 3, and they are quite different. 3 has a much attenuated high end. Looks like this is true for all the waveforms, including wavetables, though when I look at them in an oscilloscope, they don't look that far off, though there's some signs of aliasing on the v2 wave that's not in v3. If you travel up the keyboard the sawtooth on 3 starts looking like a triangle wave, as if there's a fixed low pass filter. This seems to be a bug, but it's really making the plugin sound very dark to me.

Going back today, same init patches, and I'm getting a different result with the plain sawtooth... so that's weird. This next part still checks out.

If you want to quickly check this out, load up 01HollowBass on both versions and prepare to weep. If this is closer to the OG OSCar, I think it's worse. (this is still happening.

Next... I miss the old additive waves. BellLike02 sounds nothing like the same waveform in v3. If I go in and edit it by hand I can get closer, but WTF? Also, v3 is all smooth, while v2 had that nice old school digital grit. Where's the grit? WHERE ARE YOU HIDING IT? Evidently, behind a low pass filter. :lol:

Same with the waves, same init patch, but now when I change to one of the additive waves, it's fine.

UI, much improved... and still crappy. I don't care how the OSCar was, please set up the controls in a way that visually makes sense.

The new reverb sounds OK. Sort of grainy, which I guess goes with the theme.

Opinion unchanged. Not a big deal, as there are plenty of great sounding smooth reverbs if I don't want this type of character.

Evidently you can't modulate the wavetable with an envelope. I don't even know where to start with that stupidity. Fail.

OK, you can do this, though it's not obvious, and you lose an LFO. I think they should just have it work like PW works. It's the same knob that's labeled PW/WT.

Wavetable editor is fine, but no wavetable import is a bummer. I'd rather have that than this very basic editor.

Opinion unchanged. I'd still like to see basic wavetable import.

Overall a pretty good update. I was all excited by the hyperbole and I didn't even bother to demo it. Stupid me. I hope they fix all the issues, or I'll probably keep using v2.

Overall a pretty good update, but there is definitely some sort of bug happening. Next time I experience it, I'll make a recording. I tried hopping around different patches and going back to the init (which I realized by default does not have the filter open, but I altered it) and it sounds OK now.
Last edited by zerocrossing on Fri May 17, 2024 6:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Medenka wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 2:27 pm It certainly looks as if the UI (and patch browser look too) was made by old people....
:hihi:

Looks fine to me, but I'm 'old people' too.

Greenstorm33 wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 8:16 pm Does GForce continue to offer upgrade pricing after their initial release sales, and if so what is the typical regular upgrade price? I can't remember from their previous releases.
yes i can just update string maschines for 39 pounds

felis wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 10:36 pm
Medenka wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 2:27 pm It certainly looks as if the UI (and patch browser look too) was made by old people....

Looks fine to me, but I'm 'old people' too.
They need to make it that when you save over a patch it goes back to the patch list. As it is now, this old person doesn't like to close the browser and reopen it just to be able to get to the next patch on the list.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

sacer wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 10:51 pm
Greenstorm33 wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 8:16 pm Does GForce continue to offer upgrade pricing after their initial release sales, and if so what is the typical regular upgrade price? I can't remember from their previous releases.
yes i can just update string maschines for 39 pounds
Perfect, thanks!
Softsynth addict and electronic music enthusiast.
"Destruction is the work of an afternoon. Creation is the work of a lifetime."

zerocrossing wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 10:36 pmI didn't even bother to demo it. Stupid me. I hope they fix all the issues, or I'll probably keep using v2.
Ummm, how did you do the waveform comparisons if you didn't bother to demo the instrument? Good to know it's not worth bothering with, though, as I am perfectly happy with the impOSCar I have and I certainly see no benefit in yet another wavetable synth. It's strange that they would alter the sound, unless it now sounds even more like the original than it did (which doesn't bother me, one way or the other).
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

It sound gorgeous, i don't mind if it's not close to the original

BONES wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 12:38 am
zerocrossing wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 10:36 pmI didn't even bother to demo it. Stupid me. I hope they fix all the issues, or I'll probably keep using v2.
Ummm, how did you do the waveform comparisons if you didn't bother to demo the instrument?
Bought it without demoing it, presumably

zerocrossing wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 10:36 pm So, here's my mini review of the 3 upgrade.

2 out of 5 stars.

I just compared the naked saw on 2 vs 3, and they are quite different. 3 has a much attenuated high end. Looks like this is true for all the waveforms, including wavetables, though when I look at them in an oscilloscope, they don't look that far off, though there's some signs of aliasing on the v2 wave that's not in v3. If you travel up the keyboard the sawtooth on 3 starts looking like a triangle wave, as if there's a fixed low pass filter. This seems to be a bug, but it's really making the plugin sound very dark to me. If you want to quickly check this out, load up 01HollowBass on both versions and prepare to weep. If this is closer to the OG OSCar, I think it's worse.

Next... I miss the old additive waves. BellLike02 sounds nothing like the same waveform in v3. If I go in and edit it by hand I can get closer, but WTF? Also, v3 is all smooth, while v2 had that nice old school digital grit. Where's the grit? WHERE ARE YOU HIDING IT? Evidently, behind a low pass filter. :lol:

UI, much improved... and still crappy. I don't care how the OSCar was, please set up the controls in a way that visually makes sense.

Evidently you can't modulate the wavetable with an envelope. I don't even know where to start with that stupidity. Fail.

Wavetable editor is fine, but no wavetable import is a bummer. I'd rather have that than this very basic editor.

Overall a poor update. I was all excited by the hyperbole and I didn't even bother to demo it. Stupid me. I hope they fix all the issues, or I'll probably keep using v2.
Also
zerocrossing wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 2:10 pm impOSCar 3 is awesome

seafire wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 3:49 am
BONES wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 12:38 am
Ummm, how did you do the waveform comparisons if you didn't bother to demo the instrument?
Bought it without demoing it, presumably
I’ve been so happy with all their software and upgrades, and the comments here were completely positive, so I got sucked in. I should no better than to assume people know what they’re talking about.
Zerocrossing Media

seafire wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 3:54 am
zerocrossing wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 10:36 pm So, here's my mini review of the 3 upgrade.

2 out of 5 stars.

I just compared the naked saw on 2 vs 3, and they are quite different. 3 has a much attenuated high end. Looks like this is true for all the waveforms, including wavetables, though when I look at them in an oscilloscope, they don't look that far off, though there's some signs of aliasing on the v2 wave that's not in v3. If you travel up the keyboard the sawtooth on 3 starts looking like a triangle wave, as if there's a fixed low pass filter. This seems to be a bug, but it's really making the plugin sound very dark to me. If you want to quickly check this out, load up 01HollowBass on both versions and prepare to weep. If this is closer to the OG OSCar, I think it's worse.

Overall a poor update. I was all excited by the hyperbole and I didn't even bother to demo it. Stupid me. I hope they fix all the issues, or I'll probably keep using v2.
Also
zerocrossing wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 2:10 pm impOSCar 3 is awesome
It can definitely sound awesome. I hope they fix the weird low-pass stuff and the inability to modulate the wave index with the envelopes, then it will truly be awesome.
Zerocrossing Media

Just messing :tu:

Gam456 wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 12:59 am It sound gorgeous, i don't mind if it's not close to the original
I agree. I never used v2 (too tiny) after getting it for free.

Sounds good and more “alive” than many purported analog emulations, including a certain one that just came out. Don’t know what the hardware sounded like. I also use it conceptually as an analog synth with digital oscillators rather than as a wavetable synth and set my expectations accordingly.

$35 well spent.

Return to “Instruments”