Plugin Alliance releases Brainworx bx_console N with Intro Offer
5th October 2017
Plugin Alliance and Brainworx have announced the release of bx_console N, which builds on bx_console, the channel strip model of Brainworx Founder/CEO Dirk Ulrich's personal Neve VXS large-format analog mixing console with patent-pending TMT (Tolerance Modeling Technology) that delivers 72 unique channels reproducing the analog characteristics of the original console.
bx_console N takes the concept several stages further, featuring a new THD (Total Harmonic Distortion) knob that adds saturation to the signal, simulating levels of pleasing distortion found when overdriving a real-world analog console in addition to bringing definition to sounds. The Random Channel function randomly assigns a TMT channel to either one instance or all instances of bx_console N in a session, so users can easily introduce analog nonlinearities from channel variation into their mix — just like when working with a real-world analog console.
Brainworx Founder/CEO Dirk Ulrich says "When we modeled the console, we found out that there are about 150 components in the schematics for where the parts have tolerances, and we were able to capture these tolerances in a realistic way, so you get 72 different channels in the plugin. There are some channel strip emulations out there already, but they never captured the most important thing, which is when you mix on a real console, every channel sounds a little bit different. That's very important when you mix stereo channels, because the left and right play-out of the two channels is never exactly the same, giving you some phasing issues — in a positive way. This, I believe, is what people mean when they say, 'An analog mix sounds bigger and wider.' This is exactly what we've captured in this plugin."
- Models the rare, large-format Neve VXS analog mixing console, offering 72 different channels.
- Channel randomization feature lets you instantly assign a unique TMT channel number to every instance of the plugin in your entire session (up to 72 channels).
- Full-featured channel strip includes a Compressor/Limiter, Expander/Gate, 4-band EQ, and wide-ranging High Pass and Low Pass filters.
- Tolerance Modeling Technology (TMT, Patent Pending) simulates channel-to-channel variances in electronic components for the most realistic analog sound.
- EQ can be placed before or after the Dynamics section (Compressor/Limiter and Expander/Gate) in the audio path, or routed to the Dynamics' sidechain.
- Frequency ranges for the High Pass and Low Pass filters can be independently shifted by a factor of three, greatly expanding tone-shaping capabilities.
- Compressor/Limiter features continuously variable Threshold, Ratio, Release, (makeup) Gain, and wet/dry Mix controls; an adjustable threshold control for a secondary, exponential release function; an auto-release mode; two alternate attack times and threshold ranges; and a dedicated, continuously variable High Pass filter in its sidechain.
- Compressor/Limiter allows linking all channels (stereo or surround) within a single multi-channel plugin instance.
- Expander/Gate features continuously variable Threshold, Range and Release controls; two alternate Threshold ranges; and a Fast-attack switch.
- Gate features continuously variable Hysteresis control that prevents on-off chattering when input signal level fluctuates around the threshold.
- Invert function lets you hear just the portion of signal that will be gated or expanded, helping you quickly set the most effective threshold.
- Expander/Gate can be keyed by an external sidechain input signal.
- Continuously variable THD control adds colorful saturation independently per channel.
- Continuously variable Virtual Gain control adds simulated analog noise independently per channel for extra analog vibe.
- Comprehensive metering and monitoring facilities incl. M/S solo features.
- EUCON parameter mapping provided for Avid console controllers, including the S6 and S6L.
Intro price: $179 (Reg. $299). Owners of bx_console who purchased bx_console E and/or bx_console G get bx_console N for free. Owners of bx_console who have not purchased bx_console E or G can upgrade for $29.
KVR Audio, Inc.